Sign in to follow this  
littlethadd

Top Incoming Freshman by weight

Hey guys, just sitting at work bored so I thought I'd throw together a list of my picks for top incoming frosh. Im sure yours are different and Im sure yours are better, but i thought this could start some discussion on incoming frosh.

125 -- Elijah Oliver (Washington, IL) Indiana -- Hes goooood, like scary good. Multiple time state champ (3x TN  and 1 in IL) Fargo champ.

My homer pick -- Chris Debian (Chattanooga, TN) UTC -- 4x TN state Champ, NHSCA Sr nationals champ, holds wins over the number 1 and number 5 at 126. Finished the season at 132 but cut for sr nats, I would pick him to be #1 but Oliver has pinned him and majored him.

133 -- Kaid Brock (Stillwater, OK) Ok St -- Slick, I dont think he will have much of a problem transitioning into college wrestling. 3x Ok state champ. 2nd at Junior World Championships.

141 -- Matthew Kolodzik (Blair Academy, NJ) Princeton -- Blair just produces studs, 2x prep national champ, fargo champ, ironman champ, fila junior runner up...yeah Coach Ayres got a good one here.

149 -- Michael Kemerer (Franklin Regional, PA) Iowa -- We'll see if hes able to crack the starting lineup as a frosh but his list of credentials speak for themselves... In his career Kemerer has won the POWERade Championship twice and the WPIAL Tournament once. In two trips to the prestigious Walsh Ironman Tournament Kemerer has placed twice including a runner-up finish in 2013. At the Super 32 he won the 2011 Championship and placed second in both 2012 and 2013.

157 -- Vincenzo Joseph (Pitt Central Catholic, PA) PSU -- Cael stayed instate with this 2x PIAA state champ.

165 -- Alex Marinelli (St Paris Graham, OH) Iowa -- 3x Ohio state champ, 2x Ironman medalist. Kids a beast.

174 -- Anthony Valencia (St. John Bosco, CA) Arizona State -- 2x Ca state champ, 3x Doc Buchanan champ, Ironman Champ, him and his brother both will be huge assets to Zeke at ASU

184 -- Zahid Valencia (St John Bosco, CA) Arizona State -- 2x Ca state champ, 3x Doc Buchanan champ, and the only wrestler since DT to win 4 Ironman titles. HIm and his brother will launch the ASU program into the spotlight.

197 -- Lance Benick (Totino Grace, MN) Arizona State -- 4x Mn state champ, Fila Cadet national champ and Cadet triple crown. Another stud for Zeke

Hwt -- Zach Chakonis (Don Bosco Prep, NJ) Northwestern -- NJ state champ, will fill in nicely for a graduating McMullan.

Well there you go, what do you guys think? Where did I go wrong? Let me have it, or add ur own input.

Kemerer won the 2014 Ironman and 2014 Super 32. I figure that would be a better note than his runner-up performances. He also has defeated the #5 and #4 ranked guys at PIAAs, defeated #3 at Dapper Dan, and beat #2 at AGON. Four top 5 wins in the span of less than a month.

I would say Fox Baldwin might be the best 165 recruit. I know he went up to 170, but he handled Marinelli fairly well in the Super 32 finals, won his match at Dapper Dan a day after winning his state title.

I would probably take Piccininni over Oliver for 125 too.

Edited by hawktalk3

Kemerer won the 2014 Ironman and 2014 Super 32. I figure that would be a better note than his runner-up performances. He also has defeated the #5 and #4 ranked guys at PIAAs, defeated #3 at Dapper Dan, and beat #2 at AGON. Four top 5 wins in the span of less than a month.

I would say Fox Baldwin might be the best 165 recruit. I know he went up to 170, but he handled Marinelli fairly well in the Super 32 finals, won his match at Dapper Dan a day after winning his state title.

I would probably take Piccininni over Oliver for 125 too.

Do you see Kemerer projecting as a 149? If so, is Sorenson a lifer at 149, or does he go up/down? I'm assuming they don't want to sit Kemerer for 2 years after he RS, of course. (A lot of assumptions, figured you can shed more light)

Before the season Sorensen said he felt he could win a NCAA title at 149, given his success I think it's possible he ends up a lifer at that weight.

Also, in an interview with Kemerer he said he thinks there is a good chance he could grow a little more into 157, so I figure he is going to RS and from there they will see how his body is and if either needs to go up a weight.

I think next year we see Sorensen at 149, Grothus maybe at 157 and then from there maybe a new decision gets made. I bet Kemerer spends his RS year at 157 too, as a kind of testing of the waters.  

Edit to add my personal opinion: Right now I think they both look like 149 pounders, but a lot can change a year from now.

Edited by hawktalk3

Before the season Sorensen said he felt he could win a NCAA title at 149, given his success I think it's possible he ends up a lifer at that weight.

Also, in an interview with Kemerer he said he thinks there is a good chance he could grow a little more into 157, so I figure he is going to RS and from there they will see how his body is and if either needs to go up a weight.

I think next year we see Sorensen at 149, Grothus maybe at 157 and then from there maybe a new decision gets made. I bet Kemerer spends his RS year at 157 too, as a kind of testing of the waters.  

Edit to add my personal opinion: Right now I think they both look like 149 pounders, but a lot can change a year from now.

Makes sense. Kemerer started as a 106 (albeit, a very big one) and still has a decent sized frame.

Wasn't there a rumor of Grothus to 141 this year? I have to assume he gets in the lineup next year at 141 or 157, any chance he goes down or did I get bad info?

174 OhioStateU both Myles Martin and Kolin Moore look like good ones. Valencia barely nipped Martin. 

141 OSU Ke-Shawn Hayes looks good. Right on Kolodzick's heals.  

125 Jose Rodriguez is top 5 incoming, but may not be beating Nate T anytime soon.  Still looks good and should provide depth and possibly grow. 

Edited by Fishhook

Makes sense. Kemerer started as a 106 (albeit, a very big one) and still has a decent sized frame.

Wasn't there a rumor of Grothus to 141 this year? I have to assume he gets in the lineup next year at 141 or 157, any chance he goes down or did I get bad info?

He did and the cut did not go well. I think he was going to try and make weight for the Virginia dual in the regional qualifier for national duals. He got close, but I think he wasn't feeling like he could really wrestle at that weight.

By then it was too late for him to get his body recovered to challenge for 157 last year.

^ people said very similar things about his brother, who has so far not impressed or lived up to his hype. Granted, they took away his entire top game by banning the neck wrench, but still.

Logan is a more complete wrestler than Taylor. His leg attacks are more efficient and Logan scrambles better. Taylor is a better upper body wrestler and is probably stronger, but from what I hear, Logan beats the majority of UM wrestlers right now. 

I absolutely agree about checking their age before making an opinion on how well they will do. Look at Grey at Cornell. Two years in age means a lot more matches. The wear and tear on their bodies is huge. Give me an 18 yo freshman with a good background over a 20 yo most any day.

Won't Cenzo start out at 149 for Penn State? If so, I would place him in front of Kemerer and then find another guy for 157. 

Good god

Hey Otis, maybe we should consider Max Thomsen at 149 since he just caught up to Kemerer, beating him 6-4 last week, and maybe we should just leave Cenzo as the top 157 after he teched the Iowa State Champ at that weight last week. The Des Moines Register called Cenzo's win over the Independence, Iowa kid "a takedown clinic". 

Hey Otis, maybe we should consider Max Thomsen at 149 since he just caught up to Kemerer, beating him 6-4 last week, and maybe we should just leave Cenzo as the top 157 after he teched the Iowa State Champ at that weight last week. The Des Moines Register called Cenzo's win over the Independence, Iowa kid "a takedown clinic". 

I feel sorry for you if you are this excited over Joseph TF'ing a kid that's not even in the top 20 weight class rankings. The fact that you thought it would actually be a dig against Iowa makes you look the fool. Straw is a good kid, but no one was expecting anything different than the outcome that took place in Independence.