Sign in to follow this  
Hubbard

World Cup Thread

Was he hurt? I didn't notice. 

Ruth shot a single right off the whistle for the first period and Salas countered it and got a push out. Messed up his ankle in the process of doing so.

I'd say I was wrong in saying Salas is clearly the superior wrestler, but i'd definitely pick him to win if they wrestle again. 

Three notes

Nobody is telling me a score other than Ruth.

Coverage sucks as normal.

Wrestling as an Olympic sport is doomed..... folks that run it are to stupid.

All three of my notes are vaguely related.

Ruth shot a single right off the whistle for the first period and Salas countered it and got a push out. Messed up his ankle in the process of doing so.

I'd say I was wrong in saying Salas is clearly the superior wrestler, but i'd definitely pick him to win if they wrestle again. 

I went back and checked out the video. You are right. Something definitely happened. No doubt. Whether it affected Salas or not is tough to say but he was wincing from time to time.

How many times did Salas counter Ruth's shot and score with that underhook pseudo-throw/slide-by (don't know what the move is called)?

Salas is so strong and has so much positional sense he just overpowers people there. He also almost broke off Ruth's arm early in the first period. He's also an amazing scrambler in his own right. 

Three notes

Nobody is telling me a score other than Ruth.

Coverage sucks as normal.

Wrestling as an Olympic sport is doomed..... folks that run it are to stupid.

All three of my notes are vaguely related.

I agree completely (I think, I don't understand the first point). This is supposed to be a premiere event and it got all the coverage of a girls high school basketball game (no offence to the girls by the way).

The announcers were non-existent, useless. Was that really an announcer calling the match or were we just picking up some random conversation?

My twelve year old daughter kept screaming at the screen MOVE OUT OF THE WAY to the ref. I know, it would take two cameras and some production values to deal with that, but still.

Oh and the promotion was horrendous. The schedule had the date and time of the various rounds, as any good schedule should. But what it didn't say was whether the time was local time (PST) or East Coast (EST). Go figure, I wasn't sure. After all I'm spoiled and usually don't have to guess. Yeah, I figured it out, but it's freakin amateur hour and really bad for an international event to post event time in PST and not say so. How many casual fans missed it because the time was wrong. 

I'll give them credit for having the HD stream, I did not expect that. However the commentary was so messed up. First of all they only had commentary for one mat. Second you couldn't even hear the guy. Maybe it's like you said, the "commentator" was really just a fan sitting near the camera who was talking to himself and the camera picked it up. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Salas is so strong and has so much positional sense he just overpowers people there. He also almost broke off Ruth's arm early in the first period. He's also an amazing scrambler in his own right. 

How can an impoverished Cuban get that kind of strength

I give up..... I am as big a fan of this sport as anybody, but I am also more than broke, and can't get results.

This is a horrible sport to support.

57 Kg - Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez (Cub) df. Tony Ramos (Usa) By Fall, 4-2

61 Kg - Moikel Antonio Perez Gonzalez (Cub) df. Coleman Scott (Usa), 9-1

65 Kg - Brent Metcalf (Usa) df. Franklin Maren Castillo (Cub), 7-2

70 Kg - Nick Marable (Usa) df. Andy Yoan Moreno Gonzalez (Cub) By Tf, 10-0

74 Kg - Jordan Burroughs (Usa) df. Livan Lopez Azcuy (Cub), 6-2

86 Kg - Ed Ruth (Usa) df. Reineris Salas Perez (Cub), 22-13

97 Kg - Jake Varner (Usa) df. Javier Cortina Lacerra (Cub), 3-0

125 Kg - Zach Rey (Usa) df. Eduardo Mesa Rabi (Cub), 3-0

Edited by OKnowwhut

Ruth is clearly man of the hour here but JB and Varner beat defending world medallists also. Good performance here.

Ruth should have another great matchup with Iran if both teams make the finals as they should .