GoNotQuietly

Greatest top wrestlers all-time, International version

Yeah but you didn't see too many leg laces in the 70s and the technique was pretty much nonexistent in the 50s & 60s.

There are other ways to score on top than the leg lace. I'm not sure why you say that technique was "pretty much" non existent in the 50s and 60s. Just because different holds were popular back then, doesn't mean that the technique was bad, or not there.

Aldatovs lace is gorgeous for sure . I'd consider Akgul and Sadulaevs gut wrenches just as effective though.

Also not saying he's as good as those guys but Dake is a very dangerous top wrestler also. Turned both the freestyle and Greco world champions.

There are other ways to score on top than the leg lace. I'm not sure why you say that technique was "pretty much" non existent in the 50s and 60s. Just because different holds were popular back then, doesn't mean that the technique was bad, or not there.

I mean that the ankle lace technique was pretty much nonexistent in the 50s & 60s.  I focus on the ankle lace because when great par terre wrestling comes into discussion ankle laces come to mind for most people along with some other funky stuff.  Wrestlers from the 50s & 60s didn't do that much funky stuff because the emphasis was more on pinning combinations.  Tilt/turn  focus came much later as the rules changed.  Wasn't trying to say wrestling technique was bad in the 50s & 60s because it wasn't.

Abdulrashid Sadulaev is quite proficient on top. His gut wrenches, especially when a guy tripods to defend a takedown, are scoring him a lot of points on the senior level. He certainly isn't yet among the greatest of all time given his age, but that kids ceiling is unbelievably high, in part due to his ability to turn guys in par terre.

Edited by Tofurky

I am just wondering where is the love for S Belaglasov and Y Takada. Takada with the old school top work, and Belaglasov with the timeless top work that translates to today. I realize there is an American centric on a USA board but I think a strong case could be made that Belaglazov is better on top, or at least equal too, then all US wrestlers mentioned.

Just sayin'. 

I am just wondering where is the love for S Belaglasov and Y Takada. Takada with the old school top work, and Belaglasov with the timeless top work that translates to today. I realize there is an American centric on a USA board but I think a strong case could be made that Belaglazov is better on top, or at least equal too, then all US wrestlers mentioned.

Just sayin'. 

Just sayin'. 

Belaglazov was better than almost everyone at almost everything, so we probably missed him because he "goes without saying".  But you're absolutely right, both of these guys were amazing from par-terre.

Surprised no one has mentioned Arsen Fadzaev, maybe the best positioned wrestler of all time, complete in all areas including being a hammer on top when he wanted to.

Thanks for bringing that up :0)......my buddy Belaglozov was an animal in all positions too

It was 87, about a minute into the match already up 6-0 (approx) when he pins Barry with his patented front-chest lock-step-over.

He actually pinned him with an arm bar stack.  The chest lock lock got him on top.   I think it was FHL td 1, out of bounds then center, snap off of Davis shot attempt to chest lock step over for 2, went behind then roll though pump handle for 2 then immediately ran bar for 2 then stacked him the other way for 2 and the fall.  9-0 before the fall about 1:32.

I remember seeing at one point, maybe it was on flo when it was accessible, but not being able to find more recently. My recall is being awestruck at how bad he made Davis look. Like a HS state champ wrestling a 1st day jv guy or something.