Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

What match were you most excited for?

With Dake projected at 157, Taylor at 165, and Howe at 174, it looks like we're going to miss out on some great matches that could have been.

What are some of the matches you were most excited to see before the season began ... and actually got to see? Some of mine are:

1. Burroughs and pre-injury Howe at Midlands two years ago.

2. Taylor and Jenkins.

3. Metcalf and Caldwell.

4. Herbert and Varner.

5. Metcalf and pre-injury Schlatter in the Big 10 finals.

Whadda ya got? Especially you old timers?

There was no more hyped match in the last 10 years of college wrestling than Metcalf vs. Schlatter. It's honestly not even close. Taylor vs. Jenkins was a "blowout" in pre-match predictions for Taylor. Most people thought Metcalf would beat Caldwell handily going off their All Star match. The "anticipation" there seems to be hindsight.

I think HOwe vs. Burroughs is probably second.

There was no more hyped match in the last 10 years of college wrestling than Metcalf vs. Schlatter. It's honestly not even close. Taylor vs. Jenkins was a "blowout" in pre-match predictions for Taylor. Most people thought Metcalf would beat Caldwell handily going off their All Star match. The "anticipation" there seems to be hindsight.

I think HOwe vs. Burroughs is probably second.

The more I think about it, you're right about Caldwell and Jenkins. They weren't thought of as highly pre-season and I may be experiencing some revisionist memory.

In 2002 at the Central Missouri Open in the quarterfinals was a matchup between Zach Esposito and Teyon Ware. I was in my last year on the UCO team and matside for that. Great match! UCM Open and Also the Kaufmann Brand have had some doozies!

With Dake projected at 157, Taylor at 165, and Howe at 174, it looks like we're going to miss out on some great matches that could have been.

What are some of the matches you were most excited to see before the season began ... and actually got to see? Some of mine are:

1. Burroughs and pre-injury Howe at Midlands two years ago.

2. Taylor and Jenkins.

3. Metcalf and Caldwell.

4. Herbert and Varner.

Whadda ya got? Especially you old timers?

I think Herbert and Askren maybe more than Herbert and Varner

I actually am going with the All-Star Classic match between Metcalf and Caldwell. It happened one year to the day after Caldwell hit Metcalf with the Spladle, and ironically, within the same state. Unlike other people, I thought both wrestlers were up for that match, but in the words of the man sitting to my left on the Takedown Radio call that night, then-Ohio State assistant and current Army head coach Joe Heskett, "one of them was busy reading the internet forums, while the other was busy eating trees".

Am I wrong that this was actually post-injury Schlatter?

You are correct. He was injured and missed some time before the Big 10s that year. Not as bad as his senior year, but was not 100%.

Am I wrong that this was actually post-injury Schlatter?

You are correct. He was injured and missed some time before the Big 10s that year. Not as bad as his senior year, but was not 100%.

Basically everything past his sophomore year at NCAAs was "post-injury" Schlatter. He was never really the same. His match at Big 10s against Metcalf was good, but Schlatter didn't look like he was in shape for that match. It definitely ranks highly though as a match that was super hyped up.

Carl Adams vs. Stan Dziedzic - 158 lbs. - 1972 finals in College Park. Both defending champs w Dziedzic moving up in weight. Dziedzic a slight favorite based on his absolutely punishing people but Adams was lightning on his feet. Adams had three takedowns and was able to escape Dziedzic at the whistle. Final 7-3. Dziedzic ended up beating out Carl for the Olympic team I believe in '76. Two all-time greats.

If Schlatters injuries were such an issue I doubt he would have been able to beat a very physical Plamer AFTER Palmer pinned him the same season. Schlatters defense was superb , some people just figured out how to break it, and let's face it he never had a ton of offense ....the weightclass was brutal .

Owing and Gable.

UW wrestling was big back then ... They had some really good teams back in the day. Read about it, finally got to see it on TV and then watched it about 50 times at a wrestling camp. The coaches there, dissected it, analyzed it, and used it to pump us up.

After that, a buddy of mine Tom Brown did pretty well at the NCAA's for UW in the mid 70's.

Most recent: Caldwell and Metcalf. Loved the spladle match and the NCAA finals match.

Personally ... My Arch Enemy, in HS and College ... We went at it for several years. Ended up something like 6 for him, and 4 for me ... We got sick of each other.

I think Tom Brown lost to Lee Kemp. That was Kemp's first of three, with the other two coming at the expense of Kelly Ward, who might well have been a 3xer himself if he wasn't at the wrong weight at the wrong time.

I saw Schultz vs Banach....Banach was a lot better of a wrestler than he showed that night.

Lewboo vs Burley NCAA final---two returning champs, but Lewis had already stuck Burley in the All Star meet with a punishing power half. Great to see Lewis convert a single leg snatch with head tip finish, not to mention the lace leg throw.

Lewis vs Johnnie Selmon Great Plains finals were pretty cool too. Those kids could go!

Gonzales vs Mills NCAA final was huge, I think they were about 95-1 between them going into the match. Non-stop action the whole match, finally Mills pulling it out after trailing with a reversal and back points in the end.

You have to put Caldwell vs Metcalf up there, in spite of the All Star result, given Caldwell's near perfect season- so many pins, and Metcalf's dominance. Caldwell just decided, didn't he?

Taylor vs Dake Olympic freestyle....WAS JUST HUGE, and didn't disappoint the fans. Well, maybe the PSU faithful.

Ed Banach vs Mike Mann, dual meet and Northern Open finals....GREAT matchup! Mann undoubtedly one of the best to be denied an NCAA title.

I think that Kendall Cross vs Terry Brands was a great matchup too.

WrestlingShouldBeOutlawed.jpgBig Ten Final, Palmer vs Metcalf, Freddy Ambrose reffing.

You put Metcalf on the bottom? Aw, you're just going to rile up Iowa fans.

It was the Big 10 Final he referenced, so Metcalf WOULD be on bottom. What was it Nate Gallick said about blind squirrels?;)

Konrad & Mocco when Cole was a junior, especially after coming so close in the finals as a sophomore, I was excited to see what strides he'd made to beat the big pumpkin and the first match they had that year (Cole's junior year) was at the Ntl. Duals when Cole decked him. Good stuff!!