wrestlingnerd

Pico is not making the 2016 Olympic team

Thanks Bucky, I wasn't sure if I had upset you.   

Lee looks to be a tremendous prospect.   I'll tell you who else is just absolutely nails, that Olivas kid from California

The junior team should be outstanding with hammers up and down the line up.  

Hall, the Valencias, the Blair kid, Lee, Olivas, and several others.  

I'm following the youth level now and there are quite a few super kids coming up, including from non traditional power states.   

I worry Jones leaving for ASU will hurt out senior guys and certainly hope that isn't the case.   USA is going to have some serious contenders if everything holds together at the top level.   

This si a very exciting time to be a fan bucky. 

He is being over hyped. His style will limit him. These power snap downs will not work against top level senior guys. Cael, Burroughs, John Smith, Dave and Mark Schultz made me go WOW. Pico does not do that for me. He will be good yes but I would say 50/50 on making the team in 2016 with no medal if he does. I hope he proves me wrong and turns out to be a Mark Shultz brawler type.But I don't think his style makes for a sharp learning curve improvement, sorry.  

Your comment shows just how good the kid is.   If we were to discuss any other high schooler and some one not sold on him gave him a 50/50 chance at making the Olympic team on the senior level, that would be HUGE.   

Think about it.   A coin flip if he makes it and he has not yet finished high school and has only been wrestling seniors a few months.   

At that rate. you'll likely be calling him a shoe in after this year.   

Try to think back to the last time you gave a high schooler a 50/50 shot at making the following years Olympic team.   I'm going to say , never.   

He is that good.   

My real thoughts on Pico....

1. He is obviously a phenom who MAY evolve into am international stud at 65, maybe even 74, as he grows.  I'm still not convinced the guy will stay at 65 after '16.

2. I don't think he YET has what it takes to beat Metcalf this year.  Actually, I don't think he can beat Oliver either (this year).  And I'd say he is no better than a coin toss against Kennedy, Russell and Stieber.  So I highly doubt he makes the team this year.

3. As for '16 -- it's possible he improves dramatically from this year to next, but I don't think it will happen,  All the other guys have their eyes/plans on '16 as well.  I don't think he passes them in 1 year’s time.  I think '17 is when we may start to see Pico take over the weight (assuming he stays at 65).  But even that is no guarantee.  I think Metcalf will be done after Rio but the other guys mentioned are all younger and will still be around and I don't see any of them laying down for Pico.  But I do see Pico right there with them (or maybe even higher than them) in '17.

4. Pico's whole entourage ("Team Pico") is a little tough to take.  It's not that big of a deal to me, but I can see it getting old fast.

5. I don't know what exactly was said between Metcalf and Pico and then end of the Agon bout but at this point, I think Pico should keep his mouth shut until he actually has some wins over the top American's (especially Metcalf).

My $0.02

Would world team member, Humphries be considered a "top American"?

Would world team member, Humphries be considered a "top American"?

Not sure, is top 7, considered "Top".  At 65KG, I'd rank them like this right now

1. Metcalf

2. Oliver

3. Kennedy

4. Pico

5. Russell

6. Stieber

7. Humphries

I guess we'll see over the next 2 months....Regardless, still too soon for Pico to be yapping, IMO.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Why so Angry....... Fish?  

Were you actually a "fish" in HS?  

Is that why you like to pick on an 18 year old kid?

Oh... BTW... how many world champs did your "man" BM beat before he was 18? 20? 25?

Do you think BM should have ever kept his "mouth shut"? He was always so mature in the past, wasn't he?

With your insecure, pathetic posts about a teenager you continue to show why you are upset that this teen has done more than you have ever done and ever will---and he did that when he was in Jr. high school.

Sorry that upsets you so much.

Maybe you should take the advice you gave to a teenager. Do you think you should take your own advice?  What was your great advice you were telling this teenager?

I guarantee that no human will ever be upset that the self-proclaimed "Fish" finally stopped picking on a teenager who has already beating several world champions and top Americans.

When Brent Metcalf was 18, he became one of Michigan's 145 pound state champions, and that's a great accomplishment. Metcalf was a very good and tough high school wrestler. Lots of great things were also in his future. He started for Iowa less than three years later, and won his first match at worlds nine years later. These are impressive accomplishments few of us get to achieve. 

Meanwhile, at 18 Pico is a cadet world champ, junior world silver medalist, a golden gloves winner, signed with Bellator, signed with Nike, and has a bunch of senior-level wins under his belt, including a win over a former senior world champion. So even if you compare Pico to the tough yardstick of Metcalf (who is one of our best wrestlers) you can see that he's done phenomenally well for an 18 year old. So it's perfectly logical for Pico to believe in himself. 

IMO Pico is a very classy and well-spoken young man. He reminds me of GSP in that way.

Edited by Katie

Pico should eventually own this weight.  But a lot can happen (injuries, growth, wieght class changes, another young wrestler suddenly improves dramtically, etc).  He's just not quite there yet, IMO, to win a (starting) spot on the US team.  Let's give the kid a chance.

He has incredible accomplishments for an American his age -- but that doesn't make him the best at this weight (currently) in the US,  It also doesn't make him the best ever at his age (especially if you include outher countries). 

Just need to keep things real for now.

And despite Leshidouche's posts, I am not anti-Pico nor pro BM.  In fact, at this weight, I am far bigger fan of JO than any of the others.  But that doesn't make JO better than BM.

"I am not anti-Pico"

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha 

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha 

Katie, Is that really a fair comparison? Metcalf didn't drop out of high school and focus on Freestyle at 16. IMO, there are several guys over the past 10 years who could of been where Pico is skill wise at or even better at 18.5 years old if they chose a similar path of turning their back on folk style in their teens. For starters, just imagine if Kyle Dake or Logan Stieber did the same? 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

"I am not anti-Pico"

I haven't seen any anti-Pico posts by Angry_Fish.  What gives with the hate?

Just for the record, Metcalf (probably 20 or 21 yrs old) beat Olympic gold medalist Cross in 2007 WTT's.

Why so Angry....... Fish?  

Were you actually a "fish" in HS?  

Is that why you like to pick on an 18 year old kid?

Oh... BTW... how many world champs did your "man" BM beat before he was 18? 20? 25?

Do you think BM should have ever kept his "mouth shut"? He was always so mature in the past, wasn't he?

With your insecure, pathetic posts about a teenager you continue to show why you are upset that this teen has done more than you have ever done and ever will---and he did that when he was in Jr. high school.

Sorry that upsets you so much.

Maybe you should take the advice you gave to a teenager. Do you think you should take your own advice?  What was your great advice you were telling this teenager?

I guarantee that no human will ever be upset that the self-proclaimed "Fish" finally stopped picking on a teenager who has already beating several world champions and top Americans.

I have truly enjoyed the ignore feature on this forum. It allows me to have thoughtful discussion with members that don't have an agenda or revert to childish comments to make up for their lack of content and character. 

My last comment on this current topic. Pico is a phenomenal wrestler. At 18, he is up there on potential when it comes to what he can accomplish on the international level. If he does beat out Metcalf, Steiber, and/or Oliver at the world team trials, I will be his biggest supporter. 

But from my view, I don't think he can beat either of those 3. Metcalf has more strength. Steiber has more technique. And Oliver is more slick. I think Logan has the best shot to upset Metcalf. Can't wait till the trials!

Katie, Is that really a fair comparison? Metcalf didn't drop out of high school and focus on Freestyle at 16. IMO, there are several guys over the past 10 years who could of been where Pico is skill wise at or even better at 18.5 years old if they chose a similar path of turning their back on folk style in their teens. For starters, just imagine if Kyle Dake or Logan Stieber did the same

Sports aren't fair. 

I could imagine what might have been if Burroughs had redshirted in college, or had redshirted in eighth grade, or had the opportunity to attend a high school with a better coaching and training system, or had been able to go to a school like Blair. But it just didn't turn out that way, so as a result people don't put Burroughs on their greatest college wrestlers lists (even though he won a world title straight of out of college which puts him in rare company).

Nothing is fair. 

Pico made the choice to focus on freestyle and MMA, and he's doing wonderfully. If someone is doing less wonderfully, it's not Pico's fault. The bro is a little GSP, what do you want?

Sports aren't fair. 

I could imagine what might have been if Burroughs had redshirted in college, or had redshirted in eighth grade, or had the opportunity to attend a high school with a better coaching and training system, or had been able to go to a school like Blair. But it just didn't turn out that way, so as a result people don't put Burroughs on their greatest college wrestlers lists (even though he won a world title straight of out of college which puts him in rare company).

Nothing is fair. 

Pico made the choice to focus on freestyle and MMA, and he's doing wonderfully. If someone is doing less wonderfully, it's not Pico's fault. The bro is a little GSP, what do you want?

Who doesn't put Burroughs on that list?  

I haven't seen any anti-Pico posts by Angry_Fish.  What gives with the hate?

I made a comment after Agon that I wasn't a fan of Pico's.  His little tantrrum after the bout with BM rubbed me a little wrong.  But I really don't have anything major against the guy.  His enterouge is a bit much, but no big deal.  I'm certainly not "anti" Pico.  I'm  not anti any of the contenders to make the team, just like some more than others -- like most of us do.  Personally, the three I root for the most are Ruth, Oliver and Taylor.  But that sure as hell doesn't mean I am anti Gavin, Metcalf and Burroughs.  I'll be 100% behind those guys if they end up starters on the team again.  Likewise, I would be 100% behind Pico in Sept in the unlikely event he were to make the team this year (as a starter).

Leshidouche is just in love with him (kind of creepy actaully). His affection more than makes up for my luke warm feelings about the kid.  So I am sure Aaron will be fine.

Edited by Angry_Fish

People.

Depends on how you define "greatest". He certainly is not the most "accomplished" -- which is one fair definition of great.  Another definition would be the wrestlers with the highest (consistent) skill level (regardless of titles).  In this case, I think guys like JB and Taylor would be mentioned more often than they currently are.  Another definition would be the wrestlers who reached the highest skill level at the peak of their college careers (although not necessarily as consistently high as some of the other "greats").  In this case, I think JB would be on most short lists.

Most people tend to use most "accomplished" as their definition and therefore jump right to the 4-Time champs + Gable. 

This is probably a better discussion for the college forum.  An interesting one for this forum might be Smith vs Baumgartner vs Burroughs in International competition.

Edited by Angry_Fish