Sign in to follow this  
caroten158

Is it just Taylor, or do American wrestlers have trouble scoring takedowns when opponents tripod?

Just watched Taylor get teched by World Champion Dennis Tsargush at the Yasar Dogu.  Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Americans have a hard time finishing takedowns when there behind and the opponent hangs/scrambles in a tripod position.

Under high school/NCAA rules a takedown would be awarded when the hands hit the mat.  In International styles one has to break their opponent to a knee for the referee to award two points.

Is this a position that Americans are weak in because they don't have to practice it in folkstyle?

What are your thoughts?

There were live feeds buried in these forums here as well as Flo.

As far as Taylor, (only saw the second period against Tsargush) I don't know, sort of surprised, not sort of surprised. Was definitely anticipating a higher place, but then again, it was 2 different World champs. If anything else, DT got a bracket full of tough international competition today.

The Champ is the favorite come Trials, but 74 is still gonna be fun with DT, KD (hope Dake's 100% by then), Howe and now Dierenger in the field.

I like all above mentioned wrestlers, but I would love to see JB beat Tsargush in the finals and get his belt back.

In his last repechage Reader got 2 TDs when his opponent tripoded.  In both cases he went to his left side and pushed his right leg into the back of his opponent's left knee.  Made it look easy

Edited by Gantry

A key to breaking down the tripod is challenging the low gut wrench, which is not a strength of many Americans. Mind you Tsargush us freakishly hard to score on from anywhere.

I agree with this; we struggle with par-terre offense and this is a natural repercussion of that deficit.