Sign in to follow this  
emk1

Referees at NCAA

The referees have a tremendously difficult time for a 7 minute match.  However, they are NOT new and all have experience with using the mat assistant.  Unfortunately some did poor jobs and lacked total concentration.  Hopefully some do not get invited back.  I saw the Challenge numbers for last year and this year but cannot seem to find them again.  I think it was something like 1 out of 12 last year and 1 out of 4 this year.  If those numbers could be re-posted, much appreciated.  Hopefully the referees do an After Action Report and self assess themselves.  No one wants to beat them up but do the job with focus.

I thought they did a pretty good job. the mistakes they made were huge, and unfortunately stole the headlines. one thing I liked that I saw more of this year was the officials calling more of their own reviews. they weren't sure, so they took a look. I did see a review where the camera angle was awful and they overturned the call anyway. they 100% got the call right by overturning the td, but had the asst stepped up before the review I don't think the review needed to be made.

Of course they weren't perfect, and yes there were some blown calls, but overall, thought they did a very solid job. Good hustle, good attitudes, most looked physically fit, and most appeared to know the rules cold. And they worked a lot of matches.

Grade: B

I'd give them an A if they would have dinged wrestlers for walking off the mat out of bounds.

I 100% against review in wrestling. Once a wrestler has been awarded points he makes instant decisions based on the call. It is therefore my position reviews change what happens and you can't go back and be in the same position wrestlers were in when the call was made.

Also noticed a lot of new faces officiating at the big dance the past 2 or 3 years. For a good decade or so, it seemed like it was the same officials year in and year out. Have no real data on this, just eyeballing on tv.

The NCAAs is a group project. Everyone has their part to contribute. The Miller fiasco is equivalent to the one member of the group that lost or destroyed the zip drive prior to the big presentation for a multi million dollar account. It tainted the entire tournament.

So you fire the entire group because of that? No, you isolate how it happened, and then you take steps to hopefully make sure it doesn't happen again, or at least minimize the chances of it happening again. But painting all 20 officials with the same broad brush when 18 of them had absolutely no involvement in that situation (and 14 were involved in totally separate situations at the same time) is among the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while.

All you have to do is watch high school officiating to appreciate how good D1 officials are.  Kudos to them for the fine job they do. What happened in the Miller match was an honest mistake by the officials made worse by a committee.  That's what committees do.

I have two issues with the officiating and it is the same every year.

1. They have to call stalling aggressively and by the book. While there is a bit of situational judgment given to the referees it is painfully obviously they are not calling it correctly.

2. They need to call fleeing the mat. When a wrestler intentionally leaves the wrestling area he is almost always fleeing. 

2. They need to call fleeing the mat. When a wrestler intentionally leaves the wrestling area he is almost always fleeing. 

Not almost.  "Intentionally" leaving the wrestling area is the definition of fleeing.   It's just sometimes tough to tell if it's intentional and not that this really matters but I've hardly ever seen a fleeing call that didn't draw constant complaining from the penalized coach.  

Seemed like a lot of times I noticed guys "intentionally" going right up to the edge when they were in danger, but then turning back in so as to not go totally out of bounds, and then most of the time they would eventually go out in the process of working an actual defense.    So it wasn't officially fleeing, but you can't really call them for stalling when for example the other guy is holding a single leg in the air...well I guess you probably could...

Edited by 1032004

The penalized coach is always complaining. I've even had a coach argue that it wasn't really a full nelson since the kids hands didn't touch. When I said the penalty is "upon application" he said it wasn't really applied until the hands touched. I essentially told him to stop arguing nonsense and get back in his corner.  

How many times have you seen a kid dive out of bounds instead of facing in and defending a takedown? That is fleeing and if you kit a few kids with it they will stop. The same is true of a top man following and pushing the bottom man out of bounds to prevent an escape. In both of these cases we'll see less stoppages for going out of bounds and more active wrestling so it's a win-win situation.

Regardless the rule is in place and should be followed.

In college, there is no longer a separate and distinct penalty for fleeing the mat. It is all wrapped under stalling.

Ah, didn't know that. Seems like that kinda contradicts the goal of creating more action like the other thread is discussing...