Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Sam Brooks

I was rather surprised he didn't AA. Highly ranked recruit that has shown flashes of brilliance but seemed to wear down as the season went on; a common theme at Iowa. Have to wonder if things would of been different if he stayed at home and wrestled at Illinois. Perry probably would of had him placing as high as 5th by now. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Yes, quite disappointed that Brooks didn't place. Tough weight and he is still pretty young, hoping we'll hear a lot more from him in the next two years.

Guessing his placement results based on hypothetically signing up with Illinois is palm reading territory

He lost to the national champion in a hard fought match and then lost in the round of 12 to the 4th place finisher. Yes, it was underachieving but he had tough match ups against higher ranked kids. it was his first full year on the mat and he had a better first ncaa tournament than McIntosh and Gulibon (#1 and #3 recruits in their class).

I like watching Brooks wrestle. Good motor, almost always offensive minded for a big guy. His problem is technique as he frequently loses defensive position. Perhaps a coaching issue but he is young so he has time to improve.

He's a great kid in a program that best fit the style he developed in high school. He had two close matches with tough dudes and things just didn't go his way this season at the tournament, though he did make the blood round. I don't think there's more to it than that.

Wow, where was all this outrage and defense when the Gulibon thread came out, LOL. It's almost as if some have a double standard;

........and the thing is, with Brooks it's much closer to being a legitimate discussion then with Gulibon.

In Gulibon's first NCAA tournament he lost to two guys who didn't make the Round of 12 while going 1-2.  Brooks lost to the champion and the 4th place finisher.

Wow, where was all this outrage and defense when the Gulibon thread came out, LOL. It's almost as if some have a double standard;

........and the thing is, with Brooks it's much closer to being a legitimate discussion then with Gulibon.

Or it's because Gulibon was the #3 recruit, where Brooks was the #20 recruit. Fact is Jimmy had much bigger potential to live up to than Brooks did.

Brooks needs to find his shot again.  He had a phenomenal low single in high school he would hit off the whistle, but I never saw it once at nationals.  He is outstanding upper body wrestler and everyone knows that.  However, when he got into matches at nationals where he needed a go to shot, I never saw one.  Particularly VS Dean when he lost 3-2. 

If this silly argument about 'first' NCAAs is going to be used maybe it is worth pointing out that Brooks didn't go his first year being stuck on the bench behind a 2 and BBQ wrestler?

If this silly argument about 'first' NCAAs is going to be used maybe it is worth pointing out that Brooks didn't go his first year being stuck on the bench behind a 2 and BBQ wrestler?

A 2 BBQ guy that was also a two time All-American

Sure, that's fair.  So we can agree, Brooks lost in the Round of 12, losing his two matches to the 1st place and 4th place finishers.  Gulibon took 5th losing to the 2nd and 3rd place finishers.

Fair enough the losses are certainly similar.  In Gulibon's defense he did beat a #10 and #2 while Brooks beat a #8 so the wins would certainly favor Jimmy.

That said I think potential and skill are relatively similar between the 2.  Not sure how much higher expectations are, Sammy was certainly a beast in high school and #20 overall.  I get it that Gulibon was #2 or #3 but not a huge gap in those rankings, not to mention the 133 class has been a total meat grinder the last couple years.

First off the Gulibon thread was a troll thread in response to an Evans troll thread.  Now we have this lame ass troll thread.  Not like the current 184 for Illinois Reyes was all world.  Also losing to #1 and #3 seeds, kind of a tough draw there.  Not to mention the biggest issue being that Brooks hurt his leg vs Dean at the duals.  His movement and lower body power was affected and it was really noticeable in the match vs ASU where he stumbled around and even winced in pain causing the ref to ask if he needed an injury timeout.  

Brooks had a great season and a good tournament. double elimination brackets ARE NOT perfect in determining placements. i think the OP makes a lot of unsupported assumptions. very little separated the top 16 or even 20 guys in this weight. lots of really solid wrestlers didnt make the podium