Sign in to follow this  
dhun

Who had a better career Dake or Stieber?

"Whats annoying is that, generally, the wrestling community will credit DT as being the best PSU wrestler ever. When, obviously, that title belongs to Ruth."

For some reason, Taylor gets a lot of credit for losing to Dake. I know it's not popular to say, but much of Taylor's legacy is riding on Dake's coattails.

I didn't say he was dominated, although I do remember Stieber tired and beaten, with his head on the mat, after Retherford beat him. Imagine a HS senior beating a Jr. Kyle Dake. That would be the rough equivalent of the Retherford/Stieber situation.

I don't believe that Stieber's loss to Retherford deserves to be called "flukey" either.

Well Dake lost twice one year earlier to a kid from Binghamton and Bucknell. They were both overtime losses, but these two school are by no means tier 1 schools. Dake also lucked out his sophomore year with Caldwell getting injured. Pretty much no one thought Dake was going to win his sophomore year.

Yes, Dake lost as a true sophomore at age 19 (I believe). I don't believe that many would agree that's the same as being a RS Jr, that is Rs. Sr aged, losing to a true freshman that is almost 4 1/2 years younger than you.

I don't believe that Dake "lucked out". After watching Caldwell's conference tournament, I didn't believe that he was going to win the ncaas that year.

Since this is a college section of the forum, I think only college matches should be considered.  

I think both guys had ridiculously great careers and were both fun to watch, but I think Dake had the better career.  Moving up to challenge the second best wrestler in college wrestling and the face of the best program in the nation was epic.  

All four are outstanding, and all four have their unique distinctions:

Pat  won as a true freshman and probably would have gone through four straight years if it hadn't been for Oklahoma State's probation.  He was the first.  He was Hilliary and Bannister.

Cael was perfect throughout  his college career.  For those who count his loss to Jenn during his redshirt year, just deal with it.

Dake won as a true freshman and carried it through in four different weight classes, facing a great David Taylor in his last year.

Logan won the Big Ten Championship x 4- no small feat- and won Nationals x 4.  No one else has won those eight titles.

They're all legends of the sport, along with some familiar names from times past.  

It would be hard to confirm, but something I've often wondered is whether Dake holds the title for most collegiate wins over unique opponents. That to me was part of what is so impressive about him winning in 4 different weight classes. When you come back in the same weight class, a decent percentage of the guys in that weight class are going to have been there the year before. Dake kept moving up and facing almost entirely new slates of opponents each year.

Here are there careers (This will in fact show I have no life, actually this stuff is a little interesting):

Stieber is 24 and one month older than Dake. I'm suspecting he was "held back" in his youth, then the red shirt his Freshman year, which he gets a bad rap for IMO. He was way farther up the chain in Freestyle than Dake and had a serious shot at the US national team that year. Stieber would redshirt that freshman year, but that summer he was Junior World runner-up to the Olympic Gold Medalist Asgharov in a tight match, losing in the finals 1-1; 4-6.  But more to the freestyle results later, I just want people to understand, Logan was among the best in the world that year he got hurt. He must have been pretty hurt during those freshman losses in Las Vegas. 

Stieber Middle School: 2x Ohio state champ       Dake Middle School: I don't know

Stieber High School: 4 x Ohio state champ         Dake High School: 2x NY state champ, 1x runner-up to Paddock

179 match winning streak; 184-1 record, 

Losing to D Taylor two weeks after Logan 

finished football season and it was a close 

match.

Stieber College: 4x NCAA champ; Hodge 1x       Dake College: 4 x NCAA champ at 4 weights 1x Hodge

4x Big Ten champ                                            3 x Ivy League champ, 1 x runner-up

119-3* redshirt losses no on                              137-4

record

career pins & techs ? a lot                              83 Bonus wins, 44 pins, 30 majors

Stieber Freestyle: 2009 (High school junior) 4th senior world team trials; 3rd US open

2011 Junior world runner up to Asgharov 1-1; 4-6.....also 4th senior world team trials

2012  US World team runner-up, losing to Coleman Scott (3-0, 1-0; 2-0, 0-1, 2-0) who won Bronze

2013 US World team third, beating Nick Simmons 8-0 for fourth

My take is that Logan is a better freestyler, for the most part. The trials this year will tell much there.  Dake and Logan are basically even in college, with Dake's career having the feathers of beating Taylor, no redshirt, and maybe 4 different weights, though I find that doesn't matter to me.  Dake did lose in his conference tourny once, and Logan dominated more consistently, but I do concede Dake had THE run.  Total career will be measured these next few years though. They need to win world medals to get in the boat with Cael. Pat Smith had the most pressure though. They all did it differently.  

Still going forward in freestyle, I like Logan's chances a little more.  Though Logie never will have to beat a guy like J Burroughs to make the team.  As a Buckeye or Cornell guy, I can't imagine either fanbase would want anyone other than the guy they got. 

Logan won junior high states three times (6th,7th,8th).

As  to overall college record, it was discussed in another thread a while back that the NCAA keeps no official records of participants "career" records. I guess that leaves it up to individual institutions to track, which makes it a legitimate topic for fans.

Thus the situation arises where one institution might not count a wrestler's losses, where the institutions of his victorious opponents are sure as hell counting the wins.