Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Yoel Romero

He moved there once UFC signed him. Germany gave him asylum when he fled Cuba, then the US gave him a green card once he was employed by the UFC. Has a lot of family in Miami. Romero needs to win this top 5 fight and he most likely gets a shot at Wiedman. If he loses, most likely he is done at 37 years old. He is an amazing physical specimen and great one. He threw matches with eastern Europeans because they would pay him. Makes me wonder about his loses to Adam Satiev. I know he lost to great wrestlers during his Olympic runs in Satiev and Sanderson just always in the back of my mind if he threw the matches. He was black in Spanish Cuba and that means you are very poor in that system. If he wins this next fight he will be set for life. Hope he does.  

2nd loss to Saitiev wasn't on purpose. He had it won twice, even celebrates in ot, got pretty screwed by the refs IMO. I don't think any of his losses (other than to Georgia, where he got suspended) look terribly suspicious but of course you never really know.

Didn't know he got hurt. His clock is ticking at his age. Hope he can hold that body together for two more fights! I would have loved to see him compete for a country like Germany to see him wrestle in freedom-to bad that didn't happen.  

I've been following Romero's career, am a big fan of him. He has been on some PPV and big FOX cards, so i'd assume he's making good money. I've seen a photo shoot he did at his house which looks pretty nice. Glad to see him doing well, since he said that the reason he defected is because he realised how terrible his conditions were in Cuba when he travelled around the world for wrestling and saw how athletes from other countries live. He's a freak of nature as an athlete and has adapted to MMA very well. If he'd defected earlier he'd probably be one of the best ever in MMA. I could see him getting to a title shot since he's probably only one win away, but the top of his division is stacked with good guys so it will be tough.  He's too old to win the belt, imo. But getting to the title shot alone means a big pay day. 

It's good to see him making real money, though. Alexis Vila also seems to be doing well for him self (was on a youtube documentary thingy called Miami Hustle) which is nice to see. Vila is way too old to keep going in MMA, though. Had some good wins at the start of his career but he's way past it now. 

Edited by Shiraz123

He made 78k for the Kennedy fight so I am guessing this next fight will be twice that. Then Weidman fight could be 300-500k or so. Hope he can win this next one. Dana appears to like him so and that is huge for a shot at Weidman.

He made 78k for the Kennedy fight so I am guessing this next fight will be twice that. Then Weidman fight could be 300-500k or so. Hope he can win this next one. Dana appears to like him so and that is huge for a shot at Weidman.

Tell me about his contract.   The way I understand it, guys are singed for a certain pay, no matter who the opponent is.  In other words, just because they give you a title shot, does not mean your pay increases.   An example would be one of the females (Cat perhaps?)  was on an $8k + $8k contract and got a title shot.   She made her $8k for the fight since she lost.   It may have been Carmouche.   I don't follow the women's fighting but I saw it on an article somewhere.   Does Romero have a championship clause in his contract? 

In the Kennedy fight he also made a 50k bonus for fight of the night, so he made more like 130k. He's been picking up a lot of bonus pay in his UFC fights. I believe his base pay has also been rising every fight, no way he was making 78k when he was fighting on the prelims.

Interesting tidbit that I didn't know until one of his fights, he is the older brother of Yoan Pablo Hernandez whos the #1 Crusierweight (200 lb) boxer in the world. Y

oan has 30 professional bouts, all of them have taken place in Germany.

Crazy genetics in that family. Looks like Germany has taken care of the Romero families! If not for UFC Yoel would have competed for Germany in London. Also,  I don't know the details about his contract just that he probably made around 130k total for beating Kennedy. His outside the top ten purses vary. 8k - 15k from what I hear. Then finally a top 10 guy in Kennedy where according to sherdog he made 78k then other bonuses? So 130k sounds right. Certain top 5 fights are about double that and certain title fights can double that. Romero vs Weidman could get Yoel 500k. This is all extreme ball park figures.

Edited by PRyan2012

your opponent has no bearing on your fight purse for the ufc unless you have a clause in your contract or are getting ppv points. about 3 years ago was the last I had any inside info and most guys were being brought in at 8k to show 8k to win. every win you bumped 2k. so after the first win you are now fighting for 10&10, then 12&12 and so on. obviously these are entry level guys and others had leverage to come in for higher purses. after the first contract you renegotiated and got what you earned. next tier guys usually made between 20&20 to 40&40. locker room bonuses occur often and are above and beyond the reported bonuses.

At UFC 182

Jones purse 500k

Cormier purse 140k

Under card

Cerrone 190k

Miles   70k

This is just an example and is all a ballpark average

Romero would need to beat Weidman to get rich it looks like.

Edited by PRyan2012