Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Miller/Realbuto

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252093-2015-NCAA-D1-Championships/video/764633-NCAA-Made-Andrassy-The-Scapegoat#.VRB48PnF8UI

I know this is probably the 5th thread (at least) on this topic but I thought it was interesting hearing Kent State's interview, and changed my opinion a bit on the topic. It appears that the score was questioned at the table and the refs BOTH pushed Andrassy back to his corner and started his match. That is very different than what it sounded like on these boards. This being the case really makes me think the NCAA/officiating botched things badly and copped out of any responsibility whatsoever. Discuss or don't, it changed my opinion on Kent State so thought I others might feel the same.

I finally got to watch everything and hear the interviews from all parties. the explanation from the committee chairman was as bad is it gets when passing along blame. Andrassy said he asked if the score was right and the score sheet should have been examined at that time. most tables I saw this weekend had the computer scoring on track, a guy or two on paper scoring, then back up timers. the guy on the track system had to manually put the takedown in because the computer wouldn't allow the takedown to be scored without an escape going into the system. I was surprised the play-by-play at the table didn't mention the escape and call the score as it was happening too. so many chances for someone to catch it and it didn't happen, mind blowing. the score does not have to be challenged and Andrassy was told it was right. he met his obligation. the broken record comments about the challenge really bother me.

the committee had a chance to make it right and they didn't do it.  caught at the mat I would say you go into bad time at the :20 mark when the scoring error occurred. because they didn't catch their error when questioned I think you re-wrestle the bout. I have hated when fila has done this in the past, but it's a better option than what they chose to do. I don't think you can go to the bad time after guys have recovered and miller was totally gassed. to keep citing that the coaches had a chance to waive the challenge flag is totally disgusting to me.

*also keep in mind fila rewrestled matches usually applied to subjective scoring and judgments made about the action, not a counting error.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252093-2015-NCAA-D1-Championships/video/764633-NCAA-Made-Andrassy-The-Scapegoat#.VRB48PnF8UI

I know this is probably the 5th thread (at least) on this topic but I thought it was interesting hearing Kent State's interview, and changed my opinion a bit on the topic. It appears that the score was questioned at the table and the refs BOTH pushed Andrassy back to his corner and started his match. That is very different than what it sounded like on these boards. This being the case really makes me think the NCAA/officiating botched things badly and copped out of any responsibility whatsoever. Discuss or don't, it changed my opinion on Kent State so thought I others might feel the same.

+ 1

My initial reaction was to blame Andrassy.  I was wrong.  Clearly, the NCAA/committee completely blew it.  My moment of clarity came when I learned the scoring system would not give Realbuto two for a TD without giving Miller one for an escape--and they overrode it.  There was a problem and it was obvious.  Table knew it...and the refs should have found out what was wrong and fixed it.  

To further confuse things, I found out that the ref(s) did come to the table and asked if the score was correct. It doesn't sound like they analyzed it or that the scorer brought up what happened but the person I asked wasn't right on top of it.

The coach's job in that scenario, knowing the score is wrong, is to not sit down until the scorer has confirmed the sequence of points.  Period.  If he has to throw a tantrum or get yelled at by ref, no matter.  Make sure the score is correct no matter what.  And after the match ends, file a protest and don't allow your kid to leave the mat until the matter is addressed.  Head coach, ref and side official, scorer, and NCAA bureaucrats all share blame.

The coach's job in that scenario, knowing the score is wrong, is to not sit down until the scorer has confirmed the sequence of points.  Period.  If he has to throw a tantrum or get yelled at by ref, no matter.  Make sure the score is correct no matter what.  And after the match ends, file a protest and don't allow your kid to leave the mat until the matter is addressed.  Head coach, ref and side official, scorer, and NCAA bureaucrats all share blame.

Correct.  Unfortunate situation and I don't blame Adrassy for not keeping track of the score.  Crazy match and NCAA ultimately is to blame.  But his "whoa is me I tried to check the score" explanation doesn't quite fly either because if he was on top of the score he never lets the match continue and never lets miller walk away.