Sign in to follow this  
49northwrestling

New Month, New Greco Rules

Are these official or just a proposal?  2 points for a 'correct hold' w/o a takedown and -2 points for defending a gut wrench lock?  Why would you take out high amplitude throws??

These are without a doubt the worst rules I have ever read.  But they sound stupid enough to be real.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Are these official or just a proposal?  2 points for a 'correct hold' w/o a takedown and -2 points for defending a gut wrench lock?  Why would you take out high amplitude throws??

These are without a doubt the worst rules I have ever read.  But they sound stupid enough to be real.

From what I'm told, effective immediately for Cadet and Junior, Senior either at or after Worlds

Getting rid of grand amplitude is asinine. Why launch someone with no incentive? In both free and greco giving 2 for any takedown and 4 to danger is like making a touchdown in football worth 14. It is an artificial way to make the sport appear more exciting with higher scores. Is a tech fall still 10 points?

Getting rid of grand amplitude is asinine. Why launch someone with no incentive?

Now you can see a lot of throws in freestyle and there aren't 5 points. With the high amplitude throws you can "demolish" your opponent. Throwing is the martial aspect of wrestling. So there is a good incentive.

PS

According to the last UWW ruleset :

2 points :

To the wrestler who executes a grand amplitude hold and secures control, but does not place the opponent in a direct and immediate danger position in Freestyle wrestling.

4 points

To the Greco-Roman wrestler performing a hold in a standing position, which brings his opponent into a danger position by direct projection over a short amplitude.

To the Freestyle wrestler who brings his opponent into a danger position by direct projection and demonstrates control. Short amplitude is not required in Freestyle.

For any hold executed by raising a wrestler from the ground, over a short amplitude, even if one or both of the attacking wrestler’s knees are on the ground.

Edited by WreslingSuperior

No high amplitude? The ONE rule that's easy to undesrstand for even a casual viewer? Why? Why? I can't even....

NO breaking hold on parterre?  Stooooooopid. So stupid in fact, that I'm all for removing ground wrestling all together. 

Why not remove GUT WRENCH, if the move is the problem? Just stop giving points from it. It's a silly move, with no real martial reason. Why would you wan't to spin your opponent around and over you? Your opponent does not stay in danger, he just spins around. Most greco wrestlers don't seem to even try any other move on par terre now.

Changing the pushout -rule. So, me forcing my opponent out of the mat is no longer considered an attack, but an error? Ok then. 

So many stupid things. Can't compute.

Does not compute.

Argh.

When I wrestled greco back in the Stone Age, you were not allowed to grab wrists, hang on a 2-on-1, bury your head in the man's chest, etc.  All were considered passive and the ref would slap your hands (literally) to make you let go and wrestle chest to chest.  I like this rule.  The idea should be to attack the body and lock something up, with alternate strategy to attack a limb in an armspin, headlock, etc.  A 4-point lift with exposure from par terre is good--should see some bodies flying, which is the whole point.  And 5 point grand amplitude, why get rid of what was the Big Lebowski of the game?  Not a fan of that change....

When I wrestled greco back in the Stone Age, you were not allowed to grab wrists, hang on a 2-on-1, bury your head in the man's chest, etc.  All were considered passive and the ref would slap your hands (literally) to make you let go and wrestle chest to chest.  I like this rule.  The idea should be to attack the body and lock something up, with alternate strategy to attack a limb in an armspin, headlock, etc.  A 4-point lift with exposure from par terre is good--should see some bodies flying, which is the whole point.  And 5 point grand amplitude, why get rid of what was the Big Lebowski of the game?  Not a fan of that change....

There are moves and throws that require you to bury your head in the opponents chest in greco. That's why I don't like the chest-to-chest rule, it removes possibilities.

LIFT FROM PAR TERRE AND PLACING THE OPPONENT IN A DANGER POSITION

The wrestler who executes a hold by lifting his opponent from the ground and placing him in a danger position will score 4 points.

Does this mean the attacking wrestler has to lift his opponent completely off the mat and place him in danger for 4?  Or by "lifting his opponent" mean turning?  I'm picturing a body lift and turn attempt in which part of the opponent's body stays in contact with the mat but still ends up "in danger".  Say, you turn the guy over one shoulder. 

"Also, bottom wrestler must not prevent the top wrestler from executing a hold by breaking or holding his fingers and/or wrists. He is only allowed to push from his opponent's torso not the arms at all."

Wtf?  So, the bottom guy can't try a counter now or reversal?  Or even a stand up (not saying one would want to but if you can't break your opponents grip, then why attempt a standup). 

Why would anyone want to participate in this?  I read these rules and ask myself, "Where is the appeal to participate in greco roman over freestyle or some other grappling art?"

When coaches stop coaching "to battle for position" or "to unbalance you opponent" or simply stop finding ways around the rules and go back to good solid TRUE Greco wrestling, we won't need to tweak the rules! Spending 2 minutes of a 3 minute period shoulder bumping and hand grabbing isn't wrestling!

Hips in- chest up - if you are going to lower your head, USE IT! Hanging on a 2 on 1 is not offensive wrestling!

The push out is not a wrestling move... Backing to the edge to "save you" is not a wrestling move...

Burying your head in your opponent's chest isn't wrestling - using your forehead/ face to gain position is a start!

Bottom wrestling where you grab their hands/ pinch their arm to your hip/ hold on to the wrist and flail while looking at the referee isn't wrestling! Open your position and battle with sound hip position and pressing back in to the lock!

Bottom line - coaches and wrestlers need to focus on wrestling skills and ways to score and stop worrying about what you CAN'T do!

There are moves and throws that require you to bury your head in the opponents chest in greco. That's why I don't like the chest-to-chest rule, it removes possibilities.

The number of moves/action possible by burying your head is outweighed by the number of moves/action possible by chest to chest and keeping your head up.  If you momentarily bury your head and use it to set an attempt, okay, but prolonged hiding is just boring.  IMO