Sign in to follow this  
dhun

Has there even been a wrestler with a legitimate perfect record

The first name people bring up is Cary Kolat. However, recently I saw his Dapper Dan match and although it officially ended in a draw, everyone knows he really lost. Regardless, the draw makes his record not perfect.

Then we have Scott Winston, who did win every match but missed the last half of his freshman year because of injury. In my mind, this doesn't count.

I've heard through folklure that Dan Gable was undefeated in high school. If this is true, is he the only guy that has reached perfection during high school.

Nick Suriano is pretty darn close with 3 Beast of the East titles. He did lose to Spencer Lee, but that was not a high school match.

Edited by dhun

The first name people bring up is Cary Kolat. However, recently I saw his Dapper Dan match and although it officially ended in a draw, everyone knows he really lost. Regardless, the draw makes his record not perfect.

Then we have Scott Winston, who did win every match but missed the last half of his freshman year because of injury. In my mind, this doesn't count.

I've heard through folklure that Dan Gable was undefeated in high school. If this is true, is he the only guy that has reached perfection during high school.

Nick Suriano is pretty darn close with 3 Beast of the East titles. He did lose to Spencer Lee, but that was not a high school match.

What made the Suriano loss to Lee any less of a high school match than a Dapper Dan match?

Nick lost in High School Nationals to Joe Dubuque. I don't know about Andy

Andy Simmons lost to Matt McIntyre at Senior Nationals. I thought he was unbeaten going in. The following year Josh Churella lost to Zac Flake at seniors. I thought he was unbeaten also.

I'm sure there are several wrestlers that never lost in high school.

If you count events like Fargo, Senior Nationals, Flo, Cadet/Junior Duals, I doubt anyone has gone undefeated throughout high school. The only exception would be kids not going to those events.

Super 32 

What made the Suriano loss to Lee any less of a high school match than a Dapper Dan match?

Is was at Super 32. It is generally accepted that off season tournaments don't count. The Dapper Dan is a more like a season ending high school match.

If you count events like Fargo, Senior Nationals, Flo, Cadet/Junior Duals, I doubt anyone has gone undefeated throughout high school. The only exception would be kids not going to those events.

I don't think free or greco should be counted in any case.

Pico lost to Dean Heil at Iron man.

That was a super 32 match.* At his ironman, Pico beat Micah Jordan who had beaten Dean Heil in the semis, thus denying Pico the chance to turn the tables on Heil.

*Edit--or maybe a flo match. I saw video of it and Heil looked big compared to Pico. This was one match where size may have made a real difference.

Edited by LkwdSteve

These are some ludicrous "criteria" for determining if a guy was undefeated. Preseason events are excluded, but post season all-star events are included, but freestyle and greco are excluded...what else? 

Good point, of course. These are claims made by fans (and maybe the wrestlers themselves). Bragging rights require specificity. 

Brent Metcalf was undefeated in high school, including a win over Dustin Schlatter at the Medina tournament.  At high school nationals Brent lost to Schlatter in the finals.  (one day weigh-in I believe)  Brent won six Junior national titles at Fargo, and some Cadet titles too I believe.  During that time, Brent was on four team state championship teams (Big Schools/MI.) as well.

Edited by fadzaev2

These are some ludicrous "criteria" for determining if a guy was undefeated. Preseason events are excluded, but post season all-star events are included, but freestyle and greco are excluded...what else?

That was the point I was trying to establish earlier. Was trying to give the OP a chance to establish his criteria. Either way there have been several undefeated high school wrestlers.

He was trolling anyway.

I believe Jeff McGinnes was undefeated in high school, and Eric Jeurgens

They both lost in the Dapper Dan- McGinness to Tom Tomeo and Juergens to Jeremy Hunter. If anyone from Iowa, maybe Jeff Kerber or John Meeks because they won at the DD, or Dan Knight who didn't wrestle in it at all. All of the above had losses at Junior Nationals/Fargo.

If you are counting Freestyle Scott Winston was not undefeated.

Waldo Gutierrez from Morenci HS in Arizona was 179-0.  He didn't compete in freestyle and was a 3 sport athlete.  I believe he tried to play football in college.  I think he wrestled once that wasn't during the actual scholastic season, he beat the big school state champion from Sinagua HS in double OT.  That was the end of the year All Star dual.  But as far as I know he didn't do freestyle or try to make the Arizona cadet or junior national teams.