Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Taylor

Can he adjust?  It's clear that his uber aggressive style, without great defense to back it up, is an issue agaisnt guys like JB, Tsargush and a healthy Dake.

In the recent documentary that FLO did on him, he stated that when he came to collge, he made a decision to try to score points in every second of every match.  This is great from a fan/entertinament perspective but may not be the best strategy to win a World medal.  He had JB beat at the US Open but lost b/c he tried to alter his style in last 20 secs of bout and wrestle defensively and JB tore him up. 

Likewise, at Dogu, most of the scoring he gave up where on counters to his aggressive attacks.

Seems to me that he needs to get his defensive wrestling up to at least 75% of what is offensive wrestling is to have a legit shot at beating the top guys.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Yeah, looked like Tsargush out-slicked him again. We'll see what happens, but still not writing the Magicman off yet. Is he the favorite? No, but he's still very dangerous no matter who is opponent is.

Tayor's problem is that he is a very good wrestler, but not yet elite for senior world freestyle purposes. I don't think his issue has anything to do with offense versus defense. He just isn't quite at the level of the top guys.

More specifically, one of his big problems is that he has one great move, the ankle pick. If he doesn't hit that, he has a lot of trouble finishing against the top guys. He also has no par terre skills to speak of. He's obviously a great scrambler, but Tsargush (and Dake, for that matter) are just better. He's obviously pretty big and very long for the weight, but what he has in reach, he gives up in power to the other guys (JB, Dake, Howe, etc.), the best of whom outhorse him.

He could take out any American on any given day, but until he stops relying so much on the ankle pick, which is easy to scout by now, he is going to have trouble reaching his gold medal aspirations.

I actually think he'd do better up a weight by bulking up, personally. Guys are slower there and he could use more power/strength, even if others were bigger up a weight.

Taylor looked enormous compared to Tsargush. also looked less comfortable with the exposure rules. Trasgush is fearlessly countering and climbing all over Taylor and Taylor just seems either slow or hesitant. 

Taylor is a superb athlete though, im hoping he finds a freestyle groove. he's a fun wrestler to watch. 

I thought fila or uww or whatever the hell they want to call themselves was getting rid of the jacket and ties.

This tournament didn't even have the new mat, which is being in a lot of major tournaments now. It will probably take a while for the new rules to take effect to the point that every tournament in every country is using the new mat/uniform/whatever. But I was watching some videos of the very recent under-23 European championships. They had the blue mats but refs were still wearing the jackets and ties, so maybe the scrapped that idea or haven't come up with a uniform for the officials yet. 

Edited by Shiraz123

The officials look like complete tools.

Yep. And the video literally looks like CCTV footage. The names and countries on the scoreboard are also unreadable, you can only see the numbers. It's 2015, sad that it's still like this. 

Why can't he take down and outscramble Tsargush?  Taylor has had superior coaching, conditioning, and skill than Tsargush.  Taylor is undisputedly the best scrambler in the world..even Burroughs doesn't want to scramble with him.

So what gives against Tsargush?  He gets to Tsargush's legs at will, the toughest part.  Why can't he finish?  Nerves?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think Taylor is definitely within striking distance of the elite. Besides the tech losses to the two Russian World champs, DT demolished the rest of the bracket, including Iran. When he won Bronze at University World's last year, he torched that field too, of course, except for the tech loss to Tsargush there as well. So yes, it appears that he has a mountain to climb before he beats a Tsargush, but look how close he came to beating JB. Every match is different.

Hypothetical, but if DT wrestled Tsargush ten different times, I doubt Tsargush beats him every time. (Yeah, I know, Tsargush is 2-0 so far with two techs.)

Again, perhaps my scouting report is off, and I do agree that DT is going to have his hands full at the Trials, as I have JB as the American favorite. But we'll see........

Hypothetical, but if DT wrestled Tsargush ten different times, I doubt Tsargush beats him every time. (Yeah, I know, Tsargush is 2-0 so far with two techs.)

I actually think he'd win 10 out of 10. I am not trolling either.

Against JB, I could see DT taking as many as 3 of 10, though. But I think Tsargush is a particularly bad matchup for DT. His defense is tailormade for ankle picks and singles (but is vulnerable to blast doubles), he is arguably the world's best scrambler, and he is way ahead in par terre.

So what gives against Tsargush?  He gets to Tsargush's legs at will, the toughest part.  Why can't he finish?  Nerves?

Two things. He shouldn't be tying up with world class strength. He doesn't get to legs at will as a result.

Once he is in on the leg, he seems to get coiled up a little. He looks too long for the weight class. He should have went up to 84k (or whatever it is these days), a long time ago. This is exactly where he hasn't had the best coaching, in fact. Because of this coaching, Ruth is looking at MMA and we have no one in line for that weight class as a result.

Not sure why you say Taylor has received superior coaching compared to Tsargush. 

The Russians don't face the battle and rigor that it takes to win an NCAA Championship multiple times.  The scrambling ability Taylor has shown should be second to none, one would think...to those who have only trained freestyle.

Two things. He shouldn't be tying up with world class strength. He doesn't get to legs at will as a result.

Once he is in on the leg, he seems to get coiled up a little. He looks too long for the weight class. He should have went up to 84k (or whatever it is these days), a long time ago. This is exactly where he hasn't had the best coaching, in fact. Because of this coaching, Ruth is looking at MMA and we have no one in line for that weight class as a result.

Agree that he doesn't seem as physically strong and shouldn't be tying up.

John Smith showed these guys can't stop the low single though - and Taylor is much faster and a superior athlete to Tsargush.  You'd think he would try that strategy.

just watched the match. looked like a coach wrestling with his athlete. hang around and do nothing until you have to. score when you feel like it or get forced to because your not gonna let your student get points on you.

two different classes of wrestlers. taylor is not wrestling the type of athlete whose best accomplishment is a medal at ncaas.

The first scramble looked like no one scored to me, and Tsargush was awarded 2.

I think that took the wind out of Taylor's sails for a moment - he was taken down very easily off his own ankle pick, then turned twice, and was down 8-0 very quickly.  He didn't come back at that point, but Tsargush didn't open the match up on him either.  His scrambling is not quite to Tsargush's level yet, but it's not terrible either.

My guess is that when he goes back to look at this match he will think that he's not that far behind Tsargush.  Another guess -- a lot of the game for Taylor at this point is maintaining his composure, and not getting caught up in the score.

taylor took a folkstyle shortcut to try to win the far ankle scramble and paid for it. in his prior match with tsargush he ended up lacing the near leg into a mercle type position, which is a death sentence against Russians. he needs to gain more international experience and figure out these scrambles with foreign reactions. he isn't that far off, if he can stop the exposure points in par terre. you can't expect to compete with the highest level giving up two exposures.