wrestlingnerd

Pico is not making the 2016 Olympic team

I thought Kemp was in the middle of grad studies in 84, and came out of retirement or semi-retirement to go to OTTs.

Well, it's true that in 1983 he didn't wrestle, so maybe you are right ... but this article "Kemp wrestles with life after losing at olympic trials" written nine days after he lost to Schultz doesn't make it seem like that was the main reason:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19840702&id=Gm4aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ECoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1582,1737057&hl=en

Edited by BigTimeFan

Gomez is a world silver medalist.   Just because Metcalf can't do it doesn't mean others who have lost to Metcalf can't either.  The logic just isn't sound.  

Metcalf has his own issues and although I would love to see him win any color medal at worlds, he's running out of time.   He is far too one dimensional, he gets exposed far too often, and he isn't likely to make it out of the trials.   .

Oliver was really done in by the weight change.   He was right there knocking at the door but he just does not seem capable of cutting the additional weight.   This will be a 2 horse race and the young horse has made tremendous ground in the past year.   He's only a high school kid.   His ceiling is very high yet.      

Our guys always do well at exhibitions and Beat the Streets and the World Cup. But then when worlds roll around, we struggle. It happens every year.

So whether someone lost to Metcalf when it doesn't count means nothing to me. What I care about is what Metcalf did when it counts. That's the level he's at. And he hasn't ever won a match at worlds. And Pico lost to him. That's where Pico is at. 

But like I said a million times, Pico is still a kid and he could potentially improve a lot. Time will tell. 

Yeah, Metcalf tech fall Lee, Korea 11-0 in first round of 2014 Worlds, where Brent got a big cut on his forehead. Then he lost Turkey's Kaya 6-4 with a bandaged forehead, and a flat tire to boot, no pun intended. That match was painful to watch, pun intended.

If Metcalf is on all cylinders, sure hope he could beat Kaya next time.

All that said, definitely not writing off PIco, Steiber, or Oliver (if he cuts to 65)  to be the 2015 or 2016 guy. Gotta have Brent as the favorite so far, but again, we shall see.......... 

Yeah, Metcalf tech fall Lee, Korea 11-0 in first round of 2014 Worlds, where Brent got a big cut on his forehead. Then he lost Turkey's Kaya 6-4 with a bandaged forehead, and a flat tire to boot, no pun intended. That match was painful to watch, pun intended.

If Metcalf is on all cylinders, sure hope he could beat Kaya next time.

All that said, definitely not writing off PIco, Steiber, or Oliver (if he cuts to 65)  to be the 2015 or 2016 guy. Gotta have Brent as the favorite so far, but again, we shall see.......... 

I will be very interested to see how Pico fares against Steiber and especially Oliver. I give Metcalf the edge over all of them for now, but obviously 2016 Olympics is a ways off and things could change by then.

I just have to chuckle at idiotic posts like this one by cletus = suzie.

The "I love Brent" schtick followed by a series of insults.... very suzie-esqe.

As far as Pico being "handcuffed by the ref" LOL! ... I can imagine if Brent had been losing and started clubbing the opponent in the head after having been warned by the ref, the haters would be crying "thuggish behavior."

I*'m certainly not blown away, this is about what I expected and I've posted as much.   A slight edge to Metcalf in a tightly contested match and that's what we got, despite Pico not opening up and showing his offense, and basically being handcuffed by the referee as well.   

I love Brent metcalf.   Yes he was difficult to like during college with his thug behavior and classless antics (nearly shoving the NCAA champion off the elevated mat after getting smashed in the final) but he has changed.   And he has paid his dues.   Now he stands to get knocked off the #1 ranking perch by a teenager.   There isn't an iceberg's chance in hell he holds Pico off till 2016, Pico is just so far ahead of the curve, it's not even fair.   But I would love to see Brent get more more shot at worlds and then the weight class belongs to Pico for as long as he wants it.   I want Brent to get that elusive world level medal and then if he walks away for good, so be it.    I'm just not sure Pico is going to cooperate.    Lets see what happens at the open.     It wouldn't surprise me if Pico torches him.   

Pico.  Not a fan.

What a joke and low class comment this is.  Wow, you are not a fan of Pico, an 18 year old Cadet World champ, Jr. World runner up... has beaten several Sr. World champs and class wrestlers, and has done more in Jr. High than you have ever done in your life. 

Gee.... I can see why Pico, or anyone else really cares if you are a "fan".  Best joke I have heard in a long time.  Tool.

I wish people would stop talking about Pico's age.  He could be a HS student, but he put himself on the big stage and he is doing very, very well there.  He is now a rival for big stakes with people that other fans have been following for many years and they want their guy to win.  He is one of the guys.  Get used to it. He talks trash, throws punches,  blah, blah, blah.  Go Metcalf.

leshismore,

You may have just officially reached the biggest "overreaction" status in this Illustrious Board's history!

Let me put it in perspective.

Bean sprouts.  Not a fan.        What a joke and low comment this is.  Wow you are not a fan of Bean Sprouts, a millennia old World vegetable staple.  Has more nutritional value than many World famous vegetables and has fed more people than you every will in your life.

Gee.......I can see why Bean Sprouts or any other vegetable really cares if you are a "fan.  Best joke I have heard in a long time.  Tool.

Our guys always do well at exhibitions and Beat the Streets and the World Cup. But then when worlds roll around, we struggle. It happens every year.

So whether someone lost to Metcalf when it doesn't count means nothing to me. What I care about is what Metcalf did when it counts. That's the level he's at. And he hasn't ever won a match at worlds. And Pico lost to him. That's where Pico is at. 

But like I said a million times, Pico is still a kid and he could potentially improve a lot. Time will tell. 

Pico also beat a returning world champion earlier in the year, so you can say that's where he's at.   He trounced Humpries who has won matches at world tournaments.   So perhaps that's where he's at.   

One thing we know for sure is as a high schooler, he already has a couple age group, world medals, including a championship and a win over a senior world champ.   Give him till he's 19, I have a feeling you are going to be shocked.   

I just have to chuckle at idiotic posts like this one by cletus = suzie.

The "I love Brent" schtick followed by a series of insults.... very suzie-esqe.

As far as Pico being "handcuffed by the ref" LOL! ... I can imagine if Brent had been losing and started clubbing the opponent in the head after having been warned by the ref, the haters would be crying "thuggish behavior."

Rosie,

you have to stop worrying about what the haters would be doing had Metcalf done this or that.  

Brent went out there and did what he had to do.   He had the toughest high schooler in the country on the opposite side of the mat and he took care of business.   And that's all you can ask from him.   Tackling guys out of bounds, talking smack, clubbing peoples heads, that's all par for the course so lets not wish for it if he doesn't actually go out ad do it.  It's comments like those that work against Metcalf getting the respect and recognition he deserves.   Did he bring it on himself?  Of course he did.   Is what's good for the goose also good for the gander?  Yes it is.   But Rosie lets be adults here and cut the guy a break.  Brent Metcalf has given everything he has to give to the sport of wrestling and if you can't respect that, I don't know what to tell you.   

I doubt he can hold Pico off till world team trials.  I just don't see him winning when Pico opens up.   But if he does, this will undoubtedly be his final shot at a world level medal.   As a fan of both guys, I am behind both of them and I hope the best guy takes it.   Next season is all but a foregone conclusion with a year under Pico's belt on the world level.   Do we have to tear either guy down ?  Can't we elevate one without sh!tting on the other?  That's what I don't understand about you so called fans.   

I'm on record right now.   It will either be Pico or Metcalf who wins the spot.   My heart hopes for Brent, my brain says Pico.   Lets just  support either or both Rosie, but leave the personal attacks and pot shots to yourself.   

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

What a joke and low class comment this is.  Wow, you are not a fan of Pico, an 18 year old Cadet World champ, Jr. World runner up... has beaten several Sr. World champs and class wrestlers, and has done more in Jr. High than you have ever done in your life. 

Gee.... I can see why Pico, or anyone else really cares if you are a "fan".  Best joke I have heard in a long time.  Tool.

Leshimore...not a fan....

Pico....flash in the pan

I think you guys are really underestimating how much better an 18 year old can get in a year.

Myself and my teammates, when we were that age improved A TON, and we were idiots.  This kid has a fully financed team just for him, and no responsibilities such as college or a job to hang him up. 

He might not make the team, but basing what he does in 2016 from a match right now is a bit short sighted IMO. 

Caldwell can lose to anyone when he is seriously injured. We all know his potential. As for Pico, I don't have the, "WOW, OMG" feel in him. I would get this feeling when I saw Burroughs hit a double leg takedown from junior year on. Pico is being hyped to the max, so it is quite possible that he is being overhyped.

He is being over hyped. His style will limit him. These power snap downs will not work against top level senior guys. Cael, Burroughs, John Smith, Dave and Mark Schultz made me go WOW. Pico does not do that for me. He will be good yes but I would say 50/50 on making the team in 2016 with no medal if he does. I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a Mark Shultz brawler type.But I don't think his style makes for a sharp learning curve improvement, sorry.  

My real thoughts on Pico....

1. He is obviously a phenom who MAY evolve into am international stud at 65, maybe even 74, as he grows.  I'm still not convinced the guy will stay at 65 after '16.

2. I don't think he YET has what it takes to beat Metcalf this year.  Actually, I don't think he can beat Oliver either (this year).  And I'd say he is no better than a coin toss against Kennedy, Russell and Stieber.  So I highly doubt he makes the team this year.

3. As for '16 -- it's possible he improves dramatically from this year to next, but I don't think it will happen,  All the other guys have their eyes/plans on '16 as well.  I don't think he passes them in 1 year’s time.  I think '17 is when we may start to see Pico take over the weight (assuming he stays at 65).  But even that is no guarantee.  I think Metcalf will be done after Rio but the other guys mentioned are all younger and will still be around and I don't see any of them laying down for Pico.  But I do see Pico right there with them (or maybe even higher than them) in '17.

4. Pico's whole entourage ("Team Pico") is a little tough to take.  It's not that big of a deal to me, but I can see it getting old fast.

5. I don't know what exactly was said between Metcalf and Pico and then end of the Agon bout but at this point, I think Pico should keep his mouth shut until he actually has some wins over the top American's (especially Metcalf).

My $0.02

Edited by Angry_Fish