Sign in to follow this  
gobraves101905

Sun Devil Expectations

Without question, the best recruiting class coming in. Maybe even the #1 recruit at each of the 5 heaviest weight classes. Who will red shirt? Maruca and Shields for sure I would guess. Tanner Hall almost guaranteed not to. That leaves the Valencia brothers and Benick. All 3 have a lot of national and international experience. 197 is a weight of need and Benick can step in right away. Do the Valencia brothers each drop a weight and wrestle 165 and 174 respectively? Both are weights of somewhat need. I personally think that none of the previous 3 red shirt. Also have a pretty solid group returning inn the bottom 5 weight classes.

IMO, the dust needs to settle a bit. The likelihood of an entire recruiting class coming and taking a program from 20 to 90 in one class is not good. However, through development, and a well-managed schedule, the Sun Devils could position themselves for continued top NCAA finishes and top-flight recruiting.

you would almost think they want to split this class up and wrestle some 4 straight and have the other half redshirt. having a ton of money tied up in a single class makes it tough to manage right when they are at the end of their career. 2-3 scholarships per class is ideal and you can continue to reload, instead of rebuild. you would have to imagine this class is going to be eating up more than 3 scholarships. dynasties can be built when you get guys on other forms of aid. maybe some of these guys are on that and they will not be eating up the athletic scholarships as it appears from the outside.

I would redshirt them all but I know that is not an option at times but if I were to start one of the Valencia it would be Zahid. No matter who you put him up against he always brings it and he's quiet and humble just goes out there and wrestles his butt off. I know why they're not going to redshirt Hall but when is the last time he's had a meaningful wrestling match and he's coming into a stacked heavy weight class. I seen on Intermat that they signed another heavy weight why not burn his first year of eligibility while this kid gets into wrestling shape and competes in some open tournaments. I will say one thing it's sure will be fun to watch these guys and congrats if your an ASU fan.

IMO, the dust needs to settle a bit. The likelihood of an entire recruiting class coming and taking a program from 20 to 90 in one class is not good. However, through development, and a well-managed schedule, the Sun Devils could position themselves for continued top NCAA finishes and top-flight recruiting.

Zeke wasnt hired in time last year to form his own schedule. This years schedule should get much better for them. Need to get get some more quality teams scheduled for duels. Keep the intensity level up throughout the year. And hopefully some more and better home duals for fans

Blake Stauffer is the only wrestler on the ASU team to score at NCAA's. They are obviously going to be a lot better this year, but they are still a ways out. I agree with the OP, Hall and two out of the Valencia's plus Benick start depending on Stauffer's weight. 

you would almost think they want to split this class up and wrestle some 4 straight and have the other half redshirt. having a ton of money tied up in a single class makes it tough to manage right when they are at the end of their career. 2-3 scholarships per class is ideal and you can continue to reload, instead of rebuild. you would have to imagine this class is going to be eating up more than 3 scholarships. dynasties can be built when you get guys on other forms of aid. maybe some of these guys are on that and they will not be eating up the athletic scholarships as it appears from the outside.

I agree, but for each kid a combo of scholly, pell (if possible), academic money, work study etc, you can free up some of the athletic money. How long before these kids can claim in state?

On another thread someone confirmed that both Valencias are planning on red shirting.  There's no rush.  It takes time.  Honestly, their confidence is at an all time high right now, and you want to keep that confidence level with any wrestler.  Grooming them through a red shirt year with that coaching class will do wonders.  Throwing them against the wolves, where they will take a few losses, have lots of close, grinding matches, etc., could possibly hurt their mental aspect of the game.  Look at Pico, everybody wanted him to wrestle seniors right off the bat, but his coaches kept that confidence high and have been grooming him by having him wrestle at Junior level events around the world.  Recently, he's entered a few Senior level events and has done very well (even beating Reece Humphrey).  Between J.O, Ed Ruth, Pendleton, and Zeke, these guys should be significantly improved by the time they hit the scene as red shirt freshman. 

no one is bumping stauffer - the valencias can fill the 165 and 174 slots

Dont forget that Zahid Valencia bumped up 50 lbs this year. I am sure he could bump down a weight class or 2. Also, Villareal took a grey shirt this year. He will come in and most likely wrestle 141. Dalton Brady needs to get his weight under control and get to 133. That would leave the whole lineup pretty stacked if only Maruca nad Sheilds red shirt. In any case, it will be fun in Tempe for many years. Maybe even get the NCAA's out there in 2019.

I'll revisit this one in about 3 years. That will be amole time for Jones to form a solid lineup after getting a few solid recruiting classes, moving some guys through a redshirt season, and developing the room. At that point we will know just where ASU stacks up as a team.

Pretty exciting happenings out west.   With Jones seemingly able to draw from all parts of the USA, he figures to pull in the blue chippers at will.   He could be building Penn St. West.   Smith, Sanderson and Koll can all pull talent from any area and in order to compete for national titles, you have to.   With Arizona not exactly a hotbed of wrestling, a huge break is that powerhouse California is just next door.   This could be what awakes the sleeping giant and provides a champiohnship destination for west coast talent.  

Dont forget that Zahid Valencia bumped up 50 lbs this year. I am sure he could bump down a weight class or 2. Also, Villareal took a grey shirt this year. He will come in and most likely wrestle 141. Dalton Brady needs to get his weight under control and get to 133. That would leave the whole lineup pretty stacked if only Maruca nad Sheilds red shirt. In any case, it will be fun in Tempe for many years. Maybe even get the NCAA's out there in 2019.

Zahid is huge and long and he is not bumping down two weight classes, nor does he need two. I could see Anthony bumping down one.

No way Zahid bumps down two weights. He may still be growing for all we know. I see him as a 184 and later maybe a 197 lber in college.

I don't think Anthony goes down to 157, probably too big a cut for an entire college season. If he does, though, I would love to see him vs. Imar again in folkstyle this time.

If they got the Valencias to go 65 and 74, that would be a fearsome lineup.  Especially if they managed to sort out 33/41 with Dalton Brady.  Valencia, Valencia, Stauffer, Benick and Hall in a row? Geez.  If Brady figured out his weight and injury problems and was able to stay at 33, with Kraus at 41 that's a pretty solid lineup.  Add in the two PA boys and that's a pretty solid group. If Zahid winds up at 174 this season, he would be an instant contender since the weight class has cleared out due to graduation.  65 would be interesting to see Anthony since Bo Jordan is there.  Or if IMar moves up at all.  ASU really hit a great class here and after this one hopefully they can pick up one or two studs per year nation wide and draw in some top guys in the west.  Can't imagine how any recruit in the cold northern states would want to pass up ASU's winters and being able to work with guys like Oliver, Pendleton, Fortune, Ruth.

If they got the Valencias to go 65 and 74, that would be a fearsome lineup.  Especially if they managed to sort out 33/41 with Dalton Brady.  Valencia, Valencia, Stauffer, Benick and Hall in a row? Geez.  If Brady figured out his weight and injury problems and was able to stay at 33, with Kraus at 41 that's a pretty solid lineup.  Add in the two PA boys and that's a pretty solid group. If Zahid winds up at 174 this season, he would be an instant contender since the weight class has cleared out due to graduation.  65 would be interesting to see Anthony since Bo Jordan is there.  Or if IMar moves up at all.  ASU really hit a great class here and after this one hopefully they can pick up one or two studs per year nation wide and draw in some top guys in the west.  Can't imagine how any recruit in the cold northern states would want to pass up ASU's winters and being able to work with guys like Oliver, Pendleton, Fortune, Ruth.

..I agree with the majority of your post, however,  has it occurred to you that some people might like winter and the northern climate recreation(skiing, ice fishing, hunting, snowmobiling) ?

..I can't ever see myself moving from the northern latitudes to a desert. 

At 141, you also have Villareal coming in. He has taken a grey shirt from the 2014 class. Dalton Brady is so good. He needs to get his head straight and the rest will take care of itself. And to those recruits that like the snow, you can get to the snow in 2 hours and ski all you want in the Winter. Cant imagine they would miss scrapping the windshield at 5AM before practice.