Sign in to follow this  
emk1

Referees at NCAA

Actually compared to the officiating at the 2014 NCAA tournament, this year was not anywhere as bad.  I saw an ample amount of horrible calls last year.  I saw unfair and biased calls in a ton of matches.   A wrestler would be awarded two points on a questionable call and then later on in the match his opponent would have him in the exact same compromising position or even better.....a position that is closer to points than the points he gave his opponent earlier and the referee signaled no points.    

This year's tournament wasn't anywhere near as bad.  There was more consistency and the calls were better.   Matter of fact I only saw a couple of matches where I thought the officiating was really bad.   Of course the match that needs no mention as everyone is talking about it, then you have the Spencer Myers of Maryland Vs Matt Kroells of Minnesota.   How Myers wasn't awarded any points at the end of the match when he was clearly in control and had clearly scored on Kroells is a miscarriage of justice.  Not as bad as the referee who literally screwed J.T. Felix of Boise out of an All American award and instead handed it over to Austin Marsden of Oklahoma State, last year,  but it was still bad.    I also thought that Kyle Crutchmer of Oklahoma State got the short end of the stick against Logan Storley of Minnesota.   That was more of an iffy call, but I still think that Crutchmer was the legal winner of that match. 

I agree that the officiating this year (Miller/Realbuto excepted) was pretty dang good.  Yes, stalling calls were few and far between except the obligatory call on the winning wrestler with 30 sec left, but that wasn't so much different than the regular season.

One of very few poor calls I saw was when Lavion Mayes was destroying Anthony Abidin in the R12 match, I think he was up 10-4 after 5 takedowns in the first period, and he dropped to an ankle with like 5 seconds on the clock.  Abidin stood up and hopped out of bounds while Mayes never let go of the ankle.  He got hit for stalling.  After scoring FIVE takedowns??  That was kinda ridiculous.