Sign in to follow this  
gobraves101905

Sun Devil Expectations

I lived and worked near that campus for over 20 years. He can take them around any day of the week and it is always the same.

Short-Shorts and bikini tops (or something similar) are the normal attire for 10 months of the year.

I lived and worked near that campus for over 20 years. He can take them around any day of the week and it is always the same.

Short-Shorts and bikini tops (or something similar) are the normal attire for 10 months of 

That, and you can train on Piestewa and Camelback Peaks. I remember seeing a national-level wrestler training on Piestewa Peak (formerly, Squaw Peak) when I came out there to visit.  

If I was a top wrestler, I'd have to give ASU some serious consideration.  

ASU's problems were really two-fold.

The entire Maricopa Community College system dropped wrestling which was a feeder program for ASU. They had a lot over the years that went there to get academically or athletically prepared for college. The second big issue was the bad decisions in hiring coaches after Bobby Douglas left. It just left that program in shambles and gave an anti-wrestling AD a reason to attempt to cut the program.  

I think the concept(s) of having 'traditional' powerhouse programs are starting to slip away.  Here's my rationale:

* Mobility and 'access' in 2015 is VERY different than 1965, 75, 85, or even 95.  Given the enhanced mobility and 'access' to information, coaches, transportation, etc., kids who grow up in Ohio can now go anywhere they choose to a much high degree of ease.

* The 'Innerweb'.  I cite this as a reason because our heralded 'stars' of Olympic and World level grandeur can now be seen by all, for free, on the internet.  Decades past, not so.  With this advent, recruits can review their potential coaches style, demeanor, accolades, etc., and then make a more informed decision to say "I want to wrestle for Coach X at University Y because of "...."" 

*  Related to the previous point, we now have more 'stars' in our sport than yesteryear.  This means that John Smith and J-Rob are now not the only ones getting the press.  If and when DT, Ruth, Dake, Varner, Tervel, etc all decide to coach, the next crop of recruits will flock to their respective schools, and all of a sudden, a 'non-traditional' powerhouse is formed.

* Immediate Gratification:  We live in a Veruca Salt world... the 'best' kids can flock to the school where they can a.) Start, and b.) have a kick@$$ coach.  Take ASU for example.  All of their freshmen recruits COULD start next year.  If Burroughs hangs up his shoes after the 2016 cycle, and picks... I dunno... say, Michigan State and become their new coach, we would be having the same argument as we are for ASU contending for a title in the next 'X' years.  Why?  See reasons above.  Also... if I'm the top ranked Sr. at a weight in high school... why would I go to a place where I'm the backup to someone like a Stieber, or an AD, or a Gwiz?  Do you think Mark Hall or Spencer Lee (IF they go to college) are going to pick places where they could potentially be a backup?  They'll flock to a place where they can 1.) START, and 2.) WIN, and 3.) have a coach that relates to them and understands how to make them even better.  Note to Michigan State:  You're not getting these guys unless JB or someone is your head coach.  :-)

* There will ALWAYS be the 'strong' programs, but the decades long era of dominance is over.  See reasons above.

* There will ALWAYS be the 'new kids on the block' playing Cinderella and winning a title for a year or two and then dropping away.  See reasons above.  Take tOSU for example.  Yes... they are a 'strong' program year in and year out.  But they absolutely LUCKED OUT by getting the Stiebers, Jordans, NATO, and Snyder.  These guys could have gone anywhere, started immediately, and made an impact at any other number of schools.  Sometimes, it's pure luck, and this year, tOSU knocked off the 'traditional' powers of Minny, Iowa, and (somewhat non-traditional) PSU. 

* Net/Net:  It's a cycle.  Legacies and dynasties are a thing of the past, and it's about who can recruit strongest over a particular 4-5 year span. 

Thanks, I didn't know that. 

So a recruit looking to escape the brutal winters of the north east might find himself in the snow anyways, were he to attend ASU?  The high desert gets snow if I'm not mistaken.   Would he find himself in 120 degree weather in the desert?  Or would he experience both?  

The Phoenix area and snow - no, it very rarely gets any snow.  I don't think Phoenix has had any snowfall this century, had graupel/soft hail a couple of times. 

As Tripnsweep posted, going north from the Phoenix valley, the elevation increasing quickly.  Prescott & Payson are within 100 miles each and they are at or above 5000 ft elevation. 

120 degrees is extreme, it gets hot but not that hot.

"In Phoenix in 2013, there were 115 days that exceeded 100 degrees and 25 days above 110 degrees — both measures outpacing the average since 1981."  and

"At 94.8 degrees, an average of 4 degrees above normal, it was hotter than any previous June. At 119 degrees, June 29 was the fourth-hottest day in recorded Phoenix history."

May through September temperature will either be hot or very hot.

Tucson is cooler than Phoenix (not by much though), at a higher elevation and surrounded by mountains.  Might get snow one or two days every couple of years.  I lived in Tucson as kid, and we got snow a couple of times during winter break, not much though and it pretty much melted within a day. 

Few times I've visited family in the summer there, I can't believe I used to run around outside all day in that heat; years of living in the northern California mountains and coast ruined my tolerance for heat.  Then a relative will go, "It isn't that hot.  Not even 100."  I want to say, "F- you, not that hot."  Acting like 96 or 97 degrees is cool.

A couple factors that make this a very attractive school.  Competition for recruits is not as tough in the West as in the East, assuming kids from the west would like to be close to home.  In the east, if you are a good student, you have to compete with the Ivy's, lehigh, bucknell, Army, Navy, and of course a lot of solid other schools(PSU, OSU, etc).  Who would ASU be competing with out west?  Stanford(if they are students), Oregon?.

My only questions are in reference to how good of an academic school is ASU?  Do they have some challenging programs to make it worthwhile for better students to go there vs some other top public schools.  My impression of ASU is not that difficult to get into but a fun school.  That said, they can have a very good program without that because there are plenty of kids who just want to wrestle and get some sort of education(unfortunately).

Of the schools out west Stanford, Oregon St & Boise St are ASU's biggest competitors.  If it comes down to academics, ASU along with almost every other college isn't going to beat out Stanford.

Oregon St, Boise St, ASU will be fighting over that mid geographical area between them:  CA, UT, CO. 

Beavers get a steady stream of CA recruits, particularly from the Fresno to Bakersfield area which will be interesting to see how that changes when Fresno's team comes back. 

If ASU gets their sh1t together, they should get back to outrecruiting the UT, CO and CA kids, particularly the southern & central CA kids - that close distance and already the factor of many CA kids going to Arizona for college is a big plus. 

ASU has a lot over the other schools out west.

Cal Poly is difficult to get into, has little in the way of financial aid and now is expensive to live in for a college kid.  I attended Poly and left the town in 2000 for San Diego, moved to the beach area of Ocean Beach and my rent went down; town was pretty cheap to live in until the late 1990s.  Plus San Luis Obispo is a small town in the middle of nowhere, when I lived there I knew plenty of people from the Bay Area, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego that couldn't stand it; too small, they transfer out.  Was a common thing you heard from visitors - fun to visit but what the heck do you do if you live here?  Was just too small. 

Like you posted, ASU's acceptance rate is high, they have a mission to have the highest enrollment in the country, so the required academic marks are mediocre.  That helps with giving financial aid outside of athletic scholarships.  Which also gives them another advantage over Cal Poly. 

As for Bakersfield, recruiting for them is rough.  Outside of the Central Valley area, few in California want to live in Bakersfield, all one hears about is how awful Bakersfield is.  And the top local recruits, other colleges are after them.  But given the lack of college teams in California, Bakersfield should have a better team, when it comes down to it if a in-state recruit isn't deciding to go to a UC, then they should be at Bakersfield, or Poly.   I'll take a wild guess that the financial packages offered are miniscule. 

Of the schools out west Stanford, Oregon St & Boise St are ASU's biggest competitors.  If it comes down to academics, ASU along with almost every other college isn't going to beat out Stanford.

Oregon St, Boise St, ASU will be fighting over that mid geographical area between them:  CA, UT, CO. 

Beavers get a steady stream of CA recruits, particularly from the Fresno to Bakersfield area which will be interesting to see how that changes when Fresno's team comes back. 

If ASU gets their sh1t together, they should get back to outrecruiting the UT, CO and CA kids, particularly the southern & central CA kids - that close distance and already the factor of many CA kids going to Arizona for college is a big plus. 

ASU has a lot over the other schools out west.

Cal Poly is difficult to get into, has little in the way of financial aid and now is expensive to live in for a college kid.  I attended Poly and left the town in 2000 for San Diego, moved to the beach area of Ocean Beach and my rent went down; town was pretty cheap to live in until the late 1990s.  Plus San Luis Obispo is a small town in the middle of nowhere, when I lived there I knew plenty of people from the Bay Area, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego that couldn't stand it; too small, they transfer out.  Was a common thing you heard from visitors - fun to visit but what the heck do you do if you live here?  Was just too small. 

Like you posted, ASU's acceptance rate is high, they have a mission to have the highest enrollment in the country, so the required academic marks are mediocre.  That helps with giving financial aid outside of athletic scholarships.  Which also gives them another advantage over Cal Poly. 

As for Bakersfield, recruiting for them is rough.  Outside of the Central Valley area, few in California want to live in Bakersfield, all one hears about is how awful Bakersfield is.  And the top local recruits, other colleges are after them.  But given the lack of college teams in California, Bakersfield should have a better team, when it comes down to it if a in-state recruit isn't deciding to go to a UC, then they should be at Bakersfield, or Poly.   I'll take a wild guess that the financial packages offered are miniscule. 

lol

I  saw your username a while ago and I knew it had to be OB in SD

I lived on Santa Cruz and Bacon for a while

ASU is going to keep getting the recruits after this awesome recruiting class.  Zeke, Ruth, JO, Pendleton, Scott(?) just for coaches.   The girls, the weather, the girls, the girls...

Ok, for 19-year old boys it might be 99.9%.

Lookup compare pictures of the Undie Run and the University of Minnesota in January then tell me if you want to attend. Assuming sll other things being equal of course.

..you can go ice fishing for 6 months of the year, easily.

..that alone makes Minnesota a great place to be. 

Thanks, I didn't know that. 

So a recruit looking to escape the brutal winters of the north east might find himself in the snow anyways, were he to attend ASU?  The high desert gets snow if I'm not mistaken.   Would he find himself in 120 degree weather in the desert?  Or would he experience both?  

It snows maybe once every decade or so and usually not very much.  It snowed in Scottsdale a couple years ago, total freak weather and it scared the hell out of people.  It was all gone by the next day, but it was still pretty funny.  To answer your question, maybe if the conditions were right and it fell on the one day every decade that happens then snow is possible.  It does rain pretty good during monsoon season, a couple years ago ASU was very proud of the practice dome they'd built for football.  Then a monsoon came through with hurricane force winds and knocked it down.  Again, a pretty rare thing, but we do have instances of pretty strange weather at times.  Most of the time it's sunny and perfectly pleasant, the best weather happens to be during wrestling season too.  Come here in late February/early March and you'll probably be thinking that if the weather is like this all the time how can anybody not like it?  Fall (if it truly exists), winter and spring are the times to be here.  It's from May-Sept that will get you. It's like the tradeoff for living in NYC and Boston, you get through their hellish winters just to have their nice summer and spring.  Here it's the opposite, get through summer to enjoy the rest of the seasons which collectively are "not summer". 

Short random thing, we had a wrestler come down from Wyoming a few times last summer, they wanted to check it out and get in some MMA training (one thing we have lots of), so I directed them to a gym in Phoenix.  The gym actually had air conditioning but only kept it on in the office part.  We're desert rats and mostly used to it, but this poor guy was dying.  I think after warming up and a little drilling he was off to the office and when we came in for water he looked at us and was like "WTF is wrong with you people?" But he toughed it out and thought that it was a good thing to be able to train in those conditions. Kept making return trips, but didn't make the move.  The temperature given is usually in the shade.  Without cover and in an asphalt jungle that 115 degrees is easily 125+. If you stay hydrated you're fine though. That's really the key to living and training here. Plus most wrestling rooms (unlike my gym) have air conditioning.

A few comments on some of the posts.

First I cannot remember a single time it was over 120 during the school year, 115 very often but as long as you're drinking a lot of water and staying off concrete or asphalt it is tolerable for short periods of time. 100-105 is perfect and locals don't even think about it. We don't consider it hot until at least 110.

You will have to get used to steering wheels that are too hot to touch for more than a few second at a time but we've all got our problems. DO NOT under any circumstances get in a car with leather or vinyl seats while wearing shorts. Cloth seats is the way to go.  

You can fish 365 days a year but I assure you if you're 19 and living on or around that campus fishing is not going to be on your mind. There is a man-made lake within a mile of campus where a lot of events are held.  

The Phoenix metro area is in a basin flanked by mountains to the north and east. In my 35 years in the valley I cannot remember a single time it snowed in the low areas of the basin (1300 feet) but in the outlying areas I've seen snow down to about 2000 feet. We get about 5-6 days every winter where you have to scrape ice off the windshield but by noon it will be 50 degrees. We wear shorts year round. 

Lots or really good food nearby. I don't mean some I mean lots. I would guess there are 300-400 restaurants within 15 minutes of campus. I may even be light with that number.

Four Peaks Brewery is within walking distance of campus. The food is better than average and they always have several custom brewed bears on tap.

The football stadium kind of sucks as it is getting old. If it is a very cold day get easts on the east side of the stadium. The sun will be shining on you and it won't be too bad. West side seating can be very cold when your in the shade of the press box. East side seating does have to deal with the setting sun so have your sun glasses with you.  

Yes but 120 as the official temperature is not common and doesn't happen every year. We did have that string of 4-5 days back around 1990 that were 121-122 and it stopped several types of aircraft from taking off as Sky Harbor.  

On an asphalt parking lot at about 4-5 PM 125+ is not uncommon. If you're at a mall on a Saturday afternoon in late June park as close to an entrance as possible. It's really hot to walk 100 yards in those conditions. Then as I said be prepared for a really hot car. All the surfaces can be nearly untouchable and the AC will blow nothing but super heated air for a couple of minutes.   

That Phoenix Blizzard was actually hail about the diameter of a pencil lead. I live on a golf course and got a bunch of great photos.

The photo of the girls brings to mine the old Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other."

That Phoenix Blizzard was actually hail about the diameter of a pencil lead. I live on a golf course and got a bunch of great photos.

The photo of the girls brings to mine the old Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other."

You call it a fork, I call it a toast extractor.  Either way it works in the bathtub,

It was still funny to watch people freak out over it.  You have to admit the snow, sleet, hail, whatever it was doesn't happen very often.  I know that it actually snows more in some of the outlying areas like New River, Fountain Hills, Carefree, etc.  when this sort of thing does happen. 

It was in the 50's and had rained for various lengths of time throughout that day when suddenly it dropped to the 40's for about an hour when the hail came down. It was there for about an hour before most if had melted.

You know people in AZ freak out every time there is a drop of water falling form the sky. The fact that we only get rain in two 30-day periods every year makes people forget how to drive in the rain. I will admit the super small hail did make the golf course kind of slick.

Edited by Zebra