Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

New head coaches?

A retirement home could have fielded a team, sent it to the NCAA's, and scored 0 points, finishing just ahead of Michigan State in 68th place.

Minkel's not leaving until he decides he wants to leave.  Ohio State's Gene Smith would have fired him a long time ago.  It is what it is, I guess.

Let's not forget Goldman from Indiana who actually lost a dual meet to MSU in front of about 100 people. I think his gravy train of NJ wrestlers will come to an end. He's probably kept his job because of Walsh, Becker and Dubuque. Indiana seems like a great wrestling state, Goldman is definitely not the man to lead them IMO.

Other choice would be Hofstra coach. He is so over his head. Once a very good program is going to struggle big under him.

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

Here are several that were discussed several pages back

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

Not sure what has happened in Idaho but with Arizona State hiring Zeke, Fresno coming on board and OSU seeming to move in the right direction there could be some changes coming down the road.

Here are my list of schools that may need to look hard at making a change

MSU, Minkel ship has sailed and it is time that MSU either makes a change or brings in a coach in waiting that can bring some excitement back to MSU

IU- Goldman, same as above.

Purdue - made a change to Estrand and I believe they had almost doubled their NCAA entries

MSU?IU have been at the bottom of big ten for way to long and are just hurting the overall conference

George Mason, Davidson ( Patnesky), Cal Poly (Buckley), Northern Illinois (Ludwig), do not seem to be moving in the right direction. But they may be what the administration wants in regards to sports with little off field issues and good grades.

Eastern Michigan (Boyard) first year but may be way over his head based on where they placed at MAC.

It could also be that the schools mentioned in this group outside of the Big Ten have limited funding to attract high level assistants or additional assistants.

Thank you!!! Finally someone else besides me and a few others see it

Strongly disagree. The program is a mess but nobody could have turned it around overnight.  In truth, the worst pain still lies ahead but if the administration and supporters stick with Papadatos he can and will bring it back.  Very few people saw up close the huge role he played in building the Binghamton program from scratch- just ask Popololizio.  If Hofstra fans and supporters do not stay the course with him, I GUARANTEE that his replacement will be Hofstra's last wrestling coach ever.

He's already done things that weren't in the program's best interest with certain wrestlers and things he's said to the team I'll call your bluff because a few people on this side of NY know who would be most fit for the job and I'm hoping he gets another shot at it

NYWRESTLER94, the person most fit for the Hofstra job just won a National Championship, and I don't think he's coming back.

More likely, the person who is quoted in my signature will fly me to her place in a private jet and have me sleep with her tonight.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

How about Bucknell?  Very little movement with their individuals since the coach took over 8?years ago?  Didn't they get a bunch of money to reinstate that program?  I wish the Pa programs would take notice of Edinboro and look to improve their programs.  Where else does the nation ever hear of Edinboro?

I'd say Bucknell is doing just fine. A tournament team is essentially the best way for that program to score points at nationals but this season, the Bison were ranked in the Top 25 for duals for the first time in school history. They also have a small roster and they throw the freshmen right in there. bunch of the schools AAs have come since reinstatement.

How about Bucknell?  Very little movement with their individuals since the coach took over 8?years ago?  Didn't they get a bunch of money to reinstate that program?  I wish the Pa programs would take notice of Edinboro and look to improve their programs.  Where else does the nation ever hear of Edinboro?

Here you go again, same broken record as last year.  Are you tone deaf or do you have a beef?

About 3 scholarships, very little support from the administration, 50K + tuition, Ivy like admissions....

But I guess 4 qualifiers this year, 9 returning starters, 3rd in the EIWA, EIWA coach of the year and construction for state of the art facilities about to begin are not enough for you.

Keep in mind this isn't Koll going to an established program at Cornell (20+ years) or Smith going to an existing program at Mizz (17 years).  There was no program.

Speaking of Tom Ryan, the reason he got the job at Ohio State was because ISU promoted Cael to head coach before Gene Smith could hire him.

He's turned out to be a mighty fine second choice.

that happened when Russ Hellickson was handed the retirement papers- all hell broke out. ISU gave Bobby Douglas the special position so Cael can be promoted to the head coach position before tOSU could lure him. Iowa fired Jim Z to hire Tom Brands away from VA Tech in order to stop tOSU. CMU coach Borelli was seriously considered before he withdrew from the OSU job search. Tom Ryan came in to be interviewed and was offered shortly after. Yes, Tom turned to be a fine "second" choice after all.

Ok so where do the teams mentioned above go

MSU

Indiana

Boise State

Davidson

Iowa State

Bucknell

Northern Illinois

Eastern Michigan

Hofstra

George Mason

Does the Davidson administration even know they have a wrestling program?  I can see MSU, Indiana and ISU but including Davidson on the list?  You have to be a little realistic here.

You have to come to the realization that regardless of who coaches a "certain program", there is virtually zero chance of upward mobility.

Newsflash...Amherst is starting D1 wrestling next year and is looking at Perry, Metcalf or Cunningham to lead the program.  Starting salary is 40 grand, there will be zero scholarships and practices will be held in the old basement boiler room.

Paboom, that is a great point regarding funding and results. I do believe that could be a issue, but do we think that all of the top programs have that much more money for scholarships then some of the other schools?

At the second tier funded schools that is where it is critical for the real recruiting, practice partners, off season wrestling and fund raising come into play.

In the world of social media all of these teams need to be on facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on so everyone knows about them to get there name out there. Look at Dresser and VA Tech, they are on Twitter for everything from their results, schedule, redshirt results and their camps. Their name is always out there.

I don't think you can say EMU needs a new coach after one year give it a year or two and EMU will have an AA. They have some very promising kids on the come up and Bolyard has planted some deep roots with the youth of Michigan over the past few years the his advantage wrestling club they just need a good upper weight coach on the staff. He and Luke Smith are awesome but they are both lower weight coaches I believe with the addition of a good upper weight coach could put them up there towards the top.

Does the Davidson administration even know they have a wrestling program?  I can see MSU, Indiana and ISU but including Davidson on the list?  You have to be a little realistic here.

You have to come to the realization that regardless of who coaches a "certain program", there is virtually zero chance of upward mobility.

Newsflash...Amherst is starting D1 wrestling next year and is looking at Perry, Metcalf or Cunningham to lead the program.  Starting salary is 40 grand, there will be zero scholarships and practices will be held in the old basement boiler room.

Davidson's admins should know, as with only 2000 total students on campus it would be hard to lose track of any of their sports teams. but i agree with you that their expectations are going to be vastly different than most of the other programs. as a small liberal arts schools in the south, it is a very atypical school to have 21 D1 programs.

Davidson needs the rest of the SoCon to keep their programs so they have peer institutions to compete with.