Sign in to follow this  
meloserio

Six Time State Champs

Now that all the high school tournaments have concluded, I was trying to figure out who Mark Hall could potentially be joining next season as a six time state champ. I was able to come up with these names so far:

Kirk Wallman, South Dakota

Michael Sutton, Alabama

Logan Storley, South Dakota

Brandon Womack, Alabama

Obviously not every state has a varsity eligibility rule for 6th-7th-8th graders and winning six time doesn't necessarily make you any better than a guy who won two three or four, but it is a pretty special accomplishment. Does anybody know if there are more than these four?

Yea, if at first you don't succeed (2nd place in Kentucky)...just hold him back and try again.

Another internet "tough guy" behind a computer screen talking bad about a high schooler....get a life!

Another internet "tough guy" behind a computer screen talking bad about a high schooler....get a life!

Not trying to be a tough guy behind a computer screen, just stating the facts.  Mark Hall is an exceptional wrestler who has worked hard for everything he has accomplished. I actually like him as a wrestler for his style and can't wait to see him in college.

4x, 5x, 6x.... not something one is likely to see coming out of CA.

I don't think 7th and 8th graders are eligible in CA, and given the state's size and 1 class system, it is extremely rare to even have a 4x'er - only one in its history so far.  The number of 3x'ers isn't very large, maybe 20 plus or minus.

Small states or states with multiple divisions are far more likely to have kids winning 4 or more titles.

4x, 5x, 6x.... not something one is likely to see coming out of CA.

I don't think 7th and 8th graders are eligible in CA, and given the state's size and 1 class system, it is extremely rare to even have a 4x'er - only one in its history so far.  The number of 3x'ers isn't very large, maybe 20 plus or minus.

Small states or states with multiple divisions are far more likely to have kids winning 4 or more titles.

Rosie Palms,

No one is winning CA as an 8th grader.   Cade and Pico may have had a shot at it, I really don't know.   They both blasted the field state and nationally as 9th graders.  one has to believe they would have been right there a year earlier, depending on who was in their weight class.   Cade may have been a little too small for the weight.  

I can't imagine a 7 year HS career,  It must have been the coolest thing, being a junior high kid, crossing over to the HS part of campus, and being a state champ twice and runner up once, before ever entering HS

Any idea how Nickerson's placing went?  

Winning as a 7th or 8th grader is cool but may be a sign of a weak weight, state, or classification. Most boys just aren't physically mature enough to go against upper classmen.

Basically true.

In CA, even for a 9th grader to win a state championship is exceedingly rare.

I think if one excludes 103#er's, no one had ever won state in CA as a 9th grader until Louis Bland won 152# in 2005. 

Sidenote - as rare as it is, both Valencia bros won CA state as 9th graders

I spell it

M-S-R-E-D-S-H-I-R-T

• You mean a 100% legal practice of holding your child back?  
  • Why does this bother you if it is totally legal?  
  • Why does anyone care if a kid graduated HS at 17 or 19?  
  • People who actually care about this--I would say spell out their insecure need to boost their ego's by putting down a kid and his family because they did what they felt was best for both of them.
  • I am sure there are MANY kids who graduated HS at 17 who thought--:"Gee... maybe I was not ready... maybe I should have stayed back a year."
  • But people obsessed with "How things should be" will never be able to comprehend such simple concepts.

I don't get it.   They don;'t mind their 14 year old frosh wrestling an 18 year old senior but they are pissed they have to wrestle a 15 year old frosh.   

Pico caught so much heat for winning a state championship as a 15 year old.   What exactly is wrong with that?  He won all the age groups and on track to graduate by 18.   On the senior national ladder ranked 3rd and already a world champion and world runner up in age divisions (cadet and junior).   If anything the kid is at a disadvantage if age is the end all, be all.   

I th9ink it's just a built in excuse.   "He's older for his grade", never mind he's younger than the upper classmen he's trouncing.   

Hs sports should be just that. If you are not yet in hs, wait your turn. It's not about pure competition, you are representing your school. I see no difference between a ms kid on a hs team and a college kid on a hs team. Plenty of true and even rs freshmen are of legal age.