Sign in to follow this  
gobraves101905

Sun Devil Expectations

..I agree with the majority of your post, however,  has it occurred to you that some people might like winter and the northern climate recreation(skiing, ice fishing, hunting, snowmobiling) ?

..I can't ever see myself moving from the northern latitudes to a desert. 

People not from AZ have this misconception we live in a desert.  More than 2/3 of this state is at elevation and is covered in mountains.  You drive 30 minutes north of Phoenix you're in the trees.  A few years ago Flagstaff had the most snowfall of any town in the lower 48.  That's only a 2 hour drive from Phoenix.  Sunrise Ski Resort is only 3 hours away.  If you've ever been around Flagstaff in the winter there's no shortage of cold weather activities.

So then those of you who live in Phoenix, do or don't live in a desert? 

I'm not from Arizona and I always believed y'all live in a desert.  

The Phoenix metro area is in a desert.  More than 3 million people live there.  That's why most of the images people see of Arizona are desert, because the two biggest cities/metro areas are in the desert.  Most of the state however is not a desert and is very mountainous and has more than 2 seasons.  Most of the east and northern part of the state is very high in elevation and has a lot of trees.  Not many people realize it, but Flagstaff has a higher elevation than Denver.  Flagstaff sits at close to 7500 feet above sea level.  The high desert plains that are farther north and east of Flagstaff are bitter cold in the winter.  We don't live in some nice flat sandy flat state.  It might look like that on postcards but that's not what most of the state looks like.

The Phoenix metro area is in a desert.  More than 3 million people live there.  That's why most of the images people see of Arizona are desert, because the two biggest cities/metro areas are in the desert.  Most of the state however is not a desert and is very mountainous and has more than 2 seasons.  Most of the east and northern part of the state is very high in elevation and has a lot of trees.  Not many people realize it, but Flagstaff has a higher elevation than Denver.  Flagstaff sits at close to 7500 feet above sea level.  The high desert plains that are farther north and east of Flagstaff are bitter cold in the winter.  We don't live in some nice flat sandy flat state.  It might look like that on postcards but that's not what most of the state looks like.

Thanks, I didn't know that. 

So a recruit looking to escape the brutal winters of the north east might find himself in the snow anyways, were he to attend ASU?  The high desert gets snow if I'm not mistaken.   Would he find himself in 120 degree weather in the desert?  Or would he experience both?  

I expect the entire class to redshirt, including Villareal who grey shirted this year, with the notable exception in Hall.

Then they will recruit Vega to be a career 125 and a 133/141 yet to be named.

Next year's lineup will be very similiar to this year

125-  Carpio (Senior) and Lee (RS FR) with wrestle off

133- Brady (JR)

141- Kraus (Senior)

149- Pagdialo (Soph)

157- Pierce (Soph)

165- Peterson (Soph)

174- Waters (JR)

184- Stauffer (Senior)

197- DaSilveria (Senior)

Hvy- Hall (FR)

Zeb's goal is to compete for national titles not compete for a top 10 spot, similiar to Cael and PSU this year, they bite the bullet and redshirt their incoming stars to get in a position where they can compete for championships.

2016/1017 season they are in the mix

125- Lee (RS Soph) and Vega (Fr)

133- Brady (Senior)

141- Villareal (RS FR)

149- Pagdialo (Junior)

157- Maurca (RS FR)

165- Shields (RS FR)

174- A. V. (RS FR)

184- Z. V. (RS FR)

197- Benick (RS FR)

Hvy- Hall (Soph)

I don't know if that team competes for a NCAA DI title just yet, but they will be a 133 and a 149 to 165 (depending on where Shields and Maruca settle) recruit away from a completed star studded prep lineup. 

I stated this in my early post why would they start a kid that has not had a wrestling match in 2 years he stated in an interview he has very little time to work out and train. I find it hard to believe he'll have an instant impact why wast a year.

I give it 3 years tops before ASU is competing for a national title.

Zeke is a proven coach, as good as anyone out there (look at the job he did with the National team), now getting top talent, with all that Cali talent to draw from year in year out.

Just a matter of time, IMHO.

A couple factors that make this a very attractive school.  Competition for recruits is not as tough in the West as in the East, assuming kids from the west would like to be close to home.  In the east, if you are a good student, you have to compete with the Ivy's, lehigh, bucknell, Army, Navy, and of course a lot of solid other schools(PSU, OSU, etc).  Who would ASU be competing with out west?  Stanford(if they are students), Oregon?.

My only questions are in reference to how good of an academic school is ASU?  Do they have some challenging programs to make it worthwhile for better students to go there vs some other top public schools.  My impression of ASU is not that difficult to get into but a fun school.  That said, they can have a very good program without that because there are plenty of kids who just want to wrestle and get some sort of education(unfortunately).

99% of kids don't really care what the academics are like, parents might but not the kids.

ASU has the annual Undie Run so it's a pretty attractive school from the only perspective that matters to a 19-year old boy.

99% of kids don't really care what the academics are like, parents might but not the kids.

ASU has the annual Undie Run so it's a pretty attractive school from the only perspective that matters to a 19-year old boy.

..99%? lol

Ok, for 19-year old boys it might be 99.9%.

Lookup compare pictures of the Undie Run and the University of Minnesota in January then tell me if you want to attend. Assuming sll other things being equal of course.