Sign in to follow this  
BraunMann

Martinez at 154

Mentioned at his post NCAA presser he plans to try to make a World Team at this weight.

Marable wasn't even a NCAA champion.

Welch and Green have proven soft in the big matches time and time again.

Can anybody stop Martinez?

Dustin Schlatter had this type of freshman year and never won it again. He did make a world team. I would say why not he just did something only Cael has done in the last 20 years! Can' t wait for Open and trials! Also I want to see Gadsen at 213!

Mentioned at his post NCAA presser he plans to try to make a World Team at this weight.

You say he wasn't an NCAA champion but lets keep in mind the world team trials will be in a different style than Marable competed under while wrestling in college.   

And keep in mind, the last time Martinez was on a freestyle mat, he was getting teched out of the building by a high schooler.   

Marable will be a substantial favorite over anyone not named Schlatter 

You say he wasn't an NCAA champion but lets keep in mind the world team trials will be in a different style than Marable competed under while wrestling in college.   

And keep in mind, the last time Martinez was on a freestyle mat, he was getting teched out of the building by a high schooler.   

Marable will be a substantial favorite over anyone not named Schlatter 

True, he was pretty bad in par terre in that match.

But if he's as hard to take down as he's been this NCAA season, should be interesting to see what transpires.

Edited by BraunMann

Jason Welch pinned a bronze medalist up a weightclass.

Marable has improved tremendously every time out since beating Burroughs

James Green has probably the best freestyle training partner on planet earth

Schlatter seems healthy and motivated and is getting used to the new freestyle rules fast

Martinez has a sky-high ceiling, but there are plenty of guys who will make it hard for him, and can match every iota of his athleticism.

Oh yeah, let steel sharpen steel. Congrats to IMar, what a run. Will be fun to see him enter 70 with the big boys. Anything can happen, but I'm not writing this kid off yet. Love his attitude on and off the mat.

If I may change gears (actually weight class) from the OP, did Logan say what weight he'll enter this spring. Will he stay at 65 and battle with Metcalf, Pico, Oliver and others, or does he try to make it back down to 61?

US Open and Trials should be wild this year.

Steiber was 5th at 65kg in the last USAW rankings, and it seems like he would have a tough time going up to see all those other guys mentioned above at 70kg.  Training freestyle full time he could definitely pass Moliaro, Pico, and Oliver.  Steiber vs. Metcalf could be a serious grude match on the horizon.

Steiber pass Pico?  

Come on guys, Pico is not getting passed.  

He's the one coming up quickly in the fast lane.  He's the one doing the passing.  

He's the #2 ranked guy in the United States now as a high schooler.  

Give him by this time next year and he will be untouchable domestically and right there with the very best in the world.   He's just that good.   

65kg is probably my favorite weight class (one reason - cause it would be my weight class if I had to enter, lol), and I have no idea who to root for here. Metcalf, Pico, JO and Logan are all right there as some of my favorite wrestlers in the world. Also had the privilege to meet Metcalf and JO on separate occasions, and both guys were complete class acts to me.

As far as the wrestling at 65, I guess Brent has to be the favorite, but geez, whoever gets hot can win this thing IMO. Nonetheless, have a feeling USA's 65kg rep will finally end the medal drought this year.

Also, didn't Pico and Logan have a simulated World match right before Jr. World's last summer? Thought I read that Logan won, but might be wrong on this.

(Sorry for digressing from IMar and the OP.)

65kg is probably my favorite weight class (one reason - cause it would be my weight class if I had to enter, lol), and I have no idea who to root for here. Metcalf, Pico, JO and Logan are all right there as some of my favorite wrestlers in the world. Also had the privilege to meet Metcalf and JO on separate occasions, and both guys were complete class acts to me.

As far as the wrestling at 65, I guess Brent has to be the favorite, but geez, whoever gets hot can win this thing IMO. Nonetheless, have a feeling USA's 65kg rep will finally end the medal drought this year.

Also, didn't Pico and Logan have a simulated World match right before Jr. World's last summer? Thought I read that Logan won, but might be wrong on this.

(Sorry for digressing from IMar and the OP.)

Pico got the better of Steiber the first day.

Steiber got the better of Pico the second day

Pico got the better of Steiber the first day.

Steiber got the better of Pico the second day

Thanks CA, not at all surprised to hear those results. Albeit, I never met Steiber or Pico yet, but they both seem like great, classy young men.

To clarify, I think Logan is technically more skilled than Pico at the moment, and by 'pass' I mean that by fully adapting his training and mindset he would (possibly) be able to surpass Pico et al. currently above him on the U.S. ladder rapidly.  Considered over the long-term, Pico has the most room for career growth and improvement, but fully commited Steiber could blaze by him now that he is off the folkstyle dead-end detour.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Find it comical to believe that a 4 time national champ would not be favored over a would be junior in high school. I know Pico is amazing, but I just don't believe he has the man strength to compete with Stieber or Metcalf. I could be wrong, but Ill stick to my guns until he does beat them. 

Keep in mind freeze, while Steiber is winning folkstyler titles against college kids, Pico is touring the world and beating senior reps from some of the best wrestling countries in the world.   They don't take into consideration your NCAA resume when ranking for freestyle, the rest of the world would be unranked (no NCAA credentials).  

Pico is just that good.   Whooped up a recent world champion last year and just torched the field at Cuba, including the Ohio state kid raned ahead of Steiber, 5-0.   The bout was not close.   

Keep in mind freeze, while Steiber is winning folkstyler titles against college kids, Pico is touring the world and beating senior reps from some of the best wrestling countries in the world.   They don't take into consideration your NCAA resume when ranking for freestyle, the rest of the world would be unranked (no NCAA credentials).  

Pico is just that good.   Whooped up a recent world champion last year and just torched the field at Cuba, including the Ohio state kid raned ahead of Steiber, 5-0.   The bout was not close.   

Pico lost to Heil, who isn't even an NCAA Champion.  Nearly lost to a Japanese guy at Junior Worlds and got dominated by an Iranian in the finals of Junior Worlds.

Do you think he makes a US World team?

Edited by BraunMann

Pico lost to Heil, who isn't even an NCAA Champion.  Nearly lost to a Japanese guy at Junior Worlds and got dominated by an Iranian in the finals of Junior Worlds.

Do you think he makes a US World team?

Yes the defeat to Heil as an 8th grader stands out as a very bad mark on his record.   I'm not sure if the undefeated California state championship as a frosh, or the cadet world title, or even the junior world silver medal since then makes up for his ugly showing against the non NCAA champion, Heil.   

I'll forward your concerns to his coaching staff and see if we can't somehow come up with a way to have that put behind him and produce some key wins in order to restore your faith in his ability.   

I do believe he will continue to make US world teams

Thank you for your input

Yes the defeat to Heil as an 8th grader stands out as a very bad mark on his record.   I'm not sure if the undefeated California state championship as a frosh, or the cadet world title, or even the junior world silver medal since then makes up for his ugly showing against the non NCAA champion, Heil.   

I'll forward your concerns to his coaching staff and see if we can't somehow come up with a way to have that put behind him and produce some key wins in order to restore your faith in his ability.   

I do believe he will continue to make US world teams

Thank you for your input

The loss to Heil was during his freshman year at Super 32s

Edited by BraunMann

Keep in mind freeze, while Steiber is winning folkstyler titles against college kids, Pico is touring the world and beating senior reps from some of the best wrestling countries in the world. They don't take into consideration your NCAA resume when ranking for freestyle, the rest of the world would be unranked (no NCAA credentials).

Pico is just that good. Whooped up a recent world champion last year and just torched the field at Cuba, including the Ohio state kid raned ahead of Steiber, 5-0. The bout was not close.

Yeah he is legit... It's too bad we're going to lose him to mma. Edited by Buckxell