Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

Greatest leg wrestlers of all-time

Some great names have come up on the thread "greatest top wrestlers of all-time), but I know someone was disappointed that leg wrestling was omitted....so here we go, although I don't necessarily want the above mentioned thread to come to an abrupt halt.....

Here's some of my favorite leg wrestlers....

Dave Schultz (more when he got onto the international scene......I learned a ton about leg wrestling from Dave.

Troy and Terry Steiner......great with legs and they had the Steiner tilt too, variations of what Stieber and Taylor do.....actually, I just watched Taylor on Flo use the Steiner Tilt in the Southern Scuffle against Yohn.....it's an armbar with the bar wrist captured to a hip tip.

Mark Churella

Mike Sheets

Edited by fadzaev2

Ok, not the greatest of all time, but I feel need to mention Aaron Holker of Iowa State.  He was just plain mean on top.  Once he got the legs in he would start racking up the points left and right.   I watched him score 12 points once in a single period.   His leg riding techniques propelled him in a serious of wins, including against four time All American Eric Larkin of Arizona State.

Guys who didn't win it all back in the day but still could ride and turn with legs...

Randy Conrad of Iowa State ( whom until recently competed in the Midlands after turning 50) was very very good with the legs back in the early 80s.

Leo Bailey of OKState was also pretty good with the legs, not afraid to stick both boots in.

Steve Martinez of Minnesota...crazy!  As was Danny Zilverberg of the Golden Gophers.

Nick Simmons could get those legs in there too.

Edited by BadgerMon

Mark Perry beat Andrew Howe twice, the last time for the NCAA title using a treacherous double leg ride. After the conference match, I didn't think there was any way Howe would let Perry get his legs in. I really felt that Perry had created a beast by riding Howe out during that match. Man, was I ever wrong. The finals match in OKC may be the toughest ride I've ever witnessed. Howe seemed helpless and flat out couldn't avoid Perry's ride. In my mind it vindicated Perry's conference championship win.

I'm aware that many think Perry shouldn't have been in the finals due to a defensive pin, but that does not negate the power of the finals double leg ride.

Perry was great with legs but he used them to stall.  He'd sink in both boots then lock up a head and arm and just cling.  Great strategy at the time....but now it's rightly recognized as stalling.  Perry is one of the reasons the rules are evolving away from mat wrestling.

King Kong: thanks for clarification. Not enough coffee yet.

Silver-medal: Anytime a wrestler uses the two legged ride most of us will call it stalling unless back points are scored and it's hard to turn an opponent without releasing one leg. In the first Perry v Howe match I really thought Perry should have been hit with stalling early on. However in the NCAA finals match it did appear Perry was putting more pressure on Howe's head and neck in an attempt to turn Howe. But it seemed apparent to me that it was never going to happen and the ref should have warned Perry sooner.

I always remember David Shultz's statement regarding riding. To paraphrase, how can they reward you with riding time points then penalize you if you do it too long? Just doesn't make sense.

Badger Fan -  Glad to see you mention Tony Black.  Watching him his senior year in 2003, it was hard for me to believe that was the only year he ever qualified for the NCAA championships.   I think it was the year before when he first showed promise with a 15-5 major decision over Jason Powell (who finished 5th in the NCAA's that year, and then went on to finish 3rd-1st).   I didn't see him use the Bo and arrow, but I did see him ride out Nick Simmons in an 8-0 major decision win at the BIG 10's and I also saw him ride the snot out of Simmons at the NCAA's in a 5-0 win.    That always stuck out to me because not many guys were able to keep Simmons down on the mat.  I remember him riding the snot out of everyone else, but not the other way around.    

This is all good stuff...Ron Pifer actually wrote a book on leg wrestling titled "Offensive and Defensive Leg Wrestling"....it was in Dale Bahr's book series (Wrestling Coaching Series).  Pifer took 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the NCAA's for Penn State.  I have a copy in my library/vault.