Sign in to follow this  
king82

Bo's banana's are gonna split somebody

Huge Buckeye, Bo, Graham fan.  But he's doing something, although legal at this time, that could seriously injure somebody.  Did it to his own cousin in B1G finals, to Ringer.  Both times matches stopped while his opponents recovered. For third, Morse looked like he knew what was coming and rolled backwards to make it stop. I think it's dirty and he doesn't need to do it to win.

I've seen the splits used this way the last two years now (on hs level as well) and I agree. Most of the time the defending wrestler doesn't go over but needs to take injury time. I have a feeling the splits may become pd after a few second/lack of action in the near future.

Huge Buckeye, Bo, Graham fan.  But he's doing something, although legal at this time, that could seriously injure somebody.  Did it to his own cousin in B1G finals, to Ringer.  Both times matches stopped while his opponents recovered. For third, Morse looked like he knew what was coming and rolled backwards to make it stop. I think it's dirty and he doesn't need to do it to win.

There was another match that got stopped because the opponent was in pain from that type of ride. Sulzer? Can't recall, but he is putting pressure on the down man's leg and I think that is when the rule is to be inforced. Only problem is that it is very hard to actually see what is happening until the bottom man is in pain. 

Kid is a great wrestler, but that move is going to wreck someone. 

Edited by TBar1977

This is a dangerous technique.  I had a Big 10 Champ/AA blow out my knee several years ago by kicking out my opposite knee while lacing the near leg.  It puts a ton of pressure on the knee and groin.  Literally heard the knee pop...yet I was dumb enough to keep wrestling.  3 months of rehab soon followed. 

This could really hurt a kid.  Also, the injury time resulting in an advantage to the other kid is, yet another, stupid rule!  Why does the opponent get an advantage when a kid gets hurt, especially if a questionable technique leads to the injury?  It is one thing to call for injury time when you are about to be put on your back, but  Dieringer, Moisey and Port were penalized when they were legitimately hurt.  Modify this stupid rule to limit it to situations when a kid is using injury to prevent a turn or points being scored.  Does anyone think Dierenger was "faking" it?  Sheesh

This isn't high school wrestling, this is D 1 NCAA. Bo also cranks hard on the shoulder with his half nelson when he throws in legs. If a guy doesn't want to have a shoulder strain or a groin pull they need to 1)Not get put in that position and defend the move or   2) Roll over toward his back and give up back points and potentially give up the fall. 

This isn't high school wrestling, this is D 1 NCAA. Bo also cranks hard on the shoulder with his half nelson when he throws in legs. If a guy doesn't want to have a shoulder strain or a groin pull they need to 1)Not get put in that position and defend the move or   2) Roll over toward his back and give up back points and potentially give up the fall. 

I see. So you're ok with purposely injuring your opponent. Your mindset is the reason this should be looked at by the rules committee.

I see. So you're ok with purposely injuring your opponent. Your mindset is the reason this should be looked at by the rules committee.

I see. So you want to add another rule to wrestling and eliminate a scoring option in a sport that is already struggling for offensive scoring. A move that has been used for decades with no problems. Are you Jackson Morse's mother or something? Next we can add a rule that says no touching the head to set up a shot because someone might get poked in the eye. This is wrestling dude. 

Not that I disagree with you entirely, BUT I have watched him have opponents on their backs and they were still screaming out in pain.  Going over and giving up backs doesn't make the pain go away.  When multiple division 1 wrestlers including all americans and champions are crying out, I think the pressure from the move is out of the ordinary and not of the run of the mill power half variety.  

I see. So you want to add another rule to wrestling and eliminate a scoring option in a sport that is already struggling for offensive scoring. A move that has been used for decades with no problems. Are you Jackson Morse's mother or something? Next we can add a rule that says no touching the head to set up a shot because someone might get poked in the eye. This is wrestling dude. 

Thanks for your sincere and heartfelt efforts to  inform me as to which sport I am watching and at what level.  I'm sure Jackson Morse would be happy you referenced his mother. Other than that you still haven't answered the question.  Are you in favor of purposely injuring an opponent?  Because scoring options are so few we can't risk Bo not being able to hurt people.  And people who are constantly agitating over low scoring should probably find a different sport to follow.  Like, I dunno, basketball.

Edited by king82

In the all star meet at Lehigh in 1983 Roger frizzell put one on Ricky rindfuss winning by default.I think he was done for the year. I don't see him in the brackets for ncaas that year and he was seeded the year before. I remember thinking it was pretty brutal when I saw it. The move itself or any given move doesn't have to be specifically written as illegal to be called illegal when used for punishment

Except when he does it when he's not down in a match. See state finals, senior year; 3rd place match yesterday.

I believe his schalles cradle and banana split are two different moves.  Similar but different pressure being applied. 

I believe his schalles cradle and banana split are two different moves.  Similar but different pressure being applied. 

By Schalles cradle do you mean a spladle? Because he didn't hit that in either match.

Guest Kingsland

A spladle is off a shot, a banana split (spread eagle) is off a cross body leg ride. At least that's what I was taught. Bo's was a banana split

He doesn't have a problem putting the submission hold on his own kin.  Isaac actually chuckled about tapping out during the match in an interview.

It must hurt like hell but its  hard to see where the pain is generated from.

spladle doesn't necessarily have to be off a shot.  both hurt like hell but I don't necessarily think they should be illegal.  I know that when I ran my butcher I definitely tried to make it as uncomfortable as possible with my crossface.

if its used intentionally to hurt someone or get choice due to an injury time I think something should be done about it but then you're turning it into a judgement call on the ref and I think we have plenty of those already.

I haven't looked at the video of Bo's banana split yet. When I was at OU Tommy Evans showed a counter to the crossbody ride when the opponent locks up for the banana split. It had been a move I used in HS, after learning that counter I never used the banana split again. The Spadle doesn't have to be off the shot, i know three different versions, one is the spadle/cradle which prevents the bottom man from kicking either leg.

Exactly. Kimuras and Americanas should be allowed. Your choice. Get pinned or get it broken. *sarcasm