JerseyJoey

Olympic Redshirts need more strict criteria

Hearing a lot of rumors of guys taking Olympic redshirts despite the fact that they have no reasonable chance of making the Olympics. Any college kid that is trying to make the Olympic team @ 163 has a better chance of making the Olympics in platform diving than they do in wrestling. IMO you should have to have placed top 4 in the US Nationals to take an Olympic Redshirt. I'm really over the 25 year old seniors. (Btw, interesting how some careers wound up getting derailed by the Olympic Redshirt. When was the last time a college guy redshirted and made the team? I can name many guys that possibly cost themselves an NCAA title by taking the Olympic Redshirt.)

^^Imo the NCAA redshirt rules are crazy.  I'd toss the RS rules out and replace them with simple rule, such as you get 6 yrs to use 4 yrs, or whatever.  No questions asked about WHY you take a year off.

Bottom line, however, is that NCAA college wrestling is whatever the rules say it is.

Hearing a lot of rumors of guys taking Olympic redshirts despite the fact that they have no reasonable chance of making the Olympics. Any college kid that is trying to make the Olympic team @ 163 has a better chance of making the Olympics in platform diving than they do in wrestling. IMO you should have to have placed top 4 in the US Nationals to take an Olympic Redshirt. I'm really over the 25 year old seniors. (Btw, interesting how some careers wound up getting derailed by the Olympic Redshirt. When was the last time a college guy redshirted and made the team? I can name many guys that possibly cost themselves an NCAA title by taking the Olympic Redshirt.)

Did you do any research on the criteria for an Olympic waiver before making this post?

Seen here: http://content.themat.com/forms/2016-Olympic-Redshirt-Criteria.pdf

There are four ways to qualify for an Olympic redshirt year Only required to meet one criteria 

1) Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials) 

2) Top 8 at the 2015 Senior World Team Trials 

3) Top 3 at the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2015 University National Championships (must accomplish both)

4) Previous Junior or University World Medalist 

Deitchler qualified right after graduating high school, pretty sure he never took an Olympic redshirt.

My point is the everyone should be able to chase their Olympic dream, even if in the NCAA program.  Who's to say Dake couldn't have cracked the Greco team?

By my quick count, here is the list of those collegiate-age wrestlers who have met criteria #4 above:

Thomas Gillman (Iowa), 2014 JR FS Bronze, 55 kg

Joey McKenna (Stanford recruit), 2014 JR FS Silver, 60 kg

Aaron Pico (n/a), 2014 JR FS Silver, 66 kg

Gabe Dean (Cornell), 2014 JR FS Bronze, 84 kg

Kyle Snyder (tOSU), 2014 JR FS Bronze, 2013 JR FS Gold, 96 kg each

Adam Coon (Michigan), 2014 JR FS Bronze, 2014 JR GR Bronze, 120 kg

Alex Dieringer (OSU), 2013 JR FS Silver, 74 kg

Sam Stoll (Iowa), 2013 JR GR Bronze, 120 kg

Jesse Thielke (Wisconsin), 2012 JR GR Bronze, 60 kg

Pat Downey (Iowa Central CC), 2012 JR FS Silver, 84 kg

one more:

Sam Jones (N. Michigan), 2014 Univ GR Bronze, 59 kg

Edited by lu_alum

One thing not being considered is that although the college kid taking the Olympic redshirt might not qualify, his presence added to the competition for Olympic representative helps to make the road more difficult and thus better prepare the one who ultimately wins the trials.   It could be one of the looks our guy needs in order to better round his game and prepare for Olympic glory.   Also, just because he doesn't make it that year, it could be the experience that eventually leads him to to earn the spot years later.   Brent Metcalf comes to mind.   He has to have been in 10 world and Olympic qualifiers now, starting with his frosh year at Iowa.   He was always short of the goals, several times the bride's maid but he eventually got there and although he's never placed at a worlds, he did finally win a match this past summer.   Little by little he inches closer.   

Keep the Olympic redshirt year.  

Whats up with the NCAA supporting religious missions? Why should a public institution add an explicit waiver for religion?  It makes no sense.  Other young people may find it personally fulfilling to do something other than college, but they burn eligibility by doing so.

The public schools are not granting the waiver, the national association which most schools belong is issuing the waiver and the national association has a lot of religious schools that are members.

This is much to do about nothing.

If the questions are meaningless to you, you are welcome to exercise your right to remain silent.

The lion's share of funding for the NCAA comes from public institutions, so it is not a private organization. 

Serious question.  I'd like to know why the NCAA would choose to grant waivers for one personal choice (religion) and not other personal choices. Anybody know when it started and what the rationale behind it was? Lawsuits and threats from wealthy religious institutions?  Committee members that are religious?  

I have nothing against a deferment of eligibility, in fact I'm all for it.  I like it so much that I wish extended to everyone, regardless of their religion or lack thereof.

If the questions are meaningless to you, you are welcome to exercise your right to remain silent.

The lion's share of funding for the NCAA comes from public institutions, so it is not a private organization. 

Serious question.  I'd like to know why the NCAA would choose to grant waivers for one personal choice (religion) and not other personal choices. Anybody know when it started and what the rationale behind it was? Lawsuits and threats from wealthy religious institutions?  Committee members that are religious?  

I have nothing against a deferment of eligibility, in fact I'm all for it.  I like it so much that I wish extended to everyone, regardless of their religion or lack thereof.

The waiver is a "reasonable accommodation" for religious practice and there is a large number of people that use them. The same is true of the military waiver. It is not as if they are using a waiver and training at the Finger Lakes club. There is a one year waiver that anyone is able to use if they want to pursue something (like the Finger Lakes club).

This is a false statement. 90% of NCAA revenue comes from marketing and television rights for the men's basketball tournament. Most of the rest comes from money generated at the various championships. Annual dues for NCAA Division I membership is $1,800. That is a small drop in a big bucket considering the NCAA annual budget of over $800 million.

including the 2 year religious mission in a six year plan is reasonable. A year or two of competition, then a July to July (2 year) mission, followed by 2-3 years competition, is reasonable.

A red shirt year, then a 2 year mission (especially when the mission is known to be required) then four years of competition is crap.

Then there is the guy who takes a redshirt year, then saves 3 years for a 2 year mission. Is he going to have 4 years of wrestling then?

Unless you are in the military, the clock should stop six years after your class graduates HS. Not enough go to D3 (or D2?)

Edited by RichB