Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

why did penn st sandbag

i never got it and now it seems even crazier

why give up on a season the coaches job to put out the best team possible

telling mega you cant beat delgado or rutheford you cant beat steiber doesnt seem like a champion mentality

wasnt the point of redshirting the altons so they would be winning national championships

dont get not trying

the point of most of these redshirts was line-up management. the altons had to work around molinaro and megaludis allowed conaway to enter the line-up, he earned all-american honors. retherford seems to be the only one who redshirted to improve the team in future years or possibly allow stieber to move along. the coach needs to get the most out of the scholarship dollars he has available and think about what is the best team in the current 5 year window. do things backfire sometimes? sure, injuries, academics, and burnout sometimes derail those plans, but they can only go with the information in front of them.

Edited by sockobuw

BRGuy, Cael Sanderson's roster management will seem pretty smart the next 4 years, imo. He kept the four freshmen in the same class so he gets those hammers all 4 years, plus Zain for 3 of the four years, plus Cutch and Hammond for 3 more years. That is an exceptionally strong nucleus.

pretty sure conaway is not an athletic aid guy. so he got an aa out of no money and positioned his team for another title run next year at the same time.

it cost money it cost penn state a free ride to mega or whoever to not contribute

if youre affraid you cant recruit more guys to replace your studs it might make sense but i thought penn state was suppose to keep producing studs

they use 9.9 each year. it doesn't cost anymore or any less. what scholarship athletes see the starting line-up changes, but the cost doesn't. sitting  the money means it's tied up for another year. he doesn't have to recruit a new guy when he has a non-aid guy earning all-American honors.

timing at that weight seems to be lining up with someone they might be courting.

it cost money it cost penn state a free ride to mega or whoever to not contribute

if youre affraid you cant recruit more guys to replace your studs it might make sense but i thought penn state was suppose to keep producing studs

You think Cael sanderson is afraid of recruiting? LOL. That's funny. 

You think Cael sanderson is afraid of recruiting? LOL. That's funny.

why else give up on a year

if youre so confident you can replace your studs and put together a strong team each year why sandbag and say you dont care about trying for a title

makes no sense

should iowa or oklahoma state redshirt everyone so they all are juniors and seniors at the same time or should they try every year to be the best

why else give up on a year

if youre so confident you can replace your studs and put together a strong team each year why sandbag and say you dont care about trying for a title

makes no sense

should iowa or oklahoma state redshirt everyone so they all are juniors and seniors at the same time or should they try every year to be the best

I don't think Cael Sanderson said anything like that, but maybe you know somethimnmg I don't. 

Sandbag? You're kidding, right? Didn't they take 6th as a team with 5 AA's. If the 157lb quarter-finals are scored correctly, they are 5th. Not to mention they were one win away from 6 AA's. If a couple matches go their way ie. Gulibon's semi and mccutcheon and mcintosh's quarter-final's they're top 2. Sandbagging, what a joke. 6th best team in the country with a sandbagging effort is pretty nice. Ironically, nobody made a stink when they RS'ed taylor and ruth, and then Q. Wright, to get mcintosh in. Pretty sure Cael knows what he is doing.

I am thinking that the professor has written a lesson plan that will work out--no doubt--for everyone in his Happy Valley room.

Lest we forget……this past season Penn State,and Oklahoma State, were 'supposed' to have down years. They placed 6th and 7th respectively in the 2015 team race. I gotta say that those results would be a darn

decent finish for just about any other program.

eh, hindsight is 20/20. tough to judge when you aren't privy to the conversations between the coaches and the team. the only one i'd say looks obvious that points were left on the table is sitting Retherford for Moss. everywhere else you were plugging in some studs who'd otherwise be on the bench, or were hoping could come back from injuries (eg the Altons). and not to take anything away from Moss either, he just didnt appear to be at Rtherford's level. But if Zain was in the process of moving up a weight class maybe that point is moot too. 

as a fan i kind of wish all the shirts were pulled just to see how things went this year and now we'll never know. but then we'd never know if the RS were worth it. it does make it more exciting knowing how high expectations are going to be for the nits the next 4 years. 

The job Cael is doing is just phenomenal.   It wont make sense to some right now, but you see this enough times, it begins to make sense.   The instant gratification, national title or bust mentality and just recruit more guys next year way of thinking gives way to a better understanding of proper management and line up strategy.  Cael returns a loaded up squad that's probably going to win several national titles in a row, because of the moves he made this past season.   Check back with us in 4 years BRGuy, it should make a lot more sense then.  

I don't think it is because Cael is waiting for guys to clear out for Rutherford and Mega. As you can see from this year there are always going to be guys coming up to challenge you and you are never just going to graduate your way to a title.

I think he must have got an early read on Nico, Mega & the incoming guys that he would be much better off giving them all a year to develop, because I think if he truly thought he could win it this year he would have pulled all the stops.    

Edited by OtisCampbell

i don't ever remember BR posting, which is normally a good thing. normally means good discussion has occurred without bringing the negative attention that people remember. he is quickly becoming the slow poster that has an agenda and wants to repeat his point until he thinks he "won" the discussion.

everyone has redshirted guys and not all of them have been freshmen during their redshirt year. you are either capable of understanding line-up management or you aren't. not sure if this is a trolling effort or a cognitive deficiency.

What is interesting in this thread is that the people that will claim Cael Sanderson "sand bagged" this year are actually, in a way, saying that the guys he redshirted are actually better than everyone else's wrestlers. I mean, that is the implication of such a comment now, isn't it. 

But these same people will soon be claiming that when these wrestlers come back off redshirt there will be no reason to expect them to be able to win NCAA's next spring. Funny juxtaposition. 

you never could have imagined the tournament playing out like it did at the beginning or even middle of the season, but.... psu with 67.5 was 34.5 behind tOSU. conaway score 5.5 points and psu didn't have a qualifier at 141. could nico and zain have scored 40 to make up the difference? not likely. you would have to imagine nico scores between 17 and 23 points while zain is likely to score 10-18. with everything going right they make up the difference especially when you consider tomasello may have scored less points if nico wins the title. when the discussion gets serious is if you factor in nolf at 157. I think he would have been good for at least 10 points and would have made a huge difference. I am sure the staff is ok with their decision, but guessing it came up at least once that they could have been in the mix.

you never could have imagined the tournament playing out like it did at the beginning or even middle of the season, but.... psu with 67.5 was 34.5 behind tOSU. conaway score 5.5 points and psu didn't have a qualifier at 141. could nico and zain have scored 40 to make up the difference? not likely. you would have to imagine nico scores between 17 and 23 points while zain is likely to score 10-18. with everything going right they make up the difference especially when you consider tomasello may have scored less points if nico wins the title. when the discussion gets serious is if you factor in nolf at 157. I think he would have been good for at least 10 points and would have made a huge difference. I am sure the staff is ok with their decision, but guessing it came up at least once that they could have been in the mix.

No question.  BTW, I just read a story from last March where Tom Ryan intimated that Ohio State could score between 110 and 120 points this March. Pretty good forecast considering he was factoring in Hunter Stieber. Reasonable to think Cael was running his own numbers.

No question.  BTW, I just read a story from last March where Tom Ryan intimated that Ohio State could score between 110 and 120 points this March. Pretty good forecast considering he was factoring in Hunter Stieber. Reasonable to think Cael was running his own numbers.

That is EXACTLY what I think happened. Ryan, and probably also Sanderson, figured OSU for about 115 pts. Cael may have figured the odds were small he would beat that number, so he consolidated. Now he is poised to go on a great four year run. I can envision Penn State getting to 110 pts. next March.