Sign in to follow this  
thefatman

Flo on Fox

they both seem really excited about the "verticals". i didn't think the high jump and pole vaulting events were that popular...

maybe they're planning a new coverage on the vert jump part of the NFL combine.  ;-)

Edited by gromit

Knock Flo all you want but these guys have really improved our sport with their coverage.  Good luck to them in the future.

How exactly have they improved our sport with their coverage? I think they have improved the coverage of the sport... not necessarily improved the actual sport.

How exactly have they improved our sport with their coverage? I think they have improved the coverage of the sport... not necessarily improved the actual sport.

They've improved our sport by making an enormous amount of wrestling technique and matches available to watch for free. By having all this material available to anyone to watch, wrestlers can watch more wrestling and learn from it. I can't tell you how much I learned as a wrestler from watching videos on Flo. I was in high school when Flo first started, and seeing different techniques and moves used in matches inspired me to try some of them in practice and incorporate them into my arsenal. A lot of this technique was not taught at my school, whose wrestling program wasn't very strong. Without a doubt I became a better wrestler because of Flo, and I guarantee you that there are kids all around the country who feel the same.

They've improved our sport by making an enormous amount of wrestling technique and matches available to watch for free. By having all this material available to anyone to watch, wrestlers can watch more wrestling and learn from it. I can't tell you how much I learned as a wrestler from watching videos on Flo. I was in high school when Flo first started, and seeing different techniques and moves used in matches inspired me to try some of them in practice and incorporate them into my arsenal. A lot of this technique was not taught at my school, whose wrestling program wasn't very strong. Without a doubt I became a better wrestler because of Flo, and I guarantee you that there are kids all around the country who feel the same.

Where are the free techniques?   What used to be called technique wave is not free.  The teachers (coaches or athletes) are working for free but Flo charges us to watch.   Seems like they charge for most matches as well, including stuff we used to watch for free on tv.  

Where are the free techniques?   What used to be called technique wave is not free.  The teachers (coaches or athletes) are working for free but Flo charges us to watch.   Seems like they charge for most matches as well, including stuff we used to watch for free on tv.  

Flo literally has thousands of videos of practices, matches, and technique. Just because their Technique Wave line of videos isn't free doesn't mean you can't learn from the hours of other free content available. And if you're saying that Flo is charging us for stuff we used to get for free on TV, I want to know what super special TV you have, because on basic cable the only time I ever see wrestling is the NCAA Finals.

We are spoiled now as wrestling fans. Flo literally makes thousands of free videos available to us and yet we still have people whining because they charge for some of their content. God forbid a company charges anything for the countless hours of work they put into it. I'm not saying Flo is perfect, because they aren't, and I've heard many people have problems when streaming events, but quit acting like Flo hasn't done anything to improve the sport, because they have.

Flo is overrated. I can find quality material on youtube without the fraternity bro speak. When they get their live stream act together and grow some professionalism, then I will consider a subscription.

Flo was ahead of their time with the match video coverage and interviews that they provided.  Eventually other media outlets started doing the same thing, and that content stopped being as unique.   Then, flo decreased the amount of interviews and behind the scenes footage, and transitioned into a pay to stream service.  Once again, they were ahead of their time, advancing what livesportsvideo had started with online streaming of wrestling.....  Unfortunately, it looks like the major media networks have caught up and passed flo in terms of streaming, as the quality and content of the BTDN stream is undoubtedly better.  Unless you care about HS wrestling, Flo has difficulty securing major events, seeing as the universities have contracts with their conference networks.    Still, we should be grateful that flo has helped establish the market for providing media coverage to wrestling, showing that there is value in our sport.  Martin has done a great service to the wrestling community through his continued hard work, although it may be best that the professionals have started to take control.  

Being innovators is all well and good but they should have kept up. Instead they let themselves be surpassed by people that know what they are doing. They had more than ample opportunity to remain a frontrunner.

Billyhoyle, I think you hit the nail on the head.

oldrules, why is it that people can never stay on topic? I never said it is worth it to purchase a Flo subscription. I personally do not have a Flo subscription. All I'm saying is that Flo has helped improve the sport of wrestling. They provided a ton of content before other major media providers started covering more wrestling, and really set the trend. I can tell you that even without a subscription to Flo, and with having access to other media providers' coverage of wrestling, that Flo is still an invaluable library for coverage. I seriously doubt that anyone has completely exhausted the content available on Flo, and if you're a high school wrestler or high school coach, high school wrestling matches are very useful for picking up on new techniques and moves. Is Flo the best product out there? I don't know. But, Flo is valuable, and if you don't pay for a subscription then I don't understand why you complain about their content. It's free, they cover some events that aren't available anywhere else, and no one's forcing you to watch them.

Flo literally has thousands of videos of practices, matches, and technique. Just because their Technique Wave line of videos isn't free doesn't mean you can't learn from the hours of other free content available. And if you're saying that Flo is charging us for stuff we used to get for free on TV, I want to know what super special TV you have, because on basic cable the only time I ever see wrestling is the NCAA Finals.

We are spoiled now as wrestling fans. Flo literally makes thousands of free videos available to us and yet we still have people whining because they charge for some of their content. God forbid a company charges anything for the countless hours of work they put into it. I'm not saying Flo is perfect, because they aren't, and I've heard many people have problems when streaming events, but quit acting like Flo hasn't done anything to improve the sport, because they have.

The Olympic and world team tryouts used to be on tv.  And I like watching a tv better than sitting in front of a computer to watch their small, choppy and unpredictable stream.  What espn is doing now blows flo away, anyone who would want them to take over what is put on tv now must be an insider. They mess up all the big events.