Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

Greatest top wrestlers all-time, not counting leg wrestlers

Jesse Jantzen's crab ride was fairly effective.   He used it against a multitude of good guys to rack up back points and get a few falls.   Ryan Churella, Jake Percival and Zach Esposito just to name a handful of those who fell victim to it.   I saw a few guys that could keep themselves from being turned, but only a handful of guys were ever able to escape from it.    Not sure where on the list Jantzen would rank, but he was one hell of a top wrestler, who was not a legger.

I'll go farther back.

Tommy Evans

Dan Hodge

Len Kauffman

Mickey Martin

Rod Kilgore regularly would hsve 6-7 minutes of riding time in 8-minute matches. 4-time AA 2-time champ

Larry Bielenberg wrestled at about 215 when hwt was unlimited. Great with the chickenwing. He'd wear out 285-pounders

Lou Banach

Ben Askren

Jay Borschel. Mack Lewnes still doesn't understand how he was taken down twice and ridden for 3 minutes+ after not being taken down all year. JayBo was on a mission

I was waiting for someone to post Borschel. Also Phil Davis.

Some the best I've seen over past couple of decades

1.  David Taylor.  He could tilt you, cradle you, crab ride you or whatever needed to be done.  He was like a leech. 

2.  Logan Stieber.  Brutal pressure with the arm bars.  Really dominated over his last two years. 

3.  Ed Ruth.  Cradles anyone?

4.  Ben Askren.  More cradles anyone?  Don't try to scramble

5.  Jesse Jantzen.  Was a master of the crab

6.  AJ Schopp.  Chooses top when given choice.  Monster

7.  Kyle Dake.  More of a rider than a pinner or point scorer, but nobody could get away

8.  Mitch Clark.  Brutal leg rider.  Who would choose bottom. 

9.  Nick Simmons.  East Lansing Strangler

10.  Troy Letters.  Crab master like Jantzen. 

Honorable Mention:  Lance Palmer, Troy Nickerson, Jake Herbert, Steve Bosak, Jordan Leen, Dylan Long, James Fleming, Matt Valenti, Mark Perry

Some the best I've seen over past couple of decades

1.  David Taylor.  He could tilt you, cradle you, crab ride you or whatever needed to be done.  He was like a leech. 

2.  Logan Stieber.  Brutal pressure with the arm bars.  Really dominated over his last two years. 

3.  Ed Ruth.  Cradles anyone?

4.  Ben Askren.  More cradles anyone?  Don't try to scramble

5.  Jesse Jantzen.  Was a master of the crab

6.  AJ Schopp.  Chooses top when given choice.  Monster

7.  Kyle Dake.  More of a rider than a pinner or point scorer, but nobody could get away

8.  Mitch Clark.  Brutal leg rider.  Who would choose bottom. 

9.  Nick Simmons.  East Lansing Strangler

10.  Troy Letters.  Crab master like Jantzen. 

Honorable Mention:  Lance Palmer, Troy Nickerson, Jake Herbert, Steve Bosak, Jordan Leen, Dylan Long, James Fleming, Matt Valenti, Mark Perry

Good List!!!!

When I was coaching at OU i was usually in Rod Kilgore's corner at the NCAAs until the finals. His sophomore year when he won his first title he was on deck and warming up. Another wrestler standing near me said all Kilgore has is a single leg, switch, and that dammed ride! I replied that is all he needs. As I posted earlier on another thread he rode Mark Lieberman for over 6 minutes in the finals. He already had a separated shoulder going into the NCAAs, and had surgery scheduled the following monday.

Another great rider was Bill Cripps from ASU. Some older guys can attest he was really good. So was Andy Matter from Penn State.