Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Taylor

Going to a knee is stalling?

There is no need to penalize a different style of wrestling as long as the wrestler is being offensive. Penalizing a wrestler for going to his knee in neutral would more than likely have kept an inspirational wrestler like Anthony Robles from making the tremendous impact that he did. Sure there are many that may use that particular technique more for defense, but put it on the referee to call stalling in that case (and others as well).

It's really not that difficult to see when a wrestler is stalling. We just need referees willing to make the call. Maybe it's time to go back to a mandatory stall call on at least one wrestler when there is no score in the first period. If the decision is not clear cut, hit them both. Without a stall call to give, wrestlers will be a lot less likely to stall late in the match. Another option would be to do away with the warning altogether and make the first call a point.

No free passes for the heavier weights either. Nothing is more frustrating to me than seeing offensive heavyweights like Gwiz, McMullan, and Walz continually push the pace and take risks on their feet only to give up a late defensive TD as the referee refused to force the other wrestler make any sort of offensive attempts

There is no need to penalize a different style of wrestling as long as the wrestler is being offensive. Penalizing a wrestler for going to his knee in neutral would more than likely have kept an inspirational wrestler like Anthony Robles from making the tremendous impact that he did. Sure there are many that may use that particular technique more for defense, but put it on the referee to call stalling in that case (and others as well).

It's really not that difficult to see when a wrestler is stalling. We just need referees willing to make the call. Maybe it's time to go back to a mandatory stall call on at least one wrestler when there is no score in the first period. If the decision is not clear cut, hit them both. Without a stall call to give, wrestlers will be a lot less likely to stall late in the match. Another option would be to do away with the warning altogether and make the first call a point.

No free passes for the heavier weights either. Nothing is more frustrating to me than seeing offensive heavyweights like Gwiz, McMullan, and Walz continually push the pace and take risks on their feet only to give up a late defensive TD as the referee refused to force the other wrestler make any sort of offensive attempts

I have no problem with ANY of this.

Also when a kid just STOPS wrestling and holds position for a stalemate is STALLING.

I disagree that taking a knee is stalling by itself. It is legitimate to defend against a shot, and to set up a true shot like John Smith. It is also legitimate in the case of Robles and other one legged wrestlers. It is simply a method of adaptation.

I disagree that taking a knee is stalling by itself. It is legitimate to defend against a shot, and to set up a true shot like John Smith. It is also legitimate in the case of Robles and other one legged wrestlers. It is simply a method of adaptation.

True, but adapted to limit the opponents opportunities, while staying low.  I personally propose that any wrestler not changing levels is stalling, and really taking it easy on himself.  BUt going low and not coming up in order to set up a shot is not changing levels and is somewhat cheap if the guy stays there without coming up. Its just somewhat chicken****.  Go to your knee in defense, but not constantly.  

And Robles wouldn't count man...come on. That is different.  

Watching old wrestling in the 80s and such, the wrestlers stances dared the opponent somewhat to shoot on them, inviting action. They wanted to wrestle and get after it. I mean I'd rather wrestle, the way it should be done, score my point and lose, than score one damn takedown in a one takedown match..... Nowadays its kept low scoring in order to improve the odds of winning.  We've takin the art of wrestling, and turned it into a science.  

Edited by Fishhook

Lewboo flat out gave his leg. He would give up two and even three takedowns just to get the match going, but he would also get throws, trips, switches, and score from the top. The science of wrestling sucks, but those that make an art form of it are still worth watching.

the vast majority of guys that go down to one knee back up at least a couple steps and then take a knee. This more or less forces a guy to move in on them.............. I think the best way to deal with it is to simply stay right on the line and wait for him to come back to you. If he comes forward on one knee you better get down there as well to protect your self.

Going to one knee limits your opponents offense unquestionably. But to let your opponent below you is a recipe for getting yourself taken down.

A perfect example of using it as an advantage would be the Moisey/Gilman match. Off the whistle Moisey backs up and goes straight to one knee, Gilman goes after him and drops down as well but as soon as Gilman goes down Moisey shoots getting the easy takedown.

Couple of greats who would wrestle on one knee: Danny Hodge and Eric Larkin. Neither was known for stalling. If a guy goes down on both knees the opponent should "pounce" on him and getna front head & arm if possible.

ZERO reason to include Robles in the 'one knee' style of wrestling....the guy has one leg.

also not sure why we keep beating this topic to death, anyone who uses this tactic needs to have his opponent use it against him. Did any wt. class outside 125 use the one knee approach? 

You ever see the 184 from Mich. State?  He was constantly on his knees.  His whole strategy was to try to force an opponent to become impatient.  He would not present at all.  

There's nothing wrong with going to a knee if the motive is to score.  When you constantly do it to prevent action, it's stalling.

have not seen the 84 from MSU, no.

it's not something you want to go out and teach young kids for sure. Because 125's are so cat quick, i realize it's basically utilized to prevent leg attachs...e.g. Moisey

takes away action for sure

Waters goes to his knees quite a bit because he's longer than most 125 guys and his legs are more exposed.  Going to a knee helps cover his legs, but he was frequently reaching, shooting, and scoring from that position as well.  Making a blanket statement that going to a knee is stalling is just dumb.