Sign in to follow this  
dhun

Has there even been a wrestler with a legitimate perfect record

I think Teyon Ware was undefeated all four years of high school. His only loss was in freedtyle to Todd McNeely his senior yearbin freestyle at Fargo. He won the two previous years. Don't know what he did as a Cadet. Kenny Monday was tied by Mike Sheets his senior yesr in a dual meet, which was the only blemish on his high school record.

How is Spencer Lee on this so far? I don't think he's lost a match domestically and is a Cadet world champion with a tech in the finals I believe?

Lee lost at Cadet worlds the year previous.   He also lost at super 32 headed into high school.   Depending on what criteria the OP is looking for, Lee may or not be in the running for legitimately perfect

Words could not describe the skills that Pepe possessed on the mat. It is a little known fact however that his younger brother, Diego was even better. He was some something like 152-0 after his third year in high school ( St. Castro), when an evening on the beach went horribly wrong. After he and some friends got into old man Carrillo's shed a obsconded with some "Caneshine, they decided to go for a swim in the moonlight. Diego was caught in a riptide and was swept into a large breeding mass of jellyfish, actually they were Portuguese man Of war (phasilia phasilis), poor Diego was stung over 90% of his body. The venom was too much and we was found on the beach near death the next day. With the swelling came infection and Diego grew to enormous size. He was never able to control the swelling and thus manage his weight. I saw him on the beach a few years back while on the island attending a cigar convention. He is huge, I'd guess he's about five bills. Very sad.

Edited by Phil S

Lee lost at Cadet worlds the year previous.   He also lost at super 32 headed into high school.   Depending on what criteria the OP is looking for, Lee may or not be in the running for legitimately perfect

Lee lost at S32 at the beginning of his 8th grade year. He avenged the loss at S32 to begin his freshman year.

I think Teyon Ware was undefeated all four years of high school. His only loss was in freedtyle to Todd McNeely his senior yearbin freestyle at Fargo. He won the two previous years. Don't know what he did as a Cadet. Kenny Monday was tied by Mike Sheets his senior yesr in a dual meet, which was the only blemish on his high school record.

I thought Harry Lester and Ware met in the 2000 junior duals  final between Ohio and Oklahoma, with Lester winning. I might be wrong.

Taylor lost 2x in High School. once to Jamie Clark and maybe Ben sergent? maybe the other one that beat him. I cant remember

It was Ben Sergent.

Tom Milkovich remains the only undefeated Ohio wrestler in folkstyle and his record spanned only three years as freshmen were not eligible at his high school then. If he had been eligible he may not have won the starting spot for Maple Hts. that year.

Being undefeated in different eras is tricky.

Gable was undefeated in HS. But 9th graders weren't allowed to wrestle varsity. Plus there was no Fargo, Ironman, BOE, or big out of state tournaments that he went to as far as I know. He finished something like 64-0 in HS, but all in state competition.

Not to diminish that, and I'm a big fan of Gable's, but to compare that to the modern era, where the best guy from CA will be in a tournament facing the best in PA, OH, IA, OK or any other state, and wrestling over 200 matches over 4 years.... it's apples and oranges.

Being undefeated in different eras is tricky.

Gable was undefeated in HS. But 9th graders weren't allowed to wrestle varsity. Plus there was no Fargo, Ironman, BOE, or big out of state tournaments that he went to as far as I know. He finished something like 64-0 in HS, but all in state competition.

Not to diminish that, and I'm a big fan of Gable's, but to compare that to the modern era, where the best guy from CA will be in a tournament facing the best in PA, OH, IA, OK or any other state, and wrestling over 200 matches over 4 years.... it's apples and oranges.

Rosie,

this is a very good post.   I wish rather than cruise around looking to correct people and call others names, you would focus on quality posts.   You'd be much more likable.   Imagine that, Rosie 

Rosie,

this is a very good post.   I wish rather than cruise around looking to correct people and call others names, you would focus on quality posts.   You'd be much more likable.   Imagine that, Rosie 

Nice to see you making a more civil post, cletus=suzie.

Those other posts you had, talking about tight t-shirts, Justin Bieber, wanting to send Xmas cards to other posters and erections.... that was just about hitting a 10 on the creepiness scale... getting into "suzie" territory.

Nice to see you take a step back.  It must be hard, but try to keep it up.

^^Mike Johnson was a 4X PIAA champ for Lock Haven High School, winning titles in 1958 at 95 pounds, 1959 at 103, 1960 at 112 and 1961 at 120 pounds.  He finished his high school career 84-0 and WAS NEVER TAKEN DOWN IN HIGH SCHOOL.

The first name people bring up is Cary Kolat. However, recently I saw his Dapper Dan match and although it officially ended in a draw, everyone knows he really lost. Regardless, the draw makes his record not perfect.

Then we have Scott Winston, who did win every match but missed the last half of his freshman year because of injury. In my mind, this doesn't count.

I've heard through folklure that Dan Gable was undefeated in high school. If this is true, is he the only guy that has reached perfection during high school.

Nick Suriano is pretty darn close with 3 Beast of the East titles. He did lose to Spencer Lee, but that was not a high school match.

I'm pretty sure it was Bono that he wrestled at Dapper Dan that year then Bono beat him years later at the World Team Trials.  

Yes, it was definitely a controversial "draw" in the Kolat/Bono 1992 Dapper Dan match.  Kolat was apparently pretty upset with his performance...the aftermath resulted in him bumping up a weight (to 140) a week or two later at the NHSCA Senior Nationals, to seek some retribution on Bono. Here are the results:

1st: Cary Kolat PA
2nd: Roger Chandler OH
3rd: Chris Bono FL
4th: Kyle Porter CA
5th: Mark Petras PA
6th: Jason Hartman OH
7th: Ryan Edmundson IN
8th: Craig Wise OH

Like TrollPipe, I also immediately thought of Mike Johnson.  Something he forgot to mention about Johnson...  he won his four titles when PA was still had a single division state championship. 

At that time, you had to win each tournament (sectional, district, regional) to proceed to the state tournament.  2nd place was not good enough to advance.