Sign in to follow this  
oldsuper

Logan Stieber two redshirts?

Is it true that Logan Stieber took a middle school "red shirt"? That is, is it true that Logan was held back a year in middle school in order to get an advantage over his opponents? I've heard this a few times, but have not been able to confirm if it was true or not.

Any inside info Ohio wrestling fans?

That's not uncommon for boys with early birthdays....did it with my son, but in kindergarten....I taught 40 years, and talked this over with a lot of educators before we did it...he wouldn't have been 18 until after he graduated (birthday Aug. 20)

Lemon Pie,

I noticed that Stieber is quite a bit older than the average senior when looking at his bio. I was very curious as to why, then I heard of the middle school "redshirt". Someone told me it was so he could get an advantage over his opponents, however I'm not sure if this is true or not.

That's not uncommon for boys with early birthdays....did it with my son, but in kindergarten....I taught 40 years, and talked this over with a lot of educators before we did it...he wouldn't have been 18 until after he graduated (birthday Aug. 20)

Logan didn't have an early birthday. January 24th. This guy won a state title at 19 years old

Logan won three junior high state wrestling titles in Ohio in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade in 2004-06.  Four High School state titles in 2007-10.  He redshirted in 2011, then won 4 NCAA titles 2012-15.  No break in that chain, so if he was held back, it would have been prior to entering 6th grade in 2004.

I am pretty sure he wouldn't have been eligible to wrestle the second semester of his senior year if he was in Michigan.  I had a buddy who was held back and he was able to wrestle the County tournament just before Christmas but that was the end of his eligibility.

I don't know if Michigan has changed that as it is now 20+ years ago.......

I am pretty sure he wouldn't have been eligible to wrestle the second semester of his senior year if he was in Michigan.  I had a buddy who was held back and he was able to wrestle the County tournament just before Christmas but that was the end of his eligibility.

I don't know if Michigan has changed that as it is now 20+ years ago.......

From the MHSAA website

To participate in MHSAA tournament sponsored sports a student must be under 19 years of age except that a student who turns 19 on or after Sept. 1 of a current school year is eligible for the balance of that school year.

Stieber would have been fine.

If you turn 19 before January you cannot wrestle a hs season Dake never had a redshirt year just take that into consideration when you say Logan is older and Dake was done 2 years ago Logan wrestled as a true freshman at 125 and broke his hand early in the season and was granted I be a medical redshirt for that season you have freshman beating seniors so I wouldn't think his age is much of an advantage at the college level

I was 17 for my entire senior year, turned 18 at the end of July.  If I could turn back time and do it differently I would have liked to have been started later and at least been 18 for my entire senior year.  If I shared my junior prom picture on here, you would laugh, I barely look like a teenager.

It is kinda crazy that he's older than Dake, who was done two years ago...

He's barely a month older than Dake.

Kids are held back in elementary for a multitude of reasons, unless you know the exact reason it's hard to be hard on the kid.

If you turn 19 before January you cannot wrestle a hs season, Dake never had a redshirt year just take that into consideration when you say Logan is older and Dake was done 2 years ago, Logan wrestled as a true freshman at 125 and broke his hand early in the season and was granted I believe a medical redshirt for that season you have freshman beating seniors so I wouldn't think his age is much of an advantage at the college level

Edited by NYWRESTLER94

In Oklahoma if a student is held back prior to 9th grade, the student does not loose any high school ellgibility. There is a loss of eligibility if the student makes 19 years before a certain date.

Being "held back" is done for many reasons and sports eligibility is certainly one of those. There used to be a stigma attached when it was called flunking. No stigma equals easier to make the decision. My youngest son was held back after 1st grade on the recommendation of his school's principal. He thought that giving my son an additional year to mature would be academically beneficial. It turned out to be a positive move. Being able to explain that he was being held back to benefit him rather than that he flunked 1st grade made the process positive.

If my information is correct, Dake was winning the ncaa title as a true freshman less than a month after turning 19. At the same age, Stieber was looking for his 4th state title. Funny how this all worked out.

I wonder if Logan Stieber is the oldest non military/mission trip wrestler to win a ncaa title. In the ncaa semis, Logan wrestled 18 year old Kevin Jack from NC state. Logan is 24! Is that the biggest gap in age between two competitors at the ncaas in history? Any wrestling historians around here?