Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Ed Ruth

Couple things....

He announced last night....

1.)

Edward Lee Ruth ‏@EdwardLeeRuth

Proud to announce I have signed with Zinkin entertainment @ZinkinEnt , the start of a great relationship with great people

2.)

Gavin looked tough at Dogu.  Ed will have his hands full with him this year at The US Open and WTT.  Foster and Reader will be no push overs either.

3) Ed did not compete at any of the International events in Jan - Mar, but did commit to be in LA for the World Cup.  Interested to see how he looks against the interntaional guys.  I worry about his progress given his interest in MMA.

I still think he makes the team this year and next, but am a little concerned.  Hope I am wrong. 

Not sure he will tune his style enough to ever medal at Worlds/olympics, but his style is so fun to watch.  WIll miss him when he leaves the sport after Rio

So he has under 500 days left as a wrestler. Sucks for American wrestling fans. Ruth is like 24/25? His weight is stacked but he had time to improve. I doubt he'd have ever become a world/olympic champ even if he wasn't going into MMA, but he probably would have been a guy who could somewhat consistently bring back medals, which the USA team really needs. Now he has two tournaments left to do so. And I also agree with MMA maybe being a problem on his wrestling progress. From everything I seen he's really excited to go into MMA and eventually the UFC. If his heart isn't in wrestling then that's a problem. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Also, don't count out the younger guys coming up the ranks. Perry is still adjusting to a large jump in weight and is always dangerous. Then there is Gabe Dean who still has two years of college left but is already making his presence known in freestyle with a Junior world bronze (not exactly the same as a senior medal but it shows potential given how relatively new Dean is to the freestyle scene).

Couldn't disagree more.  Ed Ruth has the physicality, range, quickness, and work ethic to be successful at the highest level.  Don't mistake his kindness for weakness.  The dude only lost 3 times in his college career.  You don't do that on athleticism alone.

I have watched Ed Ruth enough to know his strengths and weaknesses very well. You can have a laid back personality and still be highly successful in college wrestling but in MMA, at it's highest level, that will be exposed as a weakness.  I think he's making a mistake turning his back on international wrestling for fighting. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I don't care for mma or boxing anyway, but it is too bad that mma poaches our best talent. I wish mma was just grappling with submissions without the striking or kicking. That said, good for him finding a way to make a living. If he doesn't want to wrestle internationally someone will replace him. We always seem to have some upstart to shake things up.

I have watched Ed Ruth enough to know his strengths and weaknesses very well. You can have a laid back personality and still be highly successful in wrestling but in MMA, at it's highest level, that will be exposed as a weakness.  I think he's making a mistake turning his back on international wrestling for fighting. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Jon Jones seems to have the same kind of 'turn it on when I need to' mentality as Ed Ruth and he seems to be doing OK for himself on the MMA scene.

I have watched Ed Ruth enough to know his strengths and weaknesses very well. You can have a laid back personality and still be highly successful in wrestling but in MMA, at it's highest level, that will be exposed as a weakness.  I think he's making a mistake turning his back on international wrestling for fighting. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

MMA is a professional sport, not a toughman competition.  Ed Ruth will be coached by some of the best minds in the business to have a strategy for each fight, which are months apart.  He's not mentally weak and he's not lazy (a common misconception).  Unless you're saying he's not intelligent enough to follow a game plan in a fight, odds are he'll be a damn good fighter. 

We can never tell how good someone's chin is. It's genetic. You can't train your chin, and there is absolutely no way of knowing who's chin is made of rock or glass until you see them get tagged by a professional fighter.

If, and this is a big if, Ruth can take a punch, I see him doing very well.

You can have a laid back personality and still be highly successful in wrestling but in MMA, at it's highest level, that will be exposed as a weakness. 

nominating this for the end of the year awards. it has to be in the running.

Go ahead and nominate it and then we can revisit this thread when I'm proven right. You guys are unbelievable, as many are aware, I am a huge Ed Ruth fan, that's no secret, yet you guys act like I'm trolling and worse, creating straw augments by trying to attribute comments like lazy and unintelligent to my posts when that clearly wasn't what I said, or implied. Get this, I don't think David Taylor would do well in MMA either, does that mean I am calling him lazy and stupid. Get real.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I have watched Ed Ruth enough to know his strengths and weaknesses very well. You can have a laid back personality and still be highly successful in wrestling but in MMA, at it's highest level, that will be exposed as a weakness. I think he's making a mistake turning his back on international wrestling for fighting. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

#science

What laid back guys need to remember in mma is that looking good IS doing good. Guys like Hendricks (and Machida, and Macdonald) have lost fights they probably should have won due to taking "time off".

That said Ruth is a pretty offensive wrestler against good opposition. Assuming he can take a punch he should do really well. Will he be UFC champ? Who knows. Much like a world wrestling champion there are so many unknowns factors that go into it.

looked like a dislocated shoulder last night? after tremendous performance v Cuba, came out a little tentative i think..didn't look so great v Russia, couldn't fight off his back after the injury. he could have came back w out the shoulder.