Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Penn State discussion

Can Rasheed actually beat Hammond? Also, did Rasheed grow? I thought he couldn't make weight this year and had to wrestle up at an open. Good for him for growing and not sucking a lot... just wondering where he may go.

I don't think he should try to hold 165. I can't see how he'd be a huge improvement over Hammond, if at all. It's probably Nolf's future weight anyway. I haven't seen him in person, but from videos/pics he looks to have a good amount of length on him. I think he should try to fill out his frame this offseason and wrestle 184 in open tournaments next year. If he's having success, he can set his eye for 197 after McIntosh leaves. If struggling at that the higher weight he can work back down to 174 and hope Nickal and McCutcheon bump up.

Edited by LemonPie

I think Zain needs to cut to 141. I don't care if he doesn't like cutting, he was not a big 141. His frame just isn't big enough to wrestle 149, even if he's put on muscle. And him moving up to 149 doesn't do his team any favors by leaving a hole at 141. 

125- Mega (National Champ)

133- Conaway (8th)

141- Gulibon (5th)

149- Zain (3rd)

157- Alton (National Champ)

165- Nolf (5th)

174- Nickal (5th)

184- Cutch (R12)

197- MacIntosh (2nd)

HWT- Nevills (R12)

Just guesses without really looking too much into the rest of the field. I think PSU needs Conaway and Gulibon in the line up. I think Gulibon needs to be at 141, Moss needs to be a back up. If they want to contend for the title next year, they can not afford to have any holes. Period. Ohio State and Oklahoma State are going to be stacked.

-Who does Nevills have to roll around with?-

Alton is my homer pick, IF he gets another year. If not I got 157 Nolf and 165 Rasheed.

In the room……Nevills likey has at least a few good partners to roll around with.

First, and perhaps the most productive guy to roll with, is 'the professor.'

The professor looks kind of big these days. My guess……he walks at about 2 and a quarter.

Working with Cael is not about improving the gas tank. Rather it is more about learning.

Learning from the best……the professor.

I really wouldn't think McIntosh would be the guy(even though he is very good) you want to roll around with when most of the guys you are going to wrestle will be over 6' tall and 230+.  I don't think McIntosh is even 5'10" and I would be surprised if he walked around over 205.

"And then there's Cael"

In so far as 97's rollin' with the big guy :

You know……we wrestled with certain partners for various reasons.

We had (a 2X AA)……1X champ,in the room. He was, in fact, NCAA champ at 167.

When we rolled around together,he would often lash out at me. Especially during those last few days of

cuttin' weight, prior to a dual. You see, I was 2 weights above him.

And, our big man was 250/255, and a good one indeed. So, that Hwt of ours was just (way) big for me.

All of this helped. After getting it on (in the room) with guys bigger and/or stronger………I (we) felt

stronger than many opponents……from other schools.

Point being--it's doable. And, it's doable with positive outcomes.

Note to the mini conversation as to Nevills..... isn't Varner also part of the program.  I am pretty sure he would be a good partner as well as Cael.

Re: McIntosh, I still say that guy would be a champion already at184 and is just under leveraged, and under powered at 184.

To PSU in general, they have a wealth of talent, now matured some..... the rivalry between tOSU and PSU should be fun going forward as tOSU seems to have found the formula to have their great recruiting perform up to expectations (something PSU does well with the exception of the injury prone lung lacking Altons). 

Can Rasheed actually beat Hammond?  Also, did Rasheed grow? I thought he couldn't make weight this year and had to wrestle up at an open.  Good for him for growing and not sucking a lot... just wondering where he may go.

Rasheed missed weight by 2 oz in an open tourney that was his first action back from injury.  Maybe he can, maybe he can't, but that's hardly evidence of being unable to make weight.