Sign in to follow this  
heelpick

NCAA Post Mortem

I am not sure when or if the officials hold a post tournament meeting, but what do you think will and should be discussed? Important items in my own opinion. (In no particular order)

Ensuring a Miller/Realbutto never happens again. Score confirmation should not ever require a flag.

Video reviews - I don't like them, when they are used I believe reaction time should be considered and the slow motion doesn't allow for it. Wilps/Brown and locked hands

What do you think should be looked at?

The incentive structure around coaches' video reviews.  We heard a number of times yesterday on the broadcast, "Well, their team has no more wrestlers in the finals so they might as well use them."  I'd like to see video reviews used on really egregious cases, where the coach truly feels like a mistake has been made.  In the NFL the coaches lose a timeout on a bad challenge, but I don't know what the equivalent could be wrestling coaches to deter them from just adopting a 'why not use it I might get lucky' kind of approach.

100 % agree that score confirmation shoul not require a flag.........committee had a chance to do the right thing on Friday but they blew it.

What percentage of calls are over turned after video reviews?.......... It seemed like the call on the mat was almost always upheld...........wrestling refs seem resistant to changing their calls.

If they are going to keep video reviews then they have to remove the challenge from the coaches.  Instead, let the coaches ask for a challenge and the refs then decide if they think it is should be reviewed. 

What I really want to see is happen is a complete line by line review of scorekeeping, timekeeping, and the absolute obligation on the part of the respective crews to keep an accurate score. Then I want to see a public apology from the officials association, the NCAA and that particular table crew that they made a mistake.

I thought (Rakkasan, please correct me if I'm wrong) that locked hands for any length of time during a ride was enough time for a call of it...it was only after establishment of control (be it via takedown or reversal) that you had reaction time to release the locked hands. Am I mistaken?

Here's an idea.

As many video challenges as you want, but each lost challenge costs you a team point.

Video cannot be reviewed by the referees that made the call, but by an independent panel of referees (maybe up in a media booth).

I"m not sure what the right solution is, but video can show things. 

In the 05 final I saw Simpson of Army out on a switch type move and Esposito just sucked him right back in, and I couldn't figure out what had happened.  I was taping it and when I watched the tape slowed down, it appeared that Esposito locked hands very, very briefly and pulled Simpsons hips back in.  Ref never saw it.  (Plus Im not swearing to it either since I only watched it the one time, but it sure looked like it in slow motion.)

100 % agree that score confirmation shoul not require a flag.........committee had a chance to do the right thing on Friday but they blew it.

What percentage of calls are over turned after video reviews?.......... It seemed like the call on the mat was almost always upheld...........wrestling refs seem resistant to changing their calls.

Here is my conspiracy theory for this - at the end of the year, when the numbers are tallied, the refs and all others realize that hey! only 1% of all reviews were overturned. I guess the refs really do know what they are talking about.

I like the idea of a challenge but they should use the NFL rule when it comes to challenges, you cant challenge a penalty call, you cant challenge that there should have been a penalty call. While I do agree Wilps locked, I dont think its a good part of the system that he should be able to challenge and the refs look for a tv. Challenge the calls on the mat, nf, td, escapes, etc etc, but not penalty points.

Also, I'd prefer throwing the cube for a challenge. Much more dramatic than waiving a flag. I think it was at Jr. Worlds last year that they replaced the cube in a big "angry bird" head. That was fun.

Also, I'd prefer throwing the cube for a challenge. Much more dramatic than waiving a flag. I think it was at Jr. Worlds last year that they replaced the cube in a big "angry bird" head. That was fun.

Yeah idk about that one, too much of an opportunity for one of the Brands brothers to launch it at the refs head mid back points count..

Stalling.  Playing the edge.   No real effort at offense disguised by pushing and pulling on the opponent.   

Kokesh vs Wilps match. Kokesh is in on 3 shots on the edge where Wilps does the splits and eventually gets too far off the mat (not via Kokesh but Wilps leaving the mat). This is either fleeing the mat or stalling. I would like to see a change here.