Sign in to follow this  
Hubbard

World Cup Thread

….  I don't believe Oliver is any sort of a factor at the weight class any longer, it's just too low for him and when he makes it, he just doesn't perform at his best…..

Agree that Metcalf is the prohibitive favorite, but JO is not factor?  I disagree.

1. JO has a win over Metcalf

2. Take a look at the first bout of WTTs last year (2nd pd in particular).  JO gave him all he could handle and this was after making his way through the challenger tourney.

3. For JO to beat him, IMO, he must with the US OPEN.  I believe they only weigh in on Thursday and JO is likely not to see Mercalf until Saturday night.  The negates some of the concerns about JO being able to handle the weight cut.

I agree Brent is the clear favorite, but saying JO is not a factor is not accurate IMO/ 

Mohammadi was maybe worn out after the Asgarov match, not sure why they didn't put him out. Esmailpour needs to go back to 61. At 65 he won't get past Mohammadi, and Taghavi and Yazdani will both be cutting to 65 for the olympics. No way he makes it past those guys. If goes back to 61 he has a good shot of winning medals at the world championships, even gold. Yes he won't have a shot at the olympics if he stays at 61 but I don't think he has much of a shot anyway. If Esmailpour does decide to stay at 65 then Ehsanpour is good enough to fill his spot. Had a good win over world champ Aliev.

Agree that Metcalf is the prohibitive favorite, but JO is not factor?  I disagree.

2. Take a look at the first bout of WTTs last year (2nd pd in particular).  JO gave him all he could handle and this was after making his way through the challenger tourney.

3. For JO to beat him, IMO, he must with the US OPEN.  I believe they only weigh in on Thursday and JO is likely not to see Mercalf until Saturday night.  The negates some of the concerns about JO being able to handle the weight cut.

I agree Brent is the clear favorite, but saying JO is not a factor is not accurate IMO/ 

JO's win over Metcalf was under the old best of 3 rules and had to be handed to him from the judges table. Metcalf originally won the 1st period, the call was challenged and upheld, then was overturned from a distance by the head table. Metcalf then won the next period and lost in the third. All 1-0 1-1 type scores. If the call isn't reversed from 100 feet away the match never even gets to the third. Since then Brent has widened the gap.

Has Metcalf gotten any better since college?

How is it that Burroughs was able to go straight from college to dominating at the world level, where the rest of our guys have trouble with the top Russians and Iranians?

Has Metcalf gotten any better since college?

How is it that Burroughs was able to go straight from college to dominating at the world level, where the rest of our guys have trouble with the top Russians and Iranians?

Yes, Metcalf has gotten better since college. And Burroughs athleticism is the main reason why he has transition to the international level more than anyone else. 

Edited by FreezeWrestling

so was Tervel injured or not? some conflicting posts...

Tervel looked pretty good this wkend and I believe would've beat the Ghasemi, who took ZERO shots v Rey. 

i think it was a decent performance for the US, more leg attacks would've been nice though. Scott's time appears to be up. Marable is solid, but we need someone more offensive, his main offense is a snatch single. Varner was clutch at the end v IRI, offense was non existent v Russia.

Ramos 2-2 Guy gives it all he has got and then more

Scott   1-3  Gas tank issues

Metcalf 4-0 Gives it all he has got every second

Marable 1-3 Amazing since he started wrestling late

Burroughs 4-0 Will beat Tsurgush. Fire is still there

Ruth/Foster 2-2 This is out most uncertain weight. If Ruth gives wrestling everything then we have a chance here.

Varner 3-1  The guy doesn't look like he is trying and wins 3 out of 4. Olympic Gold and shoe contract to blame?

Tervel/Rey 3-1 Tervel is as consistent as they come, always a medal threat.

More trenchant analysis from cletus.

I love the shifting criteria.

Diegnav and Varner are better because they won in the past. Pico is better because he lost to Brent last week, but he will be better in the future. Marable is better because he, well he once beat Burroughs in a minor tournament. 

Brent just went 4-0 this weekend, with wins against #16 ranked Chakaev (Russia) by TF and #6 ranked Ganzorig (Mongolia) by 8-2.

Don't you think you're being a little hard on him? And here I thought you were one of Brent's biggest fans... kinda like suzie was.... oh wait.... LOL!

And as far as your predictions for what happens in the future, your track record on guys' future success isn't really worth much.

Rosie,

you're better than that.   Give the guy a break?  My favorite guy on the team is Varner and I have his  stock down in the previous post.   

I didn't say Pico is better, hell on this very thread I have Metcalf ahead of him.   You want so badly to be the victim now you're inventing things to complain about.   I'm in agreement with others on this topic yet I'm the one who needs to give him a break?  I may not be a member of you and Vak's circle jerk, but because my assessment agrees with others on this board, I'm the one who needs to give him a break?  

Come on Rosie, you've shown yourself long ago to be better than that.   

Don't take it personal, Oliver clearly has the skill to beat Metcalf, my assessment is based on the difficulty Oliver has with making the weight.    If it makes you feel better, I don't believe Burroughs is a factor at Metcalf's weight either.   

If Oliver can get down to the weight (lets keep in mind the weight was made smaller) I've got Oliver and Brent about dead even.   Perhaps even slight edge to Oliver.   But unless that happens, he just is not going to make it through the tournament.   We've seen his performance dip when he pulls too much weight.   However with the above said, you are certainly welcome to your opinion

Good points, but I don't think Saitev would've overtaken an undefeated Slay in the pool, regardless.

Yeah maybe you're right, but Saitiev would still have had the chance to wrestle for Bronze, which Metcalf hasn't been able to do under the current system.

Every year it's the same thing... Metcalf starts tearing it up, everyone gets so high on him . Then he loses at worlds and everyone gets so down on him. The 65/66 kg weight is crazy, there's honestly about 15 guys who could win it every year. Safayran hasn't won a tournament since his gold, Romanov has 2 losses thus year. The weights nuts. Metcalf is one of the many guys who has a shot.

I understand putting Ghasemi in since he usually beats Dlagnev, but Esmailpour at 65? He's tiny! Presumably Dlagnevs pretty hurt if he's not wrestling .

Yazdanichara at 70 is awesome. I think he will win this years worlds. Bonne is awesome too but I'm done picking Cubans to win.

JO's win over Metcalf was under the old best of 3 rules and had to be handed to him from the judges table. Metcalf originally won the 1st period, the call was challenged and upheld, then was overturned from a distance by the head table. Metcalf then won the next period and lost in the third. All 1-0 1-1 type scores. If the call isn't reversed from 100 feet away the match never even gets to the third. Since then Brent has widened the gap.

Agreed,  Gap has widened and new rules favor Metcalf.

Still don't think it is fair to say that JO is not a factor at 65 (not your words -- but that is what I was responding to).  I give JO a 20% shot at Metcalf.

One more thing about the World Cup - loved seeing all the different personal coaches in the corner for the American wrestlers. Just thought it was cool to see all that coaching talent along with Coach Burnett.

Overall, great job guys. You gave it a great run!

A prohibitive favorite is someone who is so favored to win that it discourages competition.

A prohibitive favorite is someone who is so favored to win that it discourages competition.

And I think it does (or at least may).  I think Metcalf's performance over the last yeat may discourage Stieber from wrestling at 65.  Also can't help but wonder if Oliver would have been at 70 twice if Metcalf was not doing so well.