Sign in to follow this  
manyak

Mike Pucillo announcement

It really is no concern to me which way he swings, but announcing it is like any guy announcing his sexual preference. I simply don't need to know that about him. It's none of my business, some will champion his plight, while others will judge. I have to admit it has no bearing on my life, unless this thread makes five or six pages, then I might suggest we talk about wrestling more and sexual orientation or alternate lifestyles less.

Edited by Phil S

A real Christian who believes in the bible will care about the person and try to help them work through this issue, but they won't support his lifestyle choice, and knowing how strong Ryan's faith in Christianity is, I guarantee you he doesn't support his lifestyle choice

i'm curious as to what a lifestyle is. It seems the lifestyle Pucillo chose as a young man was to be an extremely dedicated, hard working student athlete. He apparently would now like to pursue a lifestyle of working hard to teach young wrestlers the same hard work and dedication. I would image any good Christian, or for that matter Hindu, Jew, Zorastorian etc, would approve a lifestyle based on those qualities.

CollegeWrestling4444 has his right to his opinion, and I'm not going to attack him for it.  I just don't agree with him.  

I will say this about Mike Pucillo:  I've talked with him, and, in addition to being a terrific wrestler, he is a really good guy.  

I wish him the best.

It really is no concern to me which way he swings, but announcing it is like any guy announcing his sexual preference. I simply don't need to know that about him. It's none of my business, some will champion his plight, while others will judge. I have to admit it has no bearing on my life, unless this thread makes five or six pages, then I might suggest we talk about wrestling more and sexual orientation or alternate lifestyles less.

I'm with you.  It has no impact on my life either, and hearing his story does not have a profound impact on me.  He isn't announcing it for us though.  There are a number of people in a similar situation as he was (either college, HS, or younger)..often times they are unable to come to terms with themselves and once in a while make the unfortunate decision to commit suicide due to feeling like they are alone.   That's who this story is targeted at, and for that reason he should be commended.  

The reason we are talking about it is because it is newsworthy, seeing as he is the most high profile NCAA wrestler to make this type of announcement.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

A real Christian who believes in the bible will care about the person and try to help them work through this issue, but they won't support his lifestyle choice, and knowing how strong Ryan's faith in Christianity is, I guarantee you he doesn't support his lifestyle choice

i'm curious as to what a lifestyle is. It seems the lifestyle Pucillo chose as a young man was to be an extremely dedicated, hard working student athlete. He apparently would now like to pursue a lifestyle of working hard to teach young wrestlers the same hard work and dedication. I would image any good Christian, or for that matter Hindu, Jew, Zorastorian etc, would approve a lifestyle based on those qualities.

His lifestyle of being a homosexual.

It has nothing to do with how hard he worked as an athlete.

Any good Christian will be praying that he changes his life around.

Good luck coaching, because most parents won't want him working with their kids.

Ryan is supportive as his coach as far as his wrestling career goes.

Ryan never said anything about supporting his lifestyle choice.

Can you point me to anything Jesus ever said condemning homosexuality?

This is a very interesting social issue. It always fascinates me what society will choose to accept and deem moral or immoral. Another thing that interests me is that homosexuality is always defended based upon it being inborn, or not a choice. Let's say someone did choose this lifestyle (and I know of several who admit to choosing it), should that make us less accepting of it? Would we still argue for homosexuals having certain rights that they don't currently have, if we knew that they actually chose that way of life? 

What if another wrestler "came out", but said that it his/her condition wasn't inborn? Would that still be something to be celebrated?

Why is it that the most religious people are the least tolerant, closed minded and judging? Sure seems backwards to me. The more religious the man, the less I trust him.

I can tolerate but not accept it. Two completely diffrent things. Tolerating is not judging either.

He has free will to do what he wants, choose what way to live his life.

Tolerating is not close minded. Having a certain Belief doesn't mean your closed minded.

Having a faith doesn't mean you have to accept everyone's actions. I'm not judging or condemning him as person, just totally disagree with his lifestyle. But most super liberal people see that as hatred or not having an open mind.

It works both ways.

444 doesn't speak for all Christians, at least not me - god bless Pucillo.  If Pucillo says it wasn't a choice for him, I have no reason to disbelieve him. 

Funny how religion, which  is clearly a choice, is used to decide whether someone's nature is moral. 

Edited by WRfan1

This is a very interesting social issue. It always fascinates me what society will choose to accept and deem moral or immoral. Another thing that interests me is that homosexuality is always defended based upon it being inborn, or not a choice. Let's say someone did choose this lifestyle (and I know of several who admit to choosing it), should that make us less accepting of it? Would we still argue for homosexuals having certain rights that they don't currently have, if we knew that they actually chose that way of life? 

What if another wrestler "came out", but said that it his/her condition wasn't inborn? Would that still be something to be celebrated?

Much like how we choose to defend religion against any attack and hold it as an innate civil right, yet it is clearly a choice.

What if someone is born with a strong adversion/ or hatred of homosexuality? Given the fact that it is arguable (certainly among many in the hard sciences) that we live in a deterministic universe where free will is merely an illusion, then their hatred of homosexuality is just as inborn or immutable as the homosexuals sexual preference.

Much like how we choose to defend religion against any attack and hold it as an innate civil right, yet it is clearly a choice.

It is "clearly" a choice to who? I know MANY people with all types of fancy letters attached to their name (MD, PHD, etc.) that wouldn't agree with that at all. They would strongly argue against it.

These issues cannot escape a worldview. Your given worldview will shape the way you view these issues (well, everything really). I like how discussions like these really bring things like this to the forefront.

Edited by oldsuper

Good for him.  If I had a son, I would have no problem with him coaching my kid.  He is gay, not a pedophile.  This is a story because he is the first of his stature to make such a public announcement.  I am looking forward to the day that this becomes a non story.  His wrestling speaks for itself and thankfully he has a friend like Reece Humphrey.

I was involvd in youth wrestling for many years. My experience is that most "serious" wrestling parents would let Atilla the Hun coach their kid if they thought it would be advantageous to the wrestler. Do you think that a racist parent will chose not to let their child play football for Alabama because his position coach is of African decent?

Ryan is supportive as his coach as far as his wrestling career goes.

Ryan never said anything about supporting his lifestyle choice.

Why do you care?  How is this hurting you?  Why can't you just let someone do what they want to do if it's not hurting anybody or anybody's property?  Honestly, if you are truly concerned about this, there are way worse things in the bible you should be worried about than a random human being who is attracted to other human beings that are the same gender. 

If only Christianity worked the way some of these idiots think. Men have been loving men long before Christ walked the earth and Christ would have accepted them with open arms and loved him.

The only choice Pucillo has made its to no longer hid something to the way God made him, is as natural as breathing. As a straight person doesn't second guess their attract to the opposite second because it is simply in their nature. A gay persons attraction to the same sex is also in their nature.

(I just wanted to put another Christian view out there because we are often represented by overly loud and hypocritical morons.)

God bless Pucillo

It is "clearly" a choice to who? I know MANY people with all types of fancy letters attached to their name (MD, PHD, etc.) that wouldn't agree with that at all. They would strongly argue against it.

I can change my religion tomorrow, and then again the next day - very easily.  Whether someone was indoctrinated in it since birth feels as though there is a real choice is another issue. Orphans aren't inherently one religion or another. 

Why do you care?  How is this hurting you?  Why can't you just let someone do what they want to do if it's not hurting anybody or anybody's property?  Honestly, if you are truly concerned about this, there are way worse things in the bible you should be worried about than a random human being who is attracted to other human beings that are the same gender. 

Why does he care? That's a good question. I'm talking literally: why does he care? Could he simply not care if he wants to? Does he really have the ability to switch off his "care controls" and simply not care. Just like "that" with a snap of the fingers?