Sign in to follow this  
dhun

Burroughs and the NFL

Do you think Jordan has the capabilities to play in the NFL at any position. If trained right, I think he could easily be a running back. He is honestly one of the best athletes I have ever witnessed in my life.

I don't think anyone could 'easily' be an NFL running back.  He could probably get to about the size of Barry Sanders, so he isn't intrinsically "too small" if he wasn't making weight.  Probably does depend on his speed and catching abilities, which are difficult to develop (relatively) late in life.  Have to imagine that he would do extremely well in the NFL combine as jumping and agility aspects.

At about 5'7 and walking around under 200lbs there is no place for him in the NFL unless he can punt, kick or run a sub 4.4 in the 40.

There are plenty of running backs that can't play after high school because they are Burrough's size. Very few his size make it to a big time D1 program and rarely one of em becomes a "specialty" back in the NFL. There were/are/will be thousands of former football players wrestling in college that would rather still be playing football but their size dictated otherwise.

There are a significant and increasing number of impact players in the NFL around Burroughs height.

https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nfl/why-have-nfl-running-backs-gotten-shorter-a-statistical-investigation#.VSxI1pMsAsJ

The author suggests this trend is likely a function of increased passing and lists a number who were active one weekend in 2013: RB Ray Rice (5’8”), 49ers RBs Frank Gore (5’9”) and LaMichael James (5’9”), Patriots RBs Danny Woodhead (5’8”) and Shane Vereen (5’9”) and Falcons RBs Michael Turner (5’10”) and Jacquizz Rodgers (5’6”).

I would say Burroughs athletic ability is on par with those listed, but he would have to prove that he has (1) speed and (2) hands. It would be fun to watch.

At the high school level, I have noticed that the wrestling recruits from the football team that work out the best are often the running backs.

There are a significant and increasing number of impact players in the NFL around Burroughs height.

https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nfl/why-have-nfl-running-backs-gotten-shorter-a-statistical-investigation#.VSxI1pMsAsJ

The author suggests this trend is likely a function of increased passing and lists a number who were active one weekend in 2013: RB Ray Rice (5’8”), 49ers RBs Frank Gore (5’9”) and LaMichael James (5’9”), Patriots RBs Danny Woodhead (5’8”) and Shane Vereen (5’9”) and Falcons RBs Michael Turner (5’10”) and Jacquizz Rodgers (5’6”).

I would say Burroughs athletic ability is on par with those listed, but he would have to prove that he has (1) speed and (2) hands. It would be fun to watch.

At the high school level, I have noticed that the wrestling recruits from the football team that work out the best are often the running backs.

Thank you for supporting instead of trolling me! By any position, I mean can he make it to the NFL period. I was thinking about Ray Rice when I made the original thread.

At about 5'7 and walking around under 200lbs there is no place for him in the NFL unless he can punt, kick or run a sub 4.4 in the 40.

There are plenty of running backs that can't play after high school because they are Burrough's size. Very few his size make it to a big time D1 program and rarely one of em becomes a "specialty" back in the NFL. There were/are/will be thousands of former football players wrestling in college that would rather still be playing football but their size dictated otherwise.

5'7 and 200 lbs is fat.

He could probably get to about the size of Barry Sanders, so he isn't intrinsically "too small" if he wasn't making weight.  Probably does depend on his speed and catching abilities, which are difficult to develop (relatively) late in life.  Have to imagine that he would do extremely well in the NFL combine as jumping and agility aspects.

Saying JB could get to about Barry Sander's size so he isn't too small is like saying he isn't too short to win an NBA slamdunk contest because he's the same height as Spud Webb. Barry is one of the very best running backs in the history of the sport, easily on any top 10 list and on a lot of people's top 5 lists. He is my favorite RB ever. He is also among the shortest Hall of Fame-caliber RBs ever, if not the shortest.

Barry was Thurman Thomas's backup at Okie State, so I am familiar with their relative size. TT was maybe an inch taller, but weighed about the same, since Barry's legs were thicker and more powerful. Jordan's wife is related to Thurman Thomas (I think her sister or someone close to her married TT). I saw a recent picture of JB after he got married next to TT. Aside from being at least 2 if not 3 inches taller, the size difference was very apparent. JB says he gets to around 178 lbs when not cutting. He'd have to put on 25-30 lbs of pure muscle while preserving all his athleticism (and very likely having to improve it) to get to the physical standards appropriate to even get a look as an NFL RB. I'm not sure all the juice and HGH in the world could do it given JB is already a highly trained elite athlete in a strength sport.

RB is too much of a skill position for anyone nearing 30, undersized by 25+ lbs, to pick up and achieve NFL status. I could see CB maybe working out given the relatively limited demands of the position, but only if JB even has the requisite 40-yard speed. 

To give people some perspective, Greg Jones, 3x NCAA champ at WVU and an absolute freak of an athlete, got a tryout with the Steelers after college because he was such a sick athlete. I think he ran a 4.4 40, or something close to that. He wrestled TWO weights above JB and was at least 3 inches taller if not more. After one workout, Jones didn't even get invited back for a tryout.

We have some exceptional athletes in wrestling, but people sometimes forget how ridiculously athletic NFL players are, especially the smallest in size, and how ridiculously hard it is to make the NFL from a pure football skill perspective.

completely agree with everything you said, wrestlingnerd.  I brought up Barry Sanders to show how outrageously talented you have to be in order to be a RB at that height.  I don't care how explosive you are; you don't learn how to roll off a tackle and read an offensive line at an elite level at 28 years old.  That said, I do think JB is as good an athlete as anyone in the NFL, pound for pound, when you account for not only strength, speed, and power, but also endurance, flexibility,  kinestetic awareness, mental fortitude, etc.  Obviously, the NFL isn't a pound for pound activity. 

completely agree with everything you said, wrestlingnerd.  I brought up Barry Sanders to show how outrageously talented you have to be in order to be a RB at that height.  I don't care how explosive you are; you don't learn how to roll off a tackle and read an offensive line at an elite level at 28 years old.  That said, I do think JB is as good an athlete as anyone in the NFL, pound for pound, when you account for not only strength, speed, and power, but also endurance, flexibility,  kinestetic awareness, mental fortitude, etc.  Obviously, the NFL isn't a pound for pound activity. 

To be fair, I don't think any 26 year old NFL players could become world champion wrestlers. 

That said, I do think JB is as good an athlete as anyone in the NFL, pound for pound, when you account for not only strength, speed, and power, but also endurance, flexibility,  kinestetic awareness, mental fortitude, etc.  Obviously, the NFL isn't a pound for pound activity. 

Yes, when you account for all athletic traits, many NFL players fall short in a lot of sports since they have spent their entire lives specializing for football. I agree JB is an exceptional athlete in his own right. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he will even get a thought from an NFL scout. Otherwise, you'd see a lot more crossover with wrestling because of the financial rewards of making it to the NFL.

The very best shot Burroughs would have at making an NFL roster would be at punter.   Kicker is a bit too skilled, too much competition.   

If Burroughs got an elite coach and focused on punting around the clock,  he might be able to get a try out and then who knows.   I can't see him make it at any other position.  Not in the NFL.