Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

This week's Foley's Friday Mailbag:

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/14360?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on his comments. There's some stuff in here that I agree with, and some that I disagree vehemently with, but I'm looking for general feedback.

Unfortunately, as of right now, I'm too sick to comment on anything.

None of it is all that revolutionary.  

If you can't see the flaws in the review process you aren't paying attention.

While I think that Andrassy shares some of the blame for the scoring debacle it really shouldn't be all that big an issue to get the score right at the NCAA tournament.  In HS, the other coaches and I have fixed the score of random bouts our kids were involved in and as long as the coach isn't a manipulative idiot it really isn't difficult.  However, it piles on quick in college and if you add RT the issues get out of hand quick.

Going to a knee..... put it on a 5 swipe rule if that many people detest it

Interlocking fingers......Well, freestyle this is prominent, I say that space can create offense so don't tie then, not all that concerned with it

Backpoints at any and all times......I like it and dislike funk.  I know that some find it exciting but a back points count would make funk risky....you know like taking an offensive shot instead of standing there.

Ref at the scorer's table....duh.

Referee/NCAA conspiracy theory........I think he got on a roll and took it too far here.  The refs are highly scrutinized for every match after the fact.  This whole "step in from the outside and fix it" mentality is a Utopian in nature and I don't care what they come up with there will be mistakes, questions, and reffing controversy.  In general, I get tired of people in the sport complaining about officials.  At the same time, there is some legitimacy in the selection of officials and rating them fairly.  I can point to some officials that were leading in the finals that maybe should have been in the bottom 10 and assisting but because they are the "old guard" they got a match to lead in. 

Scoreboards with names etc, it is already on the arena scroll.  It is a good idea but don't assume all wrestling fans aren't intelligent enough to follow it.  Would it make the in house experience better??  Yes.

Push out/true Out of Bounds: don't like it unless it only plays a role in OT.  Everyone in the sport can at least agree we would rather see real TD's then push outs.  We need a rule that produces TD's, not points.

Just my 25 cents packed into a dollars rant.

My main issue with his writing is that he is given a weekly forum to write (mainly) about college wrestling when he

1. Clearly hates it

2. Is employed by United World Wrestling and is paid to promote their styles

None of his proposed on the mat rule changes are a good idea, and he is the wrong person for the job he has at Intermat.

My main issue with his writing is that he is given a weekly forum to write (mainly) about college wrestling when he

1. Clearly hates it

2. Is employed by United World Wrestling and is paid to promote their styles

None of his proposed on the mat rule changes are a good idea, and he is the wrong person for the job he has at Intermat.

Funny I completely disagree?  Of course I may be an idiot too, but I think he see's things with a little different slant which is refreshing when I read this board all the time?

Foley is a fine writer and clear thinker.  Agree or disagree, we've long needed thoughtful opinion pieces and he's one of the few providing them.  I like JB as well.  I also think that Craig Sesker's recent op-ed was well done whether I agreed or not.

Foley is on the mark about wrestlers who constantly stay on a knee.  

I don't understand the "we need to save wrestling with rule changes" attitude. it is a sporting competition and one that hasn't historically appealed to the masses. a few rule changes aren't going to magically get every dual on espn and sell out across the country. we need to continue doing what we do well and retain the attention of former wrestlers. records continue to be broken with attendance and viewership each year. we don't need to change the rules and develop a new product. we need to present our product better, which continues to happen. don't sacrifice great parts of our sport to theoretically make it more appealing to mass audiences. that model has proven to be unsuccessful.

If the current rules were enforced properly we would't be having this conversation. More rules create confusion. First call stalling more often and care less about the politics and things will change.

The mat assistant should be watching that the score is correct. 

Coaches and athletes will adjust accordingly.

I want to know what kind of drugs the idiot that thought of the ball grab was on. Back to topic. None of the blame for the Miller/Realbuto should fall to the coaches. This was entirely the complete f up of the officials and the NCAA.

I want to know what kind of drugs the idiot that thought of the ball grab was on. Back to topic. None of the blame for the Miller/Realbuto should fall to the coaches. This was entirely the complete f up of the officials and the NCAA.

Could not disagree with you more. Are the officials at fault here, yes. But then what is the purpose of coaches in the corner, to advocate for their athlete. They should know what is going on from start to finish in order to best advocate for their athlete. This did not happen. There is a procedure in place for noting scoring errors. They go to the table and ask the officials if the score is correct or were points missed, did not happen.

As far as Foley's rant, I understand his concerns, but let us use concrete data in order to discuss them. ESPN said this was the most viewed ever, so more people are happy with what is going on in front of them. I do not think the NCAA needs a rules overhaul, not with viewing numbers like this.

Well, I disagree entirely on his argument on the mat boundaries - I think the expanded mat area (i.e., the "in the cylinder" rule) is one of the BEST rule changes we've seen in a while, lots of great action results from letting them wrestle through positions at the edge.

Could not disagree with you more. Are the officials at fault here, yes. But then what is the purpose of coaches in the corner, to advocate for their athlete. They should know what is going on from start to finish in order to best advocate for their athlete. This did not happen. There is a procedure in place for noting scoring errors. They go to the table and ask the officials if the score is correct or were points missed, did not happen.

According to Kent State Head Coach Andrassy, that's exactly what he did: "I went to the scorer's table.  

They told me the score was right and sat me down."  

http://www.kentstatesports.com/news/2015/3/20/WREST_0320150046.aspx

Foley is a hack who loves the sound of his own voice. He does nothing in his mailbag but bad mouth college wrestling. What has he done for high school and college wrestling, except complain about it?

Because clearly every thing in those arenas are perfect.

He looks at things with a critical eye and suggests improvements. 

But, keep doing the same thing and hope the sport doesn't die anymore.

Examination of the sport is necessary.