Sign in to follow this  
judaspriest

How about Edinboro?

Amazing run in the tournament. I think they are only Div I in wrestling, much a dozen or so of small PA schools with solid wrestling programs.

Them placing ahead of a bunch of powerhouses is a pretty serious success. 2 finalists (though no champs) isn't too shabby either.

I am impressed.

Very interesting to see the difference in the way two programs are treated when they both fall short of their goals. Iowa fails to win the championship and they are (rightly and justifiably) called out for their poor wrestling. Iowa's head coach is called out for failing to lead his team to the title after being one of the favorites. Not a peep of coach of the year honors for Brands and company.

Edinboro's coaches are praised for failing yet again. No team title, no individual champions and still coach of the year nominations are being given to multiple members of Edinboro's coaching staff. I even heard someone mention a raise for Edinboro's head coach at the national tournament! Imo this is madness! 18 years and counting and zero ncaa team titles. Zero. And 3 individual champions in 18 years! I remember in 2010 Brands had 3 national champions in one year!

If anything needs to be raised at Edinboro, it's the expectations that fans have for the program. It's time the wrestling community stops treating the Edinboro coaching staff with kid gloves.

Very interesting to see the difference in the way two programs are treated when they both fall short of their goals. Iowa fails to win the championship and they are (rightly and justifiably) called out for their poor wrestling. Iowa's head coach is called out for failing to lead his team to the title after being one of the favorites. Not a peep of coach of the year honors for Brands and company.

Edinboro's coaches are praised for failing yet again. No team title, no individual champions and still coach of the year nominations are being given to multiple members of Edinboro's coaching staff. I even heard someone mention a raise for Edinboro's head coach at the national tournament! Imo this is madness! 18 years and counting and zero ncaa team titles. Zero. And 3 individual champions in 18 years! I remember in 2010 Brands had 3 national champions in one year!

If anything needs to be raised at Edinboro, it's the expectations that fans have for the program. It's time the wrestling community stops treating the Edinboro coaching staff with kid gloves.

Oh, it's you again. That sucks.

I think it's important not to lose the sense of proportion.

The expectations have to be high but they have to have some connection to reality. I don't have the stats in front of me, but would be this is near damn highest finish Edinboro has ever had.

Iowa has won (and, I hope, will win) quite a number of NCAA titles and attracts far greater talent and money and has an incomparably greater recruiting reach and likely financing than Edinboro.

Finishing 3rd in the NCAAs ahead of Penn State, Okalhoma State and such and nearly catching up Iowa is an incredibly good outcome for Edinboro by any (sane) measure.

And he still adds nothing of value to this board. All four Boro wrestlers who placed exceeded their seed except Port, who wrestled to his seed behind Superman.

It's a flipping Division II college with its first trophy in Division I wrestling.

Edited by JasonBryant

For those who believe it's ridiculous to hold Edinboro to higher standards, let me ask you a question: What should be considered failing at Edinboro? Could you answer that question? Please be specific with the answer.

If you can't provide an answer, that should be very telling.

Yes despite the fact I am an Ohio State fan, I was most impressed by Edinboro.

And, I had that idiot blocked. I encourage everyone to block his new name as well, at the very least respond to nothing he says even if somehow it makes sense.

Jason Bryant,

Schopp didn't come out strong and lost in the first round. Habat lost to a kid that he beat last year at the national tournament. Why was Habat seeded lower? Because he lost during the season multiple times. Port was physically dominated by Stieber and hurt in the process. He actually lost by more points than he did in the earlier season dual meet. Yes, Edinboro's coach has done a few good and maybe even great things in his career, but that doesn't negate all of his failures. I'm not sure why he gets a pass and everyone else doesn't. Last year there were a few inconvenient facts that people simply refused to acknowledge about Edinboro's coach while they were naming him COTY. I hope people on this board aren't going to do the same thing this year.

It's sad to see that some are calling for a ban simply because I choose to express my opinion and some inconvenient facts about the Edinboro wrestling program. If you can't address my arguments with sound reasoning, maybe that should give you a hint. Perhaps my opinions aren't as ridiculous as many make them out to be.

Edinboro's coaches are praised for failing yet again. No team title, no individual champions and still coach of the year nominations are being given to multiple members of Edinboro's coaching staff. I even heard someone mention a raise for Edinboro's head coach at the national tournament! Imo this is madness! 18 years and counting and zero ncaa team titles. Zero. And 3 individual champions in 18 years! I remember in 2010 Brands had 3 national champions in one year!

As troll post goes...... I've seen better but not bad.

I think something is seriously wrong when we'll defend the right to bash legends like Cael Sanderson and Tom Brands, but won't allow an honest critique of a coach who's consistently lost every single year of his career (18 years!) Something is seriously backwards.

We must respect the winners and legends of our sport. The winners must be exalted at all costs. Do any of you realize where American wrestling would be today if it weren't for all of the Olympic, world, and ncaa champion coaches and individuals? These guys are responsible for about 99% of everything that you all celebrate every wrestling season.

Who makes nearly all of  the groundbreaking technical discoveries? The winners. Who produces nearly all of the legendary wrestlers? The winners. No matter how you slice it nearly everything that's good and meaningful about wrestling in the states is due to men who absolutely hated anything other than first place.

#Exaltthewinners

Sgallan,

I'm not "trolling" at all. I'm 100% serious. Do you believe it's okay to allow and support the bashing of legends like Tom Brands and Cael Sanderson, but disallow an honest critique of a losing program? What has Edinboro university every done for wrestling as a whole?