Sign in to follow this  
figure4

Jason Bryant

Parry comes off from this interview looking clueless.   A couple of things that stood out:

-He dropped the program based off of "national trends" and no hard data that suggest it will apply in Ohio.

- He hopes to attract students from the "outer Cleveland ring."  What does that mean?  That's the type of statement that you can really use to fire up the local community/politicians.  There are strong racial and class undertones in that statement.  What is wrong with the students from the local area...the ones the university is meant to support?   

-The reason he says he is forcing wrestling to find funding but not lacrosse despite wrestling being established is because he feels it has a better chance of fundraising because there are alumni/a strong local community....Quite backwards logic there! Hmmm...We have a strong alumni base, so lets try to alienate them and force them to cough up money so that he can add a sport where there is no need.  

JB did a great job getting this guy to go on record before he really had time to formulate a logical strategy/thought process.  He essentially admitted that the decision was whimsical and not thought out.  

This AD is in over his head and needs to be fired ASAP.  

PAFAN01,

Although I understand your argument, It's a bit much putting the AD of a State School like CSU into the heavily criticized "1%" category.  I would be willing to bet there are quite a few DI wrestling coaches, let alone revenue sports coaches, that make more money than he does. 

Also, I don't think CSU adding Lacrosse is going to make any Uber Rich people richer.........

I commend the AD for his willingness to take the interview, but he didn't provide to many responses that would really help his case. It's worth sending this interview with your e-mails to anyone who has a stake in the matter (board members, the school president, important alumni, etc.). Most of those people don't want to hear a long rant from wrestling fans about this, especially after the first several come in. But just asking them kindly to take the time to listen to the AD own word on the topic would do a lot to show them his skewed logic in this decision.

Edited by MadMardigain

first, great interview by Jason. second, pretty weak responses from this Parry guy. he's the supposed expert but i'm having a real tough time buying into his lacrosse strategy. and i like lacrosse. 

the whole athletic department sounds sorry, to be honest. men's and women's fencing? and sometimes they don't have enough participants to be NCAA eligible? thats pitiful. 

i think women's wrestling programs are the best defense for at risk programs. every school in the lower half of the tournament should start pitching a program to their AD and some of the best funded programs should take a leadership role in helping start them as well. that is the entity of my soap box pitch, not trying to threadjack.