Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Port

I would like to give a small shoutout to Mitchell Port.  I was watching yesterday and after the 141 final espn pulled stieber to the side to interview him and Port walked right behind looking completely devestated walking back to the tunnel.

I was so caught up in all the 4xer hype and was so sure that Stieber was going to win that I forgot there was another immensely talented guy who put his heart and soul into this sport, and came so close to the top multiple years in a row (and probably wouldve been a champ if not for this phenom) only to fall short (in his eyes, certainly not mine).  

He and all the other wrestlers who competed this week and didn't fully realize their goals should walk with their heads way up.  I applaud you mitchell port thanks for giving us years of truly great, great wrestling.  I wish you the best of luck and hope you aren't hanging up your shoes for good.

Port had a great career.  2,3,2 at NCAA's and never a high school champ.  Always impressed with him in his interviews.  Seemed thoughtful and focused (sort of nerdy).  His presence at 141 made it a much tougher weight class.  He was a dominant player and one of the best wrestlers in the country at any weight.  

Port was a State Champ in PA and I am sure he was confident he could win going into the match. That's how champions think. I enjoyed listening to Schopp, Habat and Avery mention Port in their interviews. The common theme was that Port is an absolute hammer and exceptionally hard working. Port is a very nice kid too.

I can still see that look on Sean Bormet's face as he was walking off the mat after Pat Smith won his fourth.  I'd bet anything he fully expected to beat Smith.

Sean did fully expect to beat Smith, but in spite of that match, Sean has gone on to other greatnesses....including maybe giving Pat Smith his last loss in freestyle.

Port had a great career.  2,3,2 at NCAA's and never a high school champ.  Always impressed with him in his interviews.  Seemed thoughtful and focused (sort of nerdy).  His presence at 141 made it a much tougher weight class.  He was a dominant player and one of the best wrestlers in the country at any weight.  

Kinda need to know what you are talking about before posting..... Port was a States champion wrestling for Bellefonte (sp) HS in Pennsylvania. 

Why does this board go from being really good around the NCAA DI championships and then go stupid so fast when they are over? Kinda reminds me why wrestling is it's own worst enemy.

I've never had the mindset of a champ, and I'm usually baffled by it. 

A kid I used to coach told me that he could beat Ed Ruth. He believed that. Nobody else in the world believed that, but those doubts weren't even in there. He never found the opportunity to see this through, but I guarantee he would have been terribly disappointed if he lost to Ruth.

I've never had the mindset of a champ, and I'm usually baffled by it. 

A kid I used to coach told me that he could beat Ed Ruth. He believed that. Nobody else in the world believed that, but those doubts weren't even in there. He never found the opportunity to see this through, but I guarantee he would have been terribly disappointed if he lost to Ruth.

Exactly, as a competitor I never had those blinders either.

Exactly, as a competitor I never had those blinders either.

I think to compete at the highest level you have to go against logic and believe 100% that you are going to win.

That leads to disappointment for the 99% of the guys who miss their goals, but the only way to be at the top is to think that way.

Hat's off to all the young men who have the guts to dream/think that way.

Port won a PA AAA State championship his senior year at 130lbs and was a multiple time place winner.