Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Jordan Oliver tweet - Classy

Each one of wrestling's version of Mt. Rushmore has his own special claim, beyond his four titles:

1.  Pat "Neil Armstrong" Smith
2.  Cael "159 and zip" Sanderson

3.  Kyle "4 weights in 4 years" Dake
4.  Logan "I'll take a four-pack of Bigs and a four-pack of Nationals, please" Stieber

All 4 of the 4 timers are great.....to win 4 is amazing, but I saw all 4 of these guys throughout there whole careers, and Dake's feat of winning in 4 different wt. classes, and winning the final one against an amazing David Taylor is very special, but for me personally I really came to enjoy Logan Stieber this year.  He was alway so calm, cool and collected.  He was relentless on his feet, and just amazing on the top.  I think he's the greatest top wrestler of all time.  Most people use the term riding and pinning, I always used the term breakdowns and pinning.  Logan's top wrestling is breakdowns, tilts and pins.  He does this like no other.  I found myself at Big Tens and NCAA's watching his whole match with binoculars (which I don't normally do) to pick up the subtle little things he does on top to setup the many different tilts and turns he creates.  I found him to be very appreciative of the whole crowd and not just Buckeye Nation, as well as of course all of his coaches, team mates, family and more.  Logan brings a whole new meaning to "top" wrestling.

All 4 of the 4 timers are great.....to win 4 is amazing, but I saw all 4 of these guys throughout there whole careers, and Dake's feat of winning in 4 different wt. classes, and winning the final one against an amazing David Taylor is very special, but for me personally I really came to enjoy Logan Stieber this year.  He was alway so calm, cool and collected.  He was relentless on his feet, and just amazing on the top.  I think he's the greatest top wrestler of all time.  Most people use the term riding and pinning, I always used the term breakdowns and pinning.  Logan's top wrestling is breakdowns, tilts and pins.  He does this like no other.  I found myself at Big Tens and NCAA's watching his whole match with binoculars (which I don't normally do) to pick up the subtle little things he does on top to setup the many different tilts and turns he creates.  I found him to be very appreciative of the whole crowd and not just Buckeye Nation, as well as of course all of his coaches, team mates, family and more.  Logan brings a whole new meaning to "top" wrestling.

Of course that is a fair analysis but I tend to favor Cael because he always seemed to have a smile on his face. For him during the run wrestling was pure joy, and not the pressure and grind. I think all four had this attribute but for Cael is was almost like an artist with a canvas.I am not sure I have ever seen a more comfortable wrestler in folkstyle.  

Faz, I agree Logan is a hammer on top. And your "breaking down" and pinning is so true as well. Greatest of all time top wrestler is where i can't agree. Logan wrestles the top position of old school wrestlers and there were so many good ones I don't want to insult any of them by naming a few. What has happened is that freestyle influence has GREATLY effected mat wrestling and only a few of today's wrestlers could hang with the old school guys on the mat. I was actually talking to a HOF wrestler this week about doing camps solely dealing with mat wrestling. He thought it was a great idea. "Almost anyone can keep from getting pinned on bottom with such a lack of stalling being called. It takes some work to learn proper techniques of getting out/reversing. As well as good technique to secure pins." He and I are on the same page.

TO PHIL S..... I need your email to respond.

Edited by AKHUNTER

Faz, I agree Logan is a hammer on top. And your "breaking down" and pinning is so true as well. Greatest of all time top wrestler is where i can't agree. Logan wrestles the top position of old school wrestlers and there were so many good ones I don't want to insult any of them by naming a few. What has happened is that freestyle influence has GREATLY effected mat wrestling and only a few of today's wrestlers could hang with the old school guys on the mat. I was actually talking to a HOF wrestler this week about doing camps solely dealing with mat wrestling. He thought it was a great idea. "Almost anyone can keep from getting pinned on bottom with such a lack of stalling being called. It takes some work to learn proper techniques of getting out/reversing. As well as good technique to secure pins." He and I are on the same page.

LOL..... in the old days we used to have to walk 10 miles to school, in six feet of snow, uphill both ways.

My wife watched the interview  that ESPN did with him after the finals.  She didn't know who he was or anything he had accomplished and I told her what all the fuss was about.  Her comment was, "wow, what a humble kid."  That in itself speaks volumes.

Ironically, I was talking to a buddy who was at the championships with me last weekend about this thread....my comments, etc. how this thread started with Logan vs. Oliver, and all of a sudden I realized there was a controversy in the Pat Smith vs. very ironically Tom Ryan (Logan's coach) in the 1991 NCAA finals......I just went to my video library to review the call .....very controversial.....Gable's reaction to a takedown call on the edge was not made for television.....but you can read lips.....I've had Tom to my house years ago, while we were working a camp together, and a discussion came up about the call......so the Stieber/Oliver call isn't the only call that contributed to a 4 timer.....the score in the Ryan vs. P. Smith match was 7-6 I believe with the controversial call....and as far as AKHUNTER is concerned .....I understand what you are saying.....could name a couple of pinners (old school) myself, but Logan Stieber has taken (with the current rules) top wrestling to the level of John Smith with the low leg attack......but what do I know?????

Fadzaev2,

How can you compare anything Logan Stieber has done to John Smith's low leg attack? Smith set the world on fire with his techniques. He was a world champion during his college run, he beat world class wrestlers (former medalists/champion) using his low leg shots/finishes. Smith was known worldwide. He was on the REAL Fadzaev's radar.

I hope those facts don't get me another trolling accusation!

With every other sport looking to point out the negativity in our sport. His tweet is refreshing, involved in one of the most debated calls and he takes the high road for the betterment of his sport

I didn't realize other sports even noticed us, let alone all of them are looking to point out our negatives.   I'm starting to think our have have an inferiority complex and no one's even thinking of us.   

Fadzaev2,

How can you compare anything Logan Stieber has done to John Smith's low leg attack? Smith set the world on fire with his techniques. He was a world champion during his college run, he beat world class wrestlers (former medalists/champion) using his low leg shots/finishes. Smith was known worldwide. He was on the REAL Fadzaev's radar.

Top riding is not a a big part of freestyle.  If it were, Logan would be known world wide.  Plus, Stieber has some good international wins, I would not say he is unknown. 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

Jeffr_ideal,

Par terre is a big part of freestyle wrestling and Stieber is not known world wide for it. Stieber has had several chances to make the World/Olympic team, and he came up short every time. John Smith was "lighting up" the world with his techniques and winning big tournaments including the World championships while in college. That's a big difference. I don't want to go down the road of giving Logan Stieber hypothetical accolades, and then comparing those accolades to ones that Smith earned in the real world.

And I didn't see that Stieber was unknown. Sure some know him, but he wasn't known worldwide like John Smith. He's not respected the way that John Smith was.

Fadzaev2,

First off, he wasn't on Fadzaev's radar, as Arson was at 149.5 and John's competiton was Stephen Sarkissian (USSR) at 136.5. Secondly, I wasn't comparing credentials, merely saying Logan is to top wrestling as Smith is to the low leg attack.  But if you want to compare some credentials how about these.....

John Smith   NCAA's..........DNP, 2nd, 1st, 1st

Logan Steiber  NCAA's .....    1st, 1st, 1st, 1st

and that's what this thread is really about.....being a 4 timer

I'm just sayin'

the real Fadzaev2

First off, he wasn't on Fadzaev's radar, as Arson was at 149.5 and John's competiton was Stephen Sarkissian (USSR) at 136.5. Secondly, I wasn't comparing credentials, merely saying Logan is to top wrestling as Smith is to the low leg attack.  But if you want to compare some credentials how about these.....

John Smith   NCAA's..........DNP, 2nd, 1st, 1st

Logan Steiber  NCAA's .....    1st, 1st, 1st, 1st

and that's what this thread is really about.....being a 4 timer

I'm just sayin'

the real Fadzaev2

You don't need to tell me anything about the real Fadzaev, I know him personally.

I understand the comparison that you were trying to make, I was just pointing out that it was invalid. This is what I was responding to: "but Logan Stieber has taken (with the current rules) top wrestling to the level of John Smith with the low leg attack......but what do I know?????"

I strongly disagree. I don't think the facts support that assertion.

Fadzaev2,

I'm not trolling. It's sad that you believe pointing out a poor Stieber and John Smith comparison is trolling. I doubt anyone outside of  a handful of Stieber apologists would agree with your comparison.

Disagreeing with a comparison is now trolling. The boards have fallen very far.