Sign in to follow this  
bob_meadows_167

King Kyle

If Dake is:

1) Boring

2) Does nothing

3) A bad example for little kids

Then anyone who loses to him must be pretty mediocre. So I guess David Taylor must be one of the most mediocre of recent returning Hodge winners. That's a pretty harsh assessment of Taylor. I for one actually think he's a great wrestler.

What is boring or not boring to you may differ from someone else. I'd just much rather watch and offensive juggernaut versus a defensive juggernaut on a consistent basis.

Can that not be accepted?

[highlight=#e1ebf2]Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but "boring" doesn't seem to be a suitable adjective to describe Dake. Maybe you should have just said that you find some other wrestlers' styles more exciting. Boring means "uninteresting and tiresome; dull." I don't think Dake meets that definition at all. In fact, he can be pretty exciting in his own way. For one, he has an uncanny ability to fight off shots that would score on just about anybody else. He did that to Montell Marion for his first title and also to Taylor in their All-Star match.[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2]At any rate, anyone who wins a national championship as a true freshman, while only losing twice on the season; repeats that feat as a sophomore; then goes undefeated while winning a 3rd title (and finishing 3rd in the Hodge voting) isn't boring in my book.[/highlight]

If Dake is:

1) Boring

2) Does nothing

3) A bad example for little kids

Then anyone who loses to him must be pretty mediocre. So I guess David Taylor must be one of the most mediocre of recent returning Hodge winners. That's a pretty harsh assessment of Taylor. I for one actually think he's a great wrestler.

What is boring or not boring to you may differ from someone else. I'd just much rather watch and offensive juggernaut versus a defensive juggernaut on a consistent basis.

Can that not be accepted?

[highlight=#e1ebf2]Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but "boring" doesn't seem to be a suitable adjective to describe Dake. Maybe you should have just said that you find some other wrestlers' styles more exciting. Boring means "uninteresting and tiresome; dull." I don't think Dake meets that definition at all. In fact, he can be pretty exciting in his own way. For one, he has an uncanny ability to fight off shots that would score on just about anybody else. He did that to Montell Marion for his first title and also to Taylor in their All-Star match.[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2]At any rate, anyone who wins a national championship as a true freshman, while only losing twice on the season; repeats that feat as a sophomore; then goes undefeated while winning a 3rd title (and finishing 3rd in the Hodge voting) isn't boring in my book.[/highlight]

Point in case... Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm personally a fan of high scoring offense.

By the way, I love how anytime you say something that someone disagrees with, it becomes personal and offensive. I thought the forums were to voice your opinion and correspond with other users, not necessarily to attack others integrity because they don't share the same thoughts about a certain subject?

djd: I have mind reading ability. Even though you have only 2 posts, I am going to guess that you are against the nwca national duals format proposal for team championship.

True?

First off, my old account was deleted for some reason so I had to make a new one. Second, I am not against the NWCA national duals. But I do think that the way that Team and individual champions are crowned now is the right way to do it. I would be fine with a team DUAL champion, but i believe that the NCAA tournament team champion should also stay.

Guest Hammerlock3
By the way, I love how anytime you say something that someone disagrees with, it becomes personal and offensive. I thought the forums were to voice your opinion and correspond with other users, not necessarily to attack others integrity because they don't share the same thoughts about a certain subject?

you're the first pu$$y to act offended and indignant.

you're the first pu$$y to act offended and indignant.

Flexing those keyboard muscles sure help ya!

a lot more than your nonsensical response

Nonsensical response? Yeah, because I think Dake is boring. Sorry there are much more entertaining wrestlers to me and you can not accept that.

I'm sure you'd rather watch Dake than Taylor, right?

Guest Hammerlock3

you're tiring me out, but yet again i will say....you are the only person on hear who is obviously emotional and can't handle others opinions.

you're tiring me out, but yet again i will say....you are the only person on hear who is obviously emotional and can't handle others opinions.

BS! I'm not the one calling others 'whiners' because they stated their opinion. I have always given credit where credit is due and said Dake is currently the king of his weight. Period! It doesn't make him remotely close to exciting to watch.

Leave it at that.

I think Dake is boring. I liken it to watching Zack Rey. I respect his winning way but it's not fun to watch.

To be honest, when Dake faces a highly ranked opponent I get excited more often hoping he gets hit for stalling. I think he has the skills to score and be more active but he most often (almost always) isn't dinged and I'm let down much like the finals of the 2010 Scuffle (or was it 2011? They are always around New Year's. Regardless...the Dake vs. Molinaro final).

Was it more or less boring than when Burroughs beat Caldwell 2-1. Dake boring? You people are missing a common denominator here.

It happens.

JB and Caldwell met quite a few times. Wrestlers learn each other. The fact is - almost ALL JB's other matches were exciting and fun. Yes, close matches do happen when great wrestlers wrestle. It's all the other matches in between.

I can easily see both arguments, no need to get personal.

Dake , if you aren't a fan can be boring. If you think close matches coming down to an escape or a stall call is boring then so be it.

At the same time some guys could say Taylor being up by bonus every match and not in any danger is boring.

It seems to me that you are the one who is a bit emotional and can't handle other peoples opinions. You are the one who has called him a whiner and a Pu$$y. Sounds like you are the emotionally invested one. Making yourself look real mature with the personal attacks though.

As for the topic:

I ,for one, am in the category that thinks that Dake is one of the best wrestlers we have seen in a long time. I do think he can be a pretty boring wrestler though against top competition. Not anywhere near as bad as Varner though. He can of course be an exciting wrestler. I love watching him get in a good scramble. I'd love to see him start opening up against top competition. I remember sitting watching finals last year thinking that he could have opened up on St John and scored 4-6 more points easy. That does not make him any less of a talented wrestler of course. Some of you seem to have difficulty understanding differentiating between the two.

I'll also say some of the best matches I've seen have been 1 point matches. Many of the worst ones have been as well.

All of these things are subjective though.

You are exactly right, he does nothing. He is the king of stalling. At the all star match, we took a group of kids from the mat club that i was a part of in high school to watch and what am i supposed to say when Dake is wrestling? I could not say that his wrestling is good to show kids who are new to the sport. And once again to compare Dake to Cael is rediculous.

1. Cael scored bonus points in 87% of his matches (139 out of 159) as compared to dake at 57% (62/109)

2. To say Cael's accomplishment isnt as good as kyle's potential accomplishment because Cael

didnt win at four different weights is ridiculous. Because the jump in weights in the heavier

weights is far more significant

3. CAEL WENT UNDEFEATED aka he never lost

Say the following:

"Kids, I know you want to throw 5 point moves and all and that is great. You'll beat up and pin lesser opponents and you'll be "EXCITING". Heck, you can beat those opponents with anything you do.

Unfortunately, winning at the highest levels requires things like a good stance so you don't get ankle picked 10x's in the same match, a stand up off the bottom so you don't get ridden like a donkey, a single leg that you can finish on anyone, and some quality defense/handfighting to put you on the same level as anyone that takes the mat against you."

Or you can shorten it,

"Only wrestle like Kyle Dake if you want to win"

Two points here:

1. Dake is very good, maybe even the best guy in college right now.

2. He is not that exciting to watch, especially compared to some other guys in action yesterday like Oliver or Stieber.

I don't see why both of these can't be true and it has to cause an argument. Too many people are seeing "Dake is kind of boring," but incorrectly understanding that to mean "Dake isn't that good."

Perhaps the posters on this forum haven't wrestled, or haven't taken the mat recently enough to remember the fear of losing.

Dake does what works for him, he's beaten the top two competitors three times this season and we're only halfway in.

10 years from March no one will remember who took second at 165, only the name on the Champion Line.

Two points here:

1. Dake is very good, maybe even the best guy in college right now.

2. He is not that exciting to watch, especially compared to some other guys in action yesterday like Oliver or Stieber.

I don't see why both of these can't be true and it has to cause an argument. Too many people are seeing "Dake is kind of boring," but incorrectly understanding that to mean "Dake isn't that good."

That's exactly what I am saying.

Great but boring! I'm not taking anything away from how good he is.