Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

75% of Streaming Problems could be Solved if.....

75% of Streaming Problems could be Solved if they simply started the streaming 30 minutes before the start of the event.

We would not mind having an empty may to stare at for 30 minutes.

This way any last minute issues that come up are known 30 minutes BEFORE the event starts.

To Richard Immel's credit, it looks like they took this advice and started the stream early today.

Same should have happened yesterday and at every event.

How does BTN and ESPN get quality streaming out of venues? Their own private satellite feed?

They hire competent technicians and care enough to do proper testing.  The issue is not money.  The issue is taking pride in one's work and giving a sh*t.  

Well, AF ... money IS a part of it. 

Do the Iranians just have more money than? Their broadcast was 100X better than that of UWW. And even though Immel stated that the internet went down in the forum, the Iranian broadcast had zero interruptions. Someone is either not telling the truth or completely ignorant of what is actually the problem. 

I'm not defending anyone here. I was screaming at my computer like the rest of you were. Money is a part of it. Is money the sole factor? Absolutely not. Maybe Iran was lucky enough not to have their cord kicked out of the wall or perhaps they have a lot more television resources with their connections in the U.S. media vs. what UWW has with American media, which in many cases, doesn't give two sharts about wrestling. 

This was bad. I'm not taking anyone's side, but I think we do expect a good product and we deserve a good product, but I think the comparisons to actual television companies with manpower and an IGB is not a truly great comparison, just on resources alone. I will say when I was at USAW, I must have run over 150 live streams. Only one failed. Some were sketchy at times, so I know about lacking manpower. I don't know if that was the issue here or not. I'm like you guys, watching from my desk at home. 

Now when comparing a stream from LA to one from Krasnoyarsk, then you guys are dead on accurate with the assessment -- money isn't always the case. It's frustrating for sure. I think we're also misjudging the depth of the Iranian population with media as it comes to what's here in the U.S. Example: VOA in NY is pretty big. They've got a pretty solid budget. 

Well, AF ... money IS a part of it. 

Just using this weekend as an example...

1. The stream starting 15+ mins late yesterday could have easily been avoided if they started the stream 30 minutes early like should be done,  Cost $0.

2. Immel's audio issues were apparently due to his mic --- this was what he said  via Twitter.  Having a better mic that is tested as well as a backup mic is very minimal cost.

3. I don't know root cause of the choppiness and eventual complete loss of feed this afternoon.  But as FREEZE points out, the feed from the Iranian site did not experience any of these issues.  I have a hard time accepting that the Iranians invested that much more money in their technology than us.  Thus, this points back to a technical issue, not money.  If in fact Iran does invest more $$ in their technology than we do, that is even more absurd/pathetic.

I don't doubt that money can play a factor is some streaming issues.  But usually that is not the case.  I don't think any of us are expecting streams to be of the caliber produced by ESPN for NCAAs, but I see no legitimate reason why it can't be as good as what B1G produces.

And if this was an isolated issue, I think we could all accept it.  But as we all know, streaming issues for wrestling events are as sure of a thing as death and taxes.

Edited by Angry_Fish

I don't think it's fair to compare the UWW stream with the stream of iranian tv.  The iranian stream was a stream of a TV channel, not a direct stream of the action.  With that said, this shows that they can change the name of the organization, but the incompetence is still there.  Why spend on the stream for the fans when the money can better be spent on an ivory backscratcher for the FILA board members. 

Just using this weekend as an example...

1. The stream starting 15+ mins late yesterday could have easily been avoided if they started the stream 30 minutes early like should be done,  Cost $0.

2. Immel's audio issues were apparently due to his mic --- this was what he said  via Twitter.  Having a better mic that is tested as well as a backup mic is very minimal cost.

3. I don't know root cause of the choppiness and eventual complete loss of feed this afternoon.  But as FREEZE points out, the feed from the Iranian site did not experience any of these issues.  I have a hard time accepting that the Iranians invested that much more money in their technology than us.  Thus, this points back to a technical issue, not money.  If in fact Iran does invest more $$ in their technology than we do, that is even more absurd/pathetic.

I don't doubt that money can play a factor is some streaming issues.  But usually that is not the case.  I don't think any of us are expecting streams to be of the caliber produced by ESPN for NCAAs, but I see no legitimate reason why it can't be as good as what B1G produces.

And if this was an isolated issue, I think we could all accept it.  But as we all know, streaming issues for wrestling events are as sure of a thing as death and taxes.

1. I agree completely. 

2. Mic isn't always the root cause. There could be breakout boxes and mixers where settings look good on the graphs and might come through fine in your ears, but unless someone tells you its bad, you have no way of knowing. I told Richard right away and they were working to figure it out. It's not always the mic. I'm not sure what you know about microphones, but I own about 12 of them. "Minimal cost" is a misnomer. You get what you pay for. I did the entire 2013 World Championships for FILA/UWW on a USB headset. Not ideal. I wasn't too happy with that quality, but it worked. You need a dynamic headset mic and those things aren't cheap if you want something that's durable. Agree with your point regarding the testing. I have no confirmation that actually did or didn't occur in LA. I've been in situations to where even when you test, something else comes up that you didn't prep for. Murphy's law. 

3. This was Iranian television. If we had a stream of the NBC Universal output, we'd see the same thing. A webcast designed to be a webcast and a stream from a television feed are not the same thing. I'll disagree with you hear. They're not using the same resources and likely (based on experience) paid for their own pipe. Just by watching the Iranian feed I can tell you they CLEARLY put in more time, resources and money into their TV broadcast. From my experiences, TV stations with this type of operation have more resources than a group like USA Wrestling would (or even UWW). It's not about "them" investing in technology. Iranian TV doesn't mean the Iranian version of USAW, it means Iranian TV. It'd be closely related to NBC than it would USAW. 

Big Ten has A LOT more money than UWW. I'd be happy if the UWW streams were on the same level as Flo, Trackcast, etc. Livestream was a step in the right direction, but I believe the lag issues is related to pushing out an HD stream vs. a stream that's got multiple rates (like at Worlds in 2013, where there were 240p, 360p, 720p, etc.)

Without being there to know, I can't comment specifically on what the issue was. 

Clearly not isolated. 

Edited by JasonBryant

I don't think it's fair to compare the UWW stream with the stream of iranian tv.  The iranian stream was a stream of a TV channel, not a direct stream of the action.  With that said, this shows that they can change the name of the organization, but the incompetence is still there.  Why spend on the stream for the fans when the money can better be spent on an ivory backscratcher for the FILA board members. 

Depends on whether or not the Iranian TV had a satellite up link from LA back to Iran and then streamed from there.  If so, your are right, it is not a fair comparison.  But if they streamed directly from LA, the the comparison is Apples-to-Apples.  

Sounds like the angry one should be starting his own streaming website soon, he knows it all and has all the solutions.

Why is it when some criticizes a product someone immediately throws out the "well, why don't you go start one?". It's ignorant to believe that people can't voice their opinions on an issue without the thought that they have to go materialize their thoughts in action. I can complain how my doctor's office runs things, but that doesn't mean I have to go to med school to show him how its done properly. Backwards thinking from you....