Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Gulibon

133 pounds is a very deep weight with a lot of guys of similar skill level.  Cody Brewer emerged at NCAA's as a guy who was ahead of the field and AJ Schopp proved to be superior as well.  Then, maybe Dardanes and Clark.  After that foursome you had at least ten guys all good enough to AA.  There were only four spots.  

seemed to me Gulibon improved significantly from last year to this. if he can take another step forward...

will be interesting to see what 133 looks like next year. If the returning AAs all stay and if Cornell 125 moves up as many are saying...

some PSU line-up predictions have Gulibon moving to 141. Conaway or Mega at 125, reverse it at 133, Gulibon at 141 and Retherford at 149. I wonder if that is all wishful thinking to get those 4 in line-up or if there is insider knowledge of that as plan. Not sure how he'll do up a weight though. Doesn't seem a particulalrly big 133.

Expectations may have been too high for Gulibon, based on his high school accomplishments (134-4 career record, a 4x PA state champ, 4x Powerade national champ, etc.)  His RS freshman year, he was ranked # 14 by Intermat, was an unseeded NCAA qualifier, and won one match in the wrestlebacks.  This year, he came in as the # 7 seed and finished 5th.   So, I think he's making solid progress and has a relatively high ceiling.  Time,of course, will tell if he can continue to improve at the same rate.

KTG, I think PSU would be better off if Retherford held 141, but if he couldn't, then you adjust accordingly. I hope they stay the same weight. Conaway at 133 is no improvement over Beitz at 149. I guess Jimmy at a weaker 141 class could be a possible improvement over Jimmy at 133. The problem with jimmy and Zain moving up is that you open up an extra hole in 2016-2017. You might have to start a true freshman at 133 (Chad Red if they can close the deal) and hope to land Freddy Rodriguez as your stop-gap 125. Long-term they are better off with Zain at 141

Edited by LemonPie

I think he's referring to the fact that he was a top 5 recruit and the results haven't shown up. Possibly in response to the same type of thread questioning if Evans should have chosen Iowa.

Yes I was thinking of the Evans topic and thinking how gulibon was the #3 overall recruit while Clark was #23, and how gulibon dismantled Clark 10-3 at dapper dan... Fast forward a few years and Clark beats him to make the finals and is a 2x AA while gulibon only 1x AA. Edited by Buckxell

Yes I was thinking of the Evans topic and thinking how gulibon was the #3 overall recruit while Clark was #23, and how gulibon dismantled Clark 10-3 at dapper dan... Fast forward a few years and Clark beats him to make the finals and is a 2x AA while gulibon only 1x AA.

And yet if you fast forward with a forecast from his Ironman performances, he's could say that he's about right where he should be, regardless of Clark's improvement.

And this just shows the utter futility of attempting to predict college success from high school results. It is an indicator but nothing more. Every kid will develop differently once they get in the college room. 

Some will soar and some become Icarus.  

Gulibon defeated Clark earlier this year and has already placed higher then Evans ever did as a sophomore.

Matt Brown was ranked #77 while Evans was rated top 10 and Brown outplaced him 3 years in a row!!

Looks like yet another Troll FAIL!!!!

Yes gulibon went from whupping Clark, to beating him, to losing to him at the most important time. As Cletus referred to Caels ability to coach good offense, one would've hoped that he would've widened the gap since high school instead of losing at the most important time. It's just my opinion that he should've gone elsewhere, but lots would argue that the Iowa coaching staff has done a great job getting Clark to make improvements.

Gulibon defeated Clark earlier this year and has already placed higher then Evans ever did as a sophomore.

Matt Brown was ranked #77 while Evans was rated top 10 and Brown outplaced him 3 years in a row!!

Looks like yet another Troll FAIL!!!!

So you're saying Gulibon would beat Evans? Man, you PSU guys get crazy when you place outta the top 5. Is it because all those shirts with the "5" on them need to be replaced?

don't be surprised to see Mega take an ORS if he meets the criteria in the trials.  Retherford has already met the criteria for an ORS... however, I don't see him taking it.  I would project:

125:  Conaway, RS SR

133:  Gulibon, RS JR

141:  Retherford, RS SO

149:  Beitz,  RS JR

157:  Nolf,  RS FR

165:  pickem (?):  Law, Hammond, Rasheed, Brill

174:  Nickal, RS FR

184:  McCutheon, RS SO

197:  McInstosh, RS SR

285:  Nevill, RS FR

don't be surprised to see Mega take an ORS if he meets the criteria in the trials.  Retherford has already met the criteria for an ORS... however, I don't see him taking it.  I would project:

125:  Conaway, RS SR

133:  Gulibon, RS JR

141:  Retherford, RS SO

149:  Beitz,  RS JR

157:  Nolf,  RS FR

165:  pickem (?):  Law, Hammond, Rasheed, Brill

174:  Nickal, RS FR

184:  McCutheon, RS SO

197:  McInstosh, RS SR

285:  Nevill, RS FR

That would be my guess too.

Gulibon improved greatly from his first year wrestling in a PSU singlet. He got pounded by top 5 guys as a rsFR, but became one as a rsSoph. He only needs very, very slight improvement in his positioning to vie for the title. He is 3-1 lifetime vs. Clark, has multiple wins over Beckman now (who used to pound him) and he has beaten Taylor. He's right there. 

Gulibon improved greatly from his first year wrestling in a PSU singlet. He got pounded by top 5 guys as a rsFR, but became one as a rsSoph. He only needs very, very slight improvement in his positioning to vie for the title. He is 3-1 lifetime vs. Clark, has multiple wins over Beckman now (who used to pound him) and he has beaten Taylor. He's right there. 

Now you're saying he beats David Taylor too?!? What are you guys sniffing?

he just took 5th in a brutal weight class. to put his results thus far in perspective, they have been very close to Jeremy Hunter's. Hunter didn't red-shirt, but did he have a disappointing career? Dapper Dan hasn't always been the best indicator with everything that surrounds the dual. if you look at gulibon's deficiencies the biggest is his scrambling ability. I would put psu up there with some of the best development in scrambling. some guys just will never be that great in certain areas of wrestling. I would like to hear where he would be a better fit......

think he meant Ryan Taylor of Wisconsin.

You know, my putting certain posters on ignore this past weekend has been like scoring a TD and getting 5 quick swipes. I no longer even see the garbage that gets posted, and hence I am not arguing with these trolls. That is a win for the msg. board and a win for me as well.