Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Penn State discussion

If Zain goes 149, I think we see this lineup:

125- Mega/Conaway

133- Gulibon (Conaway is too small for 133)

141- Moss (Gulibon is too small for 141)

149- Zain

157- Nolf

165- Hammond/Rasheed

174- Nickal

184- McCutcheon

197- McIntosh

HWT- Nevills

Lot of rumblings this is what we may see. Can't say I am thrilled at first glance but Sanderson knows these guys a heck of lot better then I do and if the decision is made now, Conaway and Gulibon at least have time to add some horsepower over the Spring/Summer. I will say 141 is going to be there for the taking. Too bad Zain can't make it anymore but maybe Jimmy can take advantage.

125: Mega

133: Conaway

141: Gulibon

149: Rutherford

157: Nolf

165: Hammond/Rasheed

174: Nickal

184: McCutcheon

197: McIntosh

285: Nevills

Lot of rumblings this is what we may see. Can't say I am thrilled at first glance but Sanderson knows these guys a heck of lot better then I do and if the decision is made now, Conaway and Gulibon at least have time to add some horsepower over the Spring/Summer. I will say 141 is going to be there for the taking. Too bad Zain can't make it anymore but maybe Jimmy can take advantage.

If this is the lineup, what does that mean for 2016-17?

Mega and Conaway will be gone. Gulibon will have one more year left. Is he supposed to stick around 141 or go back down? Who will fill the 125 and 133/141 spots? I'm hoping Red, Suriano, and Lee all choose PSU, but you never know.

I would like that if I were you.

Pretty tough lineup.

Jammen - tell us where you expect Nickal to finish so we can circle back next year and see whether you were closer to correct than the guy who just predicted a title for Andrew Alton.

R12 will be a good showing.

I don't think anyone could argue that PSU's lineup would be stronger with Gulibon at 33, Zain at 41 and Beitz at 49....as opposed to Conaway(33), Gulibon(41), Zain(49) or the other alternative of Gulibon(33), Moss(41) and Zain(49).

Beitz at 49 is better than Moss at 41, and keeping Gulibon and Zain at their more natural appearing weights just makes sense to me.

So I predict:

125 - Mega

133 - Gulibon

141 - Zain

149 - Beitz

157 - Nolf

165 - Hammond/Rasheed

174 - Nickal

184 - McCutcheon

197 - McIntosh

285 - Nevills

Edited by ludwigdmd

Two things.

One, I don't believe Andrew Alton will get his 6th year, but I concede anything is possible. Two, assuming Zain has to go at 149, I don't think Conaway at 133 and Gulibon at 141 would be wise. If they did that then the best case scenario at those weights is low AA. but it could even be R12 and Penn State might not score 10 points combined at those weights. Penn State would be better off with Gulibon at 133 and Moss at 141. Gulibon could score more than 10 by himself at 133 next year thus making anything Moss gets at 141 pure bonus. This would suck for Conaway, but I think it would be the best for the team.

Keeping Moss in the lineup for another year is Brands-ish. I actually think Gulibon would be a better fit at 141. Henderson (maybe), Brewer (maybe), Mayes (maybe), Heil, Jack, Ashnault, Mecate, Cruz, Thorn... Meh weight Edited by LemonPie

If this is the lineup, what does that mean for 2016-17?

Mega and Conaway will be gone. Gulibon will have one more year left. Is he supposed to stick around 141 or go back down? Who will fill the 125 and 133/141 spots? I'm hoping Red, Suriano, and Lee all choose PSU, but you never know.

You definitely hope for Red and Lee. Maybe Pletcher. I don't have expectations of getting Suriano or Fix. Perhaps make a push for Yates. The door is wide open for some of these guys. Also you can try to pick up Freddie Rodriguez as a stop-gap.

I had all these paragraphs written about Andrew Alton and just deleted it. I will just keep it simple. He has always been my favorite wrestler and it killed me when when I heard he needed knee surgery right before the season started. The kid can not catch a break, and I was hoping he could put it all together his last year. No one at 149 the last two years could have beat a HEALTHY Alton, not even close. I am hoping for a miracle that he gets granted another year, but from reading so many posts(mainly PSU boards) it does not look good. Whatever happens, thanks for all the great memories kid!

I would love to see all the paragraphs and how they erase facts, history, and logic.  The kid had 3 NCAA wins in his 5 year collegiate wrestling career.  His brother was an NCAA all-american and potential National Champ who got derailed by injury.  Andrew was a great High School wrestler.  

MJK if you want to score points then Mr. Gulibon should have certified @ 125...Mega could be a NCAA Champion @133...Mr. Gulibon @ 141 will get rode like a mule as happened this year...Mr. Retherford is strong but so are a lot of folks @ 149...Mr. Nolf @ 157 isn't a concern...Mr. Nickal @174 is another injury waiting to happen...ETC...The summer can change things but being comfortable with the competition displayed at this years tournament is not wise!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

The Alton Era is over, Andrew Can't wrestle harder than 1 minute, Dylan placed 3rd at NCAA's but that was 2 injuries ago and it's 3 years later, not the same wrestler now. Also, I can't see Dylan beating Nolf at 157 anyway and no way Andrew beats Zain at 149. 

125- Mega

133- Gulibon/ Conaway

141- Moss

149- Zain/ Beitz

157- Nolf/ Frey

165- Hammond/Law

174- Nickel/Rasheed

184- McCutch/ Phipps

197- Macintosh

Hwt- Nevills

The Alton Era is over, Andrew Can't wrestle harder than 1 minute, Dylan placed 3rd at NCAA's but that was 2 injuries ago and it's 3 years later, not the same wrestler now. Also, I can't see Dylan beating Nolf at 157 anyway and no way Andrew beats Zain at 149. 

125- Mega

133- Gulibon/ Conaway

141- Moss

149- Zain/ Beitz

157- Nolf/ Frey

165- Hammond/Law

174- Nickel/Rasheed

184- McCutch/ Phipps

197- Macintosh

Hwt- Nevills

Frey will be gone. He's graduating this year and has announced he won't be sticking around to use his last year of eligibility.

One rule that needs to be changed in a sport that is defined by "Weight"...Have two scales certified at every event and stepped on prior to the match...It was obvious during the NCAA Finals some competitors were not even close to their competition weight...On we go!!!

125- Mega- Need him here!

133-Conaway- Conaway should not be on the bench.

141- Gulibon- Moss is a huge hole, and Gulibon needs to wrestle here, he will be fine.

149- Retherford- Beitz is prett good, but can not get over the hump, and he needs to sit.

157- Nolf- Duh.

165- Rasheed- Hope he is an upgrade from an inconsistent Hammond.

174- Nickal- Great replacement for Brown.

184- Cutch- Phipps?

197- Macintosh- He is not dropping, this is his weight.

HWT- Nevills- Solid heavy who needs to get a bit bigger and stronger.

I will email this to Cael ASAP.

So, Zain is all but penciled in at 149 the next three years. I guess you adjust by getting Joseph to 157 and Nolf to 165 eventually. The concern right now is for Manville. I know he still has another year of HS, but he looks like a 149/157 pounder right now and I don't think he has much room to fill out.

Just by looking at his frame, I don't see how he gets to a legit 174. He's really a 152 pounder this year. Sure, you can have him compete at 157 with Joseph, or you can sit Joseph behind Zain for two years, but unless one of them busts, it just seems like a wasted opportunity to have Joseph or Manville sit. Hopefully Nolf fills out into a 174 eventually. By Manville's redshirt freshman year, maybe you have:

149- Retherford Sr

157- Joseph So / Manville Fr

165- Manville / Joseph / Hammond

174- Nolf Jr

184- Nickal Jr / McCutcheon Sr / Rasheed Jr

197- McCutcheon / Rasheed / Nickal