Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

Graham #1?

OPRF had it in their grasp and they fell apart at the end of the year with wrestlers not making weight, injured, or out of the lineup for other reasons...plus they pretty much wrestled flat at the state tournament.

Congrats to SPG on adding another national championship banner to their room.

Nice to see SPG pick up another national title. 

It's tough to say who fielded the team with the season's high watermark (Peak Performance) but if I had to say I'd call it for the Illinois team.  None the less, when the chips were down, SPG performed and Oak Park did not.  

I'm interested to see if Blair is able to keep it going or do they begin falling off?  WySem is right there, and the California teams seem to be getting better and better.   The other PA teams FR and BECA remain tough as nails.  It would be great if Brandon resurfaced and Apple Valley stepped it up again.   10 or 15 super teams would be very entertaining 

OK genius who do you have as #1?   Maybe you can get hired to do rankings.

The only person who will have Graham as #1 is the Ohio ranker.

Blair.  They beat them without Tucker and Manville.  

Monica and Vanderwere brought the National title home for the Bucs when the pressure was on.

Graham lost to Blair in NJ.

If OPRF does not bonk at their state meet most likely they are #1 end of season.

Blair lost to W. Seminary. 

Graham won Ironman when all the top teams were together in one place.

Although still resolute in the fact that they are the best high school wrestling team in the country, OPRF is ok with Josh Lowe's opinion on where to rank them. This post is in response to the following remarks and is not intended to "make a case" for #1.

OPRF had it in their grasp and they fell apart at the end of the year with wrestlers not making weight, injured, or out of the lineup for other reasons...plus they pretty much wrestled flat at the state tournament.

Congrats to SPG on adding another national championship banner to their room.

As Tom Brands would say, "they pooped their pants".  At the worst possible time.

Going into the state series OPRF was down 2 starters to injury and another blew weight.  2 others wrestled the entire state serious with pretty significant injuries while another was injured along the way. OPRF tallied 7 state placers, 5 finalists and 2 champs. Of the 3 finals matches lost, 2 were on controversial calls. All 3 finals matches lost were to kids that are currently nationally ranked. 

It's ok that Mr. Lowe and some others value dominating Ohio's middle class over the the performance that OPRF had in Illinois' largest class against more nationally ranked competitors.  It's not ok to say that OPRF "pooped their pants" & "wrestled flat"

Also last season OPRF had 10 state placers, 5 finalists and 4 champs to record the greatest state tournament in Illinois' history while Blair lost national preps to Sem.  OPRF finished 2nd to Blair in Intermat's final ranking. OPRF was ok with that too.

Edited by PapaBearSLIM

^^  If OPRF is okay with finishing 2nd repeatedly, can you list what their goals actually are, in terms of national results?  

You do realize that ranking is not a result but is 1 person's opinion?  OPRF is ok with people having their opinions. My purpose for putting the blurb about last year's finish is that even when firing on all cylinders and wrestling out of their minds the OPRF kids couldn't control some people's opinions. Opinions vary and that's ok.

I assume OPRF has the same goals as every other top program. Win every contested match.

Edited by PapaBearSLIM

Graham lost to Blair in NJ.

If OPRF does not bonk at their state meet most likely they are #1 end of season.

Blair lost to W. Seminary. 

Graham won Ironman when all the top teams were together in one place.

If Graham hadn't "bonked" the dual to Blair they could be #1.  no Tucker, No Manville, still lost.  Key "bonking" at 113 and 145.

Graham is a 1/2 a team. This is good for the Ironman

Graham, on a 1 hour weigh in, with their lack of quality from 170 up would lose duals to  most of the the top 10.  probably go 2-7, 3-6

Josh Lowe could care less.  He has to cling to the Ironman.  Make no  mistake about it.  This is an Ohio thing.  ZERO justification for it and a black eye to Intermat

You do realize that ranking is not a result but is 1 person's opinion?  OPRF is ok with people having their opinions. My purpose for putting the blurb about last year's finish is that even when firing on all cylinders and wrestling out of their minds the OPRF kids couldn't control some people's opinions. Opinions vary and that's ok.

I assume OPRF has the same goals as every other top program. Win every contested match.

Exactly.  Josh Slowe let Blair fold at the end of the season last year and still ranked them #1.

This year, OPRF wasn't afforded the same luxury.  Because the Ironman, you know.

It is a joke.

I just wasn't aware they were okay with the final seasons results leaving them at #2.  

Sure they absolutely fell off and deserved to lose their top ranking, but I would think they would be doing everything in their power to not allow that to happen again.   I know several of the nations elite shoot for that number 1 ranking annually and they are absolutely not okay with finishing lower than 1st.   Just a difference in philosophy I suppose.   

I just wasn't aware they were okay with the final seasons results leaving them at #2.  

Sure they absolutely fell off and deserved to lose their top ranking, but I would think they would be doing everything in their power to not allow that to happen again.   I know several of the nations elite shoot for that number 1 ranking annually and they are absolutely not okay with finishing lower than 1st.   Just a difference in philosophy I suppose.   

More interested in winning the matches than swaying opinions.

Of course they are not ok with the final results as several individual goals were not met. They wouldn't be any more ok with the same results if a guy in Ohio said they were his #1 team.

Somehow I don't think this ends unless I either stop responding or give you the response you want. Which is why you keep trying to muddle results and rankings. I'll step off the carousel now.

They were #1 right (OPRF). My question is what did they lose to drop? Did they just not blow everyone away? I'd have a hard time dropping the #1 team if they didn't lose. Individuals get upset all the time. Admittedly I haven't followed what happened in the postseason in Illinois, so what would prompt them to drop.