Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

US Open -- Why even enter at 75KG and 125KG

Burroughs and Dlagnev have zero reason to enter the event.  Earlier posts have suggested that at least JB, if not both of them, will forgo the event b/c they are already guaranteed a sport in the finals of the WTTs.

But doesn't similar logic apply to everyone else at these weights?  If one cannot earn the right to be in the finals of WTTs, nor gain any experience against JB/TD, why bother entering?  One reason would be if the person did not already have a bid sealed up for WTTs, but I am assuming (I know this is dangerous and I could be wrong) all the top guys at these weights (Rey, Fortune, Taylor, Dake, Howe, etc) all have bids already or would certainly have one extended to them (Dake) even if they did not enter the US Open.

Am I missing something here?

I doubt JB is too concerned about the rumors. However, when he talks about his legacy he is focused on the fans - so he wrestles because it's good for his career and the sport (fan base). I doubt he's itching for opportunities to knock his challengers back a notch. 

Angry_Fish raises some interesting questions, which we won't hear the athletes and coaches discuss. Their top priority is the health of the wrestler. 

I wouldn't wrestle it if I were in their position, but I'm not a world class bad@ss. I'm sure their logic and mine aren't the same.

you can't get better by foregoing events is why. you don't get better in the stands. 

Tell that to the Russians who sent their C team to the World Cup. Top Russians/Eastern Europeans generally compete 3-4 times a year, much less than we do.

A bye to the WTT finals is a good reason not to bypass the Open. JB does not automatically have a spot in the WTT finals does he? I thought it was medalists and Open champion? Sorry, I may be wrong, if so, sorry:-) 

Edited by PRyan2012

I believe Burroughs said last year that he won't be entering the US Open anymore. With his bronze medal at last year's world championships I believe he does have an automatic entry to the WTT finals and doesn't need to participate in the US Open. Tervel is the other example of this.

I am assuming (I know this is dangerous and I could be wrong) all the top guys at these weights (Rey, Fortune, Taylor, Dake, Howe, etc) all have bids already or would certainly have one extended to them (Dake) even if they did not enter the US Open.

Am I missing something here?

Here is the WTT qualifying criteria: http://content.themat.com/forms/2015-Trials-Procedures-MFS.pdf

You can see why the top guys need to go to the US Nationals. None of them have qualified for the trials yet except Burroughs and Dlagnev.

Even if someone were fortunate to knock Burroughs off at the WTT, the US would be foolish to send anyone other than JB to the Championship. He has proven he has the game to win it all or even medal when injured...no one else can make that claim at 74K. 

For all those that think we have 3 or 4 of the top guys in the world stacked up at this weight, you need to think again. The way Taylor got handled at Dogu just goes to show you we have one top guy at this weight, not multiple.  Until Dake can come back and win some top international events he should not be in the discussion either.

I also recall JB saying last year would be his final US Open.  His reasoning was that he has nothing to gain and he gives his top rivals more experience against him.

Absolutely. Burroughs is far and away our best wrestler. 

I'm all for being excited about guys like Dake and Taylor, but neither of them have shown they can do what Burroughs does. 

Katie.

Absolutely , I been excited for our young guns, but Jordan is our man he dominates. hes our guy 2016! I was drinking kool aid for a while ( Dake & Taylor) ! I Put down the glass this weekend!

Maybe Dake can go Greco. Taylor has to wait!

Also Metcalf really looking good! I think he has turned the corner. Wish Steiber could drop down!

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

I believe Burroughs said last year that he won't be entering the US Open anymore. With his bronze medal at last year's world championships I believe he does have an automatic entry to the WTT finals and doesn't need to participate in the US Open. Tervel is the other example of this.

You'd think he'd want the training aspect of it, and to mentally prepare for whatever he faces at WTTs

Maybe I'm missing something, but read the qualifying rules here: http://content.themat.com/forms/2015-Trials-Procedures-MFS.pdf

To me, that says there are a maximum of 8 spots in the challenge tournament and 5 of them are determined by the US Open.  So the reason you go to the US Open is it is by far your best chance to qualify for the 2015 World Team Trials.

Maybe I'm missing something, but read the qualifying rules here: http://content.themat.com/forms/2015-Trials-Procedures-MFS.pdf

To me, that says there are a maximum of 8 spots in the challenge tournament and 5 of them are determined by the US Open.  So the reason you go to the US Open is it is by far your best chance to qualify for the 2015 World Team Trials.

Maybe improve seeding for the challenge tournament as well and get a bye in the first round?