Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Overhauled College Rule Thought

Stuck at work with nothing to do, so I thought I'd throw some some of my ideas out to increase offense/improve the current lack of aggression so many other people have complained about. Tell me what you think...

Mat: same size as freestyle mat with equivalent "danger zone" - to be an opaque color. 

Matches: regulation consists of two (3) minute periods, both started in the neutral position. If the score is tied at the end of these periods then an unlimited OT period will begin - first to score is the winner. The mat size is shrunk to the center primary mat only, so the normal "danger zone" is considered out of bounds.

Scoring:

Neutral

Takedown, same rules as NCAA currently holds - 2 points

Takedown, feet to back - 3 points

Mat

Escape - 1 point

Reversal - 2 points

Nearfall (2-4 second count) - 2 points

Nearfall (5 seconds or longer) - 3 points

Penalties

"Push outs" earn a passivity call (new name for stalling) - passivity is warned on the first offense and is penalized with a point for each additional call after that. If a wrestler is not aggressive enough per the officials discretion then passivity can be called against them.

Clasping, full nelsons, illegal holds, etc. are all still illegal, and penalized by one point per offense.

I think 6 minutes is long enough for a match (barring OT) to be decided. The added point on feet to back TD's is there to encourage bigger moves/upper body throws. This essentially allows big throws to be worth 6 points, up from 5. Push outs are included in a way that I think will keep wrestlers in bounds but not penalize them too severely at the same time. Penalties in D1 never really hit the 2 point mark anyways, and if they do I think refs are a little more hesitant to make the call. That takes that mentality out of the picture. What do you think? Good, awful, indifferent?

Takes too much of the mat wrestling out. A sub par neutral wrestler still has an option to take top. Changing the mat sounds like ok start but may be cost prohibitive. Feet to back for 3 sounds good. I would like to see some sort of exposure rule. People are being put on their back but no control is established so the person forcing an exposure isn't awarded. As for push outs, everyone knows how I feel about them!

Edited by oldrules

6 minutes is an interesting idea. I have often thought that guys take their foot off the pedal a bit to make sure they don't gas.  I know I did in college. However, I also always thought that this would be an unpopular suggestion as many wrestle to "break" their opponents.  

Would six minutes instead of seven make guys more offensive?  I am interested to hear other opinions on this.   

6 minute matches would eliminate the endless conditioning and allow us to focus more on technique. I'm not sure the "embrace the grind" folks would like that though. I would even be in favor of a 30 second break in between periods.

Takes too much of the mat wrestling out. A sub par neutral wrestler still has an option to take top. Changing the mat sounds like ok start but may be cost prohibitive. Feet to back for 3 sounds good. I would like to see some sort of exposure rule. People are being put on their back but no control is established so the person forcing an exposure isn't awarded. As for push outs, everyone knows how I feel about them!

I like that a TD must occur to get the opportunity to ride someone and work for a turn - I don't think you should get a position of control by choice in a match, but that's just a personal opinion. I agree on the exposure point, but I also like the scrambling aspect of folkstyle which gets lost a bit when we go to freestyle. I think the feet to back rule will help with this, as it keeps wrestlers from trying to stall out in a scramble where they end up on their neck or head (going over the top on a single leg for instance and locking around the waist) as they could give up a bonus point if they yield control after the scramble (this can also help push the action along to an extent)

Mat wrestling is an essential part of our folkstyle. I like tue vintage rule where the coin toss determined whether you were top or bottom first and then third period if it got that far you switched. The flip side of having to earn a position of control is that you better be able to get out.