Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Taylor

Just on the off chance that someone buys what Braunn is saying just remember that for all it's awesomeness the NCAAs are actually an age class national championship for ONE country. Would you expect a 3x world champ to be quaking in his books over a 2x Georgian college champion? This is no different.

hasn't this Braun clown been banned on here? and this appears to be his resurrection, only a matter of time until the MOD catches on to this dope again. Don't take the bait fellas.

I'm actually looking to generate good pertinent discussion here.

Our athletes are unquestionably the best trained in the world. Look at Metcalf for example.

No other country has a university athletic system that we do that has the demands of NCAA's...7 minute matches, riding time, etc.

So where are we going wrong when guys like Taylor aren't able to outscramble Tsargush, despite a style of wrestling (folkstyle) that puts a premium on this?

Edited by BraunMann

Just on the off chance that someone buys what Braunn is saying just remember that for all it's awesomeness the NCAAs are actually an age class national championship for ONE country. Would you expect a 3x world champ to be quaking in his books over a 2x Georgian college champion? This is no different.

Georgia doesn't have anything comparable to NCAAs

Relative to the Russions/Iranians/etc, we are are hurt by the following:

1. Our wrestlers spend the large marjority of the time in their college years, which are arguably the most important years, wrestling Folk.  If the NCAA switched to FS, we would eventually see improved results Internationally.

2. Our athletes have umpteen different sports to choose from.  These other countries do not have as many options.

3. Wrestling is not the premiere sport in the USA, nor is it a money sport.  Basketball, Football and Baseball are and always will be more popular and more lucrative.

Having said all that, the size of our population, advanced training and the money we have available should be enough to overcome 2 & 3.  But #1 has to change if we expect to see different results at the International level.

Edited by Angry_Fish

1. Our wrestlers spend the large marjority of the time in their college years, which are arguably the most important years, wrestling Folk.  If the NCAA switched to FS, we would eventually see improved results Internationally.

2. Our athletes have umpteen different sports to choose from.  These other countries do not have as many options.

3. Wrestling is not the premiere sport in the USA, nor is is a money sport.  Basketball, Football and Baseball are and always will be more populare and more lucrative.

Having said all that, the size of our population, advance training and the money we have available should be enough to overcome 2&3.  But #1 has to change if we expect to see different results at the International level.

I can see your points here.  

When Burroughs beat Tsargush using the blast doubles - I don't know if there was any defense possible...he was just that much more athletic and timed it just perfectly.

I really thought Taylor was our best scrambler at 74 KG, and the situations he was in against Tsargush would always favor him...had never seen him get out funked like that.

I'm actually looking to generate good pertinent discussion here.

Our athletes are unquestionably the best trained in the world. Look at Metcalf for example.

No other country has a university athletic system that we do that has the demands of NCAA's...7 minute matches, riding time, etc.

So where are we going wrong when guys like Taylor aren't able to outscramble Tsargush, despite a style of wrestling (folkstyle) that puts a premium on this?

there's no explanation. america's athletes can't be beaten. what youre seeing on youtube is an illusion. 

Would be cool to see Dagestan/Osetia/Krasnoyarsk, etc send their best 19 year old for one entry in each weight class at NCAAs each year. Wonder how they'd do?

Edited by 2td3nf

3. Wrestling is not the premiere sport in the USA, nor is it a money sport.  Basketball, Football and Baseball are and always will be more popular and more lucrative.

Having said all that, the size of our population, advanced training and the money we have available should be enough to overcome 2 & 3.  But #1 has to change if we expect to see different results at the International level.

The quality of wrestling in the USA has been improving.   I don't believe we need to change a thing, the ultra elite will continue to train in the international styles during the off season and our depth figures to continue to increase.   Look at 74 kg, all the talent there currently with others stepping into the mix (Derringer).   We have junior medalists soon to be making noise on the senior level (Pico) and their peers follow their lead. (Manville).   

I believe the key for USA wrestling to improve is the rivalries and competitiveness in HS wrestling will fuel the youth movement to start early, get the best coaching, and get international exposure early (Pico, Olivas, Lee, Snider).  

My only concern is will USA wrestling at the senior level keep it going?  I loved what Zeke Jones did and the regional training centers.   He seemed to energize the sport and his organization appeared to be top notch.   

Scrambling in Freestyle is way different from folkstyle. You need to be much more aware of giving up exposure. That shuts down much of our scrambling. DT needs to finish clean and avoid scrambles not rely on them. His style of finishing from his knees and shooting to his opponent and pulling them in needs to be replaced with penetration and drive through finishes.

Going back to the questions about scrambling, it's tough to judge how close DT really was. Tsargush is exceptionally confident and virtually impossible to score on in those situations. B Satiev couldn't do it in the 2007 Russian nationals (check out 6:00 among others).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUrtauim468

JB beat Tsargush with one weapon, his double leg. It's hard to imagine DT ever consistently finishing using the arsenal he's got. I'm not saying he can't beat him, he just needs to figure out a new plan.

GNQ, thanks for posting. Actually, first time I saw that match.

Man oh man, that was hard to watch. DT gets in on several nice picks and shots, and comes no where even close to scoring. Looked like Tsabolov just out-powered DT to get out of those holds. Could be wrong, and perhaps Tsabolov is just that good, but it also looked like DT showed no intensity/urgency once he was in on those moves. Can't wait around on these World class Russians, as we've seen this too many times before.

Oh yeah, and USA gets burned by Russia with yet another fireman's carry. Want to see some of our guys hit the fireman for 4.

Again, not bashing DT. I'm a huge fan of the Magicman. 

Tsabelov is awesome. Huge fan. Loved that firemans throw.

I'm not very knowledgable about low shots but it looks like Taylor isn't controlling Tsabelovs posture enough. He needs to with pin Tsabelovs leg to the ground and work behind him, or come right back to his feet with the leg. Tsabelov has too much time and space to scramble around.